Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Super Size VS Super Skinny (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801602-super-size-vs-super-skinny.html)

~PaperMoon~ 04-08-2013 09:46 PM

Super Size VS Super Skinny

This is a very interesting series, they should do an American version. :)

Trillex 04-09-2013 01:05 AM

I absolutely LOVE this show! But I don't think they could do it on American TV. Supersize v Superskinny is more about the psychology of eating, and not about drama and exploitation, so I don't think it would be popular here in America.

I was a major overeater and, HONESTLY, watching Supersize v Superskinny helped me take a constructive look at *why* I was eating so much food. Not everyone who is heavy is a chronic overeater but I definitely was, so this show genuinely helped me address that. It was just too easy for me to not mentally connect what I was eating with my health. And I don't think I would have made the progress I've made on Atkins -- or stuck with the diet all this time -- if I hadn't taken the Supersize v Superskinny step of connecting what I put into my body with what I'm doing to my health.

James v Modasser is the BEST episode, ever! It's from near the end of season 4 so if you haven't seen it you should definitely check that out.

There's a US version of another British Channel 4 show, How to Look Good Naked, and the US version is totally mean-spirited and exploitative (in my opinion) and isn't as interesting and revealing as the British version. I think an American version of Supersize v Superskinny would be all about looking at overweight people stuff themselves, without the sensitivity of the British version.

Secret Eaters is another great Channel 4 show. There's only one season but it's freakin fascinating. It shows how the "perception" of what a person is eating can be dramatically different from what they are actually eating. One guy drank 14 pints when he went out to the pub -- FOURTEEN -- and it just never occurred to him to think of that as something that might be contributing to his excess weight. It became obvious to him when it was pointed out, but it's so easy to think of having a drink as something completely separate from your daily food intake. Plus, they do really cute, fascinating experiments on food behavior in public places. The experiment with free ice cream was crazy!

~PaperMoon~ 04-09-2013 01:51 AM

Oh those other shows sound cool too! I will look for those.:) Yeah I'm just on season 1 of Supersize v Superskinny, I can't wait to see the episode you mentioned. And yeah I think you are right about the American version and how it would be! This show is very interesting and makes you think. I never used to make the connection of the food and how the size affected health when I was bigger either. I thought it was just all about how you look and that health had nothing to do with it, now I know better. It's easy for people to have a disconnect in their brain between things they eat and how it affects them. I'm glad this show helped you, I'm learning some things too. :)

xo ashley 04-09-2013 12:17 PM

I love this show!

KOO 04-09-2013 12:24 PM

I didn't realize it still came on. Thanks for posting about it, I will look it up again.

Mad4Chillas 04-09-2013 12:36 PM

I think I've posted about this show before. Love it!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...perskinny.html

~PaperMoon~ 04-11-2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad4Chillas (Post 16363465)
I think I've posted about this show before. Love it!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...perskinny.html

LOL I never saw that thread. Funny how we posted them in the same month exactly 1 year apart. :D

Dottie 04-12-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trillex (Post 16362457)
Plus, they do really cute, fascinating experiments on food behavior in public places. The experiment with free ice cream was crazy!

I haven't seen the shows you're talking about, but it sounds like it might be similar to one I saw back around halloween about halloween.
They had an entire street participating. 3 houses had "good" candy (king sized candy bars, brand names) and the rest had the cheap candy or non-food items to give out.
They filmed over the entire evening and the number of kids that circled back and went back to the "good candy" houses 4-5 times was around 90%. And you could hear the parents encouraging the kids to do it.

rubidoux 04-12-2013 01:33 PM

I like that show, too. And ITA, Trillex, that we would be mean-spirited if it were an american show. OTOH, there was that show with the woman from Georgia, I think it was maybe Ruby, who was, I believe close to 500 pounds to begin with and lost a lot of weight. I was surprised that it portrayed her as a fairly likable person. And, actually, there was another one from the US where they focus on two people per episode and work them pretty hard with the exercise and it is also not *too* mean spirited -- was it Extreme Makeover Weightloss Edition. I'm not sure if that was it -- but I think it is still a little shaming. And that punishing exercise thing is kind of over the top. There's also an Australian one that I like.

I haven't watched any of these in a long time, but I must admit that I like them all. Sometime I'll have to check out the British How To Look Good Naked.

~PaperMoon~ 04-13-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16369517)
I like that show, too. And ITA, Trillex, that we would be mean-spirited if it were an american show. OTOH, there was that show with the woman from Georgia, I think it was maybe Ruby, who was, I believe close to 500 pounds to begin with and lost a lot of weight. I was surprised that it portrayed her as a fairly likable person. And, actually, there was another one from the US where they focus on two people per episode and work them pretty hard with the exercise and it is also not *too* mean spirited -- was it Extreme Makeover Weightloss Edition. I'm not sure if that was it -- but I think it is still a little shaming. And that punishing exercise thing is kind of over the top. There's also an Australian one that I like.

I haven't watched any of these in a long time, but I must admit that I like them all. Sometime I'll have to check out the British How To Look Good Naked.

I remember that show, it was called Heavy. I liked it but sadly it only lasted 1 season. :sad: Yeah I liked that one much better without the competition aspect.

Trillex 04-13-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16368581)
I haven't seen the shows you're talking about, but it sounds like it might be similar to one I saw back around halloween about halloween.
They had an entire street participating. 3 houses had "good" candy (king sized candy bars, brand names) and the rest had the cheap candy or non-food items to give out.
They filmed over the entire evening and the number of kids that circled back and went back to the "good candy" houses 4-5 times was around 90%. And you could hear the parents encouraging the kids to do it.

I would really like to see this show! Do you know what it's called?

When we were kids, I would make my brothers go back to the "good" houses to get more Halloween candy. And the bulk of any "good" haul went mostly into my bag. I would give them *sad eyes* and they would hand over their candy. In hindsight, maybe some of this scheming should have been a red flag to someone about my food behavior... I didn't even really *love* candy as a child, I really just enjoyed the feeling of *winning* that came from having the biggest bag of the best candy. I've just now, at this moment, realized how completely crazy that is.

Strawberry 04-13-2013 12:21 PM

Ok, I'm about halfway through... I dont really get the point of this show.

You take a fairly normal, albeit thin, young girl (and who doesnt actually appear to be anorexic in her thought processes).... and have her on a binge eating diet? THAT is supposed to teach her better eating habits?

Then you have a bunch of overweight women bending over showing their bottoms... then they are on horse rides jiggling everywhere? I found this part really exploitive of overweight women. No one was helped here with eating habits or nutrition. This was pretty much exclusively to have people gawking at the overweight backsides of women.

Next up, we have some reporter doing the "eat only apples" diet, and predictably gets sick of them.

Back to Tatiana, whom we now learn is a martial arts expert (so apparently pretty healthy despite being thin) 19 year olds are typically thin, she would probably naturally put on weight as she ages and esp if she gives birth. As long as she isnt actively anorexic, I dont really see the problem.

The only REASONABLE thing on here, was putting the overweight lady on Tatiana's 1400 cal/day diet, which is what the overweight lady ought to be eating to lose weight.

Trillex 04-13-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 16370916)

You take a fairly normal, albeit thin, young girl (and who doesnt actually appear to be anorexic in her thought processes).... and have her on a binge eating diet? THAT is supposed to teach her better eating habits?

Then you have a bunch of overweight women bending over showing their bottoms... then they are on horse rides jiggling everywhere? I found this part really exploitive of overweight women. No one was helped here with eating habits or nutrition. This was pretty much exclusively to have people gawking at the overweight backsides of women.

Next up, we have some reporter doing the "eat only apples" diet, and predictably gets sick of them.

Back to Tatiana, whom we now learn is a martial arts expert (so apparently pretty healthy despite being thin) 19 year olds are typically thin, she would probably naturally put on weight as she ages and esp if she gives birth. As long as she isnt actively anorexic, I dont really see the problem.

The only REASONABLE thing on here, was putting the overweight lady on Tatiana's 1400 cal/day diet, which is what the overweight lady ought to be eating to lose weight.

When you describe it, to be honest, it does sound kind of terrible!

I find a lot of value, though, in their reactions while swapping diets. Both the supersizer and the superskinny are eating in a way that is extreme and potentially dangerous, but neither of them sees the inherent problems in their behavior until they watch someone else eating their diet. I don't think the point is to simply put someone on a different diet, but rather to try and give a person with disordered eating some sense of perspective about the way they're eating. Just moving someone from eating 4,000 calories per day to eating 1,400 calories per day would cause them to lose weight but it doesn't address the underlying pathology the way that the diet swap does.

The "reporter" segments were pretty terrible and worthless, in my opinion, during the first few seasons. But seasons 4, 5, and 6 use the reporting segments to examine the pathology of anorexia. I think it was season 4 that followed the weekly treatments of a small group of anorexics, showing some of the different interventions that therapists use. For example, just going into a supermarket with a shopping list was a painful emotional hurdle for the anorexic group during treatment. It made me aware of things that I would never have known about without the show.

Strawberry 04-13-2013 02:26 PM

Fortunately, the girl in this show didnt appear to be actually anorexic (at least from what was shown), she just was picky and didnt eat alot. But it would be a horrible idea to put an anorexic on a binge eating diet... you would run the very huge risk of converting them from anorexic into binge eating and then they would likely turn to some sort of terrible purging behavior (vomiting, laxatives, extreme exercise, etc) that would be even more harmful than restricting food.

And yes, they totally failed to address the overweight womans emotional issues with nightly binge eating. I felt so bad for her saying she liked the warm food because it gave her a "hug inside" when she was sad. Sticking her on a super restrictive diet probably wont work long term.

I probably was most horrified though by just taking a group of overweight women and parading them around in their underwear and showing them jiggling while sitting on a mechanical horse (that was NOT exercise at all, it was SITTING while being jiggled).

Trillex 04-13-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 16371076)
Fortunately, the girl in this show didnt appear to be actually anorexic (at least from what was shown), she just was picky and didnt eat alot. But it would be a horrible idea to put an anorexic on a binge eating diet... you would run the very huge risk of converting them from anorexic into binge eating and then they would likely turn to some sort of terrible purging behavior (vomiting, laxatives, extreme exercise, etc) that would be even more harmful than restricting food.

One of the things I learned from the later segments on anorexia is just how difficult it is for anorexics to get treatment because it's difficult for them and for society to identify their problem behavior before it becomes clinically extreme. The "picky" eating on the show is a disordered eating pathology because we're dealing with people who *can't* eat more than 1,000 or 1,200 calories per day because of their relationship with food. I don't think the point of the show is to put them onto a binge eating diet, just to show them that they don't have to *fear* food -- to show that they can actually eat larger quantities and a wider variety of food without suffering whatever consequences they're initially afraid of.

There was one superskinny who had been heavy and then went on a 1,000 calorie per day diet and she couldn't stop eating that diet -- even when she became dangerously underweight -- because she was terrified of becoming heavy again. She needed to learn that there is a manageable middle ground between starving herself into illness and eating herself back up to obesity. There was also a "vegetarian" who didn't like vegetables, so something like 75% of her daily calories came from soda because soda was a way of killing her hunger that didn't require her to face her anxiety around food.

It's easier to identify the problems in the supersizers who are binge eating and feeding their emotions with food. But society has a way of allowing people to dangerously undereat because their pathology is much more difficult to identify. There was another superskinny who only ate "health food" so, to someone who wasn't closely watching her behavior, it could seem as if she was eating a certain way because she was health conscious. But the underlying pathology was her extreme fear of food-related mortality. And rather than eating her way into better health, her food avoidance meant that she wasn't getting enough protein to support her body mass and she was getting an extremely limited array of daily nutrients.

I think the problem with the level of "picky" eating that we see on the show is that it's the result of underlying fears and anxieties that prevent these individuals from eating a body-sustaining level of nutrients. If it were just about food preferences, I don't think there would be a problem. But when a person's relationship with food limits their diet to the extent that they're underweight and continuing to lose weight, it's an emotional health issue and not a question of liking or disliking certain foods.

Dottie 04-13-2013 04:13 PM

Trillex I think it was on either the History2 channel or the D-life channel. They did a whole "history of food and holidays" segment.
I'll see if I can google and find the exact program name.

clackley 04-13-2013 05:21 PM

I watched about 2/3 of it and could not stomach any more. The message seemed to be that skinny people just don't eat enough and fat people eat too much. Fat makes you fat and all that jazz....old school and uninformed. Perpetuation of all the old beliefs.

lisamt 04-13-2013 05:37 PM

I watched the episode until Gillian McKeith appeared, and had to stop. :down:

Strawberry 04-13-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

One of the things I learned from the later segments on anorexia is just how difficult it is for anorexics to get treatment because it's difficult for them and for society to identify their problem behavior before it becomes clinically extreme
YES!
I cant speak for the particular girl on the show.... but your typical anorexic would love to have their disordered eating portrayed as just "oh, I'm just picky... oh I'm just not hungry"
It would have been far more instructive to show a girl of her size worrying about her weight, pushing food around on her plate hoping her family wouldnt notice her not eating, running 8 miles to burn it off, gulping down water to try to quell her hunger when her body is starving. And then actually have a psychiatrist delve into those feelings and help her conquer them (not just put her on the 4000 cal/day diet of the binge eater).

Another reason why its so hard for eating disorders to get any help (whether anorexia or binge eating or whatever) is that most insurance companies will not pay for any sort of counselling or inpatient treatment. Most insurance companies will only pay for emergency room treatment with fluids and electrolytes. THATS IT. So if you manage to screw yourself up enough to the point of nearly dying from an electrolyte disorder, you can get tuned up in the ER... but then you are back on your own. So people with binge eating disorder or anorexia are left to try to find info online or in books to overcome their problems without help.

~PaperMoon~ 04-13-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 16370916)

The show is not just about stuffing skinny people and starving fat people, it's about how both extremes are equally destructive and that being too thin is just as bad as being too big. You have to find the middle ground. If you don't think that girl was too skinny then your view has been tainted by the media because she was too thin. Okay I did hate the part about the big bum lady that's the worst part of the show, but the rest is pretty interesting. The reporter eating the apples was just showing how crazy fad diets don't work. ;)

Strawberry 04-13-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

If you don't think that girl was too skinny then your view has been tainted by the media because she was too thin.
Going on BMI criteria, she is too thin. However, I wouldnt get over excited about it in a 19 year old who probably still has some natural filling out to do, as long as she wasnt exhibiting any majorly disordered eating or thought processes. They portrayed her as just having a small appetite and wanting to gain weight, not a secretive starving anorexic purposely pushing food around a plate instead of eating. If she were older, I would be more concerned, but some people are actually just that thin. Any more than I would get overly excited about someone with a BMI of 26-27 if they were eating a well balanced healthy diet. Whereas, I would be extremely concerned about someone with a BMI of 26 starving, binging, purging to maintain that.

And I really dont understand why one would bring in someone suffering from binge eating at night to "coach" the thin person on eating more and put the overweight woman on a rabbit diet that doesnt even properly nourish a thin 19 year old. Its like blind leading the blind. Just a weird show overall!

Ntombi 04-14-2013 12:31 AM

I've seen several episodes from a couple of seasons. I don't love it, but I do like it and find it interesting.

I think there are some better and worse episodes, like anything else. I don't particularly like the doctor's take on nutrients, but it's absolutely true that almost all of the participants--on both ends of the spectrum--have some disordered eating habits, and some have some deeper psychological issues. I'm not sure that this is the format to properly address them, but what television show is?

~PaperMoon~ 04-14-2013 03:33 AM

I'm on the second season now and it's even better than the first season. The big bum lady is gone so that automatically makes it lot better. :) Yeah I do think it's very interesting. I liked the lady with the 3 good looking men carrying trays, but they are gone too but it's still good and getting better.

nolcjunk 04-14-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ (Post 16371707)
If you don't think that girl was too skinny then your view has been tainted by the media because she was too thin. Okay I did hate the part about the big bum lady that's the worst part of the show, but the rest is pretty interesting. The reporter eating the apples was just showing how crazy fad diets don't work. ;)

I think actually our perception has been tainted the other way, that someone who is a little overweight seems average and is the new normal, and someone who is thin is seen as too skinny.

Pami 04-14-2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisamt (Post 16371343)
I watched the episode until Gillian McKeith appeared, and had to stop. :down:

This ^

Trillex 04-14-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16371213)
Trillex I think it was on either the History2 channel or the D-life channel. They did a whole "history of food and holidays" segment.
I'll see if I can google and find the exact program name.

Cheers, Dottie! I found the series. It's called "Holidays and Food" and the History Channel has a whole collection of segments on YouTube. Thanks for the heads-up! I'm totally fascinated by this stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 16371494)
YES!
I cant speak for the particular girl on the show.... but your typical anorexic would love to have their disordered eating portrayed as just "oh, I'm just picky... oh I'm just not hungry"
It would have been far more instructive to show a girl of her size worrying about her weight, pushing food around on her plate hoping her family wouldnt notice her not eating, running 8 miles to burn it off, gulping down water to try to quell her hunger when her body is starving. And then actually have a psychiatrist delve into those feelings and help her conquer them (not just put her on the 4000 cal/day diet of the binge eater).

Another reason why its so hard for eating disorders to get any help (whether anorexia or binge eating or whatever) is that most insurance companies will not pay for any sort of counselling or inpatient treatment. Most insurance companies will only pay for emergency room treatment with fluids and electrolytes. THATS IT. So if you manage to screw yourself up enough to the point of nearly dying from an electrolyte disorder, you can get tuned up in the ER... but then you are back on your own. So people with binge eating disorder or anorexia are left to try to find info online or in books to overcome their problems without help.

Apparently, even though they have comprehensive insurance coverage for physical and psychological health concerns (as compared to our coverage in the US), there are still serious cultural problems that work against sufferers of eating disorders in the Netherlands who need to get help. And there are people who live in isolated areas, or spend a significant amount of time working outside the Netherlands, who have a more difficult time getting access to the intensive counseling they need. So the Netherlands has an online system of intensive eating disorder therapy. It isn't a "support" line, it's actually intensive therapy provided by licensed medical professionals that is provided as a practical alternative for people who might not have access to an eating disorder specialist in their area or who might have other reasons for not visiting a clinic.

The researchers published a paper with the results of their pilot program earlier this year and I thought it was really interesting:
Web-Based Treatment Program Using Intensive Therapeutic Contact for Patients With Eating Disorders: Before-After Study
JMIR--Web-Based Treatment Program Using Intensive Therapeutic Contact for Patients With Eating Disorders: Before-After Study | ter Huurne | Journal of Medical Internet Research