Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Popcorn--It's been discussed before (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801581-popcorn-its-been-discussed-before.html)

Kenna85 04-08-2013 01:24 PM

Popcorn--It's been discussed before

Here's a question...

So I was thinking about popcorn today. I'm over my cravings, but I got a little sad thinking I'd never ever have popcorn again. So I sidled on over to the Orville Redenbacher site. I looked at their line of full fat products. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the NF:

Serving size 4 CUPS (Seriously? That's a lot of popcorn)
Carbs in serving size 17g
Dietary fiber 3g

So help me here. If my math isn't failing me, that's 14g net carbs (subtracting for dietary fiber). 14/4 = 3.5 net carbs.

3.5 net carbs for a cup of full delicious flavor popcorn. On maintenance, is that doable? Would YOU do it? Aside from potentially igniting cravings, can anyone think of a downside?

Charski 04-08-2013 01:35 PM

I do it on maintenance. I don't buy the prepackaged stuff, I make my own - 2 tablespoons coconut oil, 1/4 cup popcorn, stick it in a big saucepan with a lid over the high heat (gas stove here) and let 'er rip til they start popping, giving the pan good shakes to keep the popped kernels from sticking/burning.

Some melted butter and I'm happy! No transfats or other crappy stuff I don't want to eat either.

Amy Lynn 04-08-2013 01:46 PM

oh i could never be satisfied with only 1 cup of popcorn but if you could, it's not a bad carb spend

Knittering 04-08-2013 02:14 PM

Amy!! It's so good to see your name again! :)

I think popcorn is a pretty good snack, especially if you load it up with butter & salt.

Amy Lynn 04-08-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 16361644)
Amy!! It's so good to see your name again! :)

I think popcorn is a pretty good snack, especially if you load it up with butter & salt.

aww, thanks, that's so sweet of you! :)

Kenna85 04-08-2013 03:20 PM

Thanks friends!

laranda 04-08-2013 03:41 PM

I had purchased some savory flavored popcorn from my nephew (fundraiser) and I weighed out the servings to be able to eat it. ;) one serving was about 9 net carbs. Not the healthiest, but when you have a craving, you have a craving.

I am a popcorn fiend. I blame it on my low calorie days. I haven't thought about it recently but if I really wanted some I would make it at home as Charski mentioned and would invest in finding non-gmo corn.

Leo41 04-08-2013 04:20 PM

The idea of "climbing the carb ladder" (suggested by Dr. Atkins) is to see what you can tolerate and not tolerate. People respond differently to different foods.

There's also the issue of 'trigger' foods--something I may tolerate well but can't stop eating.

It's absurd to think that there's anything that you can't have for the rest of your life--unless you have an actual allergy to that food. For example, I don't eat grains or sugar--but I love carrot cake. Last year (on my birthday), my sister brought me a giant slice of carrot cake. It was delicious, but I haven't had cake since and have no intention of having any.

I eat for health--and to manage my weight---and I don't have to be 100%; 95% works just fine.

Arctic_Mama 04-08-2013 04:23 PM

I do hope to be able tolerate some oats, corn, or rice when I'm maintaining and reach goal - I make killer homemade popcorn on my stove, and the heirloom kernel varieties are incredibly tasty. So yes I'd like to be able to eat that some day and may well be able to do so. But as Leo mentioned rightly - some folks can't tolerate it physically, and still others can't manage it mentally. Cravings or lack of control with a snack food like popcorn is a real issue for many of us. Something to consider when experimenting with it :)

babycakez 04-08-2013 04:37 PM

I do it! I get the pop secret movie theater kind which comes out to 11 net carbs for 4 cups popped. I split the whole bag between dh & ds which comes out to about 3 cups popped each which some kernals still in the bag since we hate overcooked popcorn... so for a nice serving size of 3 cups I consume around 7 grams and am satsified.

cfine 04-08-2013 04:42 PM

If I have an off plan treat, it is usually some popcorn. Love that stuff! I melt coconut oil and pour it over the popcorn with salt. Yum!

synger 04-09-2013 08:24 AM

I don't have a history of overeating with popcorn (probably from the low-fat, air-popped dry days), so it's one grain-based snack that I actually allow once in a while. Unlike corn chips, which I can eat an entire bag of, popcorn is not a trigger for me.

I eat about 2-3 cups, with a couple slices of cheddar cheese. I don't eat any carb without eating some protein. So now, I even sneak cheese into the movie theater if I know I'm going to have some popcorn.

As grains go, it's one of the more fiber-full ones.

Bobby_Boomer 04-09-2013 08:40 AM

Popcorn is a high glycemic food. That means it converts to sugar quickly and spikes your insulin levels. To me that's a "no-no" as high insulin levels encourage your body to store fat, and insulin is bad for you (some call it the "killer hormone").

So no popcorn for me.

PaminKY 04-09-2013 10:05 AM

I do eat popcorn every once in a while on the weekend when my husband and I watch a movie at home. I don't do microwave popcorn since I try to avoid using the microwave as much as possible but I do sometimes buy the Orville Redenbacker Naturals Simply Salted for my husband to have as a snack at work.

At home I buy either organic (non-gmo) popcorn or sometimes, if I find it, heirloom popcorn. I pop it on the stovetop in a stainless saucepan with a vented lid using coconut oil and for my husband I will melt some organic Amish butter for him to pour over his (I don't like it buttered). Season with sea salt.

The vented lid keeps it from getting tough.

Kenna85 04-10-2013 03:34 PM

I was thinking that eventually I'd have it as a snack. MY VICE is tortilla chips. Well, Mexican/Tex-Mex in general. I'd eat it every day if I could!!

Thanks for the opinions. I'll probably pop my own in oil and season LC appropriate. It really makes me glad that I can have popcorn again sometime!

lisamt 04-10-2013 03:48 PM

I've been avoiding popcorn because I know I would not be able to limit myself to 1 cup. It seems to be a trigger food for me, and I could easily consume 4 cups.

babycakez 04-12-2013 04:46 AM

I stopped eating popcorn this week and have gone down 4lbs already. Not sure it if was the popcorn stalling me or just TOM but now I'm afraid to start eating it again. -__-