LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Abdul1993
Stats: 165/150/150
WOE: 25-30 grams of carbs a day
Start Date: 1/24/12
Transitioning back to carbs

I initially started low-carb to lose weight while in school since I didn't have time to work out during the school year. Whenever I do any intense physical activity, it's a labor for the first hour and then normal after that, and working out is like impossible now. So, I would eat fruit before I played basketball and that would help a lot. Now that the school year is almost done, I'll have the time to burn off anything I eat, so I'm planning on working out again since I want to rebuild the muscle I lost. I need some help and tips transitioning carbs into my diet again for the summer. Also, would the addition of carbs back into my diet make me gain the fat back?

1. I plan on using only complex carbs that are also low glycemic. The good thing about having been in LC diet for 2 months is that, I now don't like candy, sugary food, and soda for the most part , and I love vegetables now and know so much more about the body and what to avoid

2. I would eat complex carbs that are also low glycemic for breakfast on days that I plan on working out so that I would have the whole day to burn the carbs off. And then I would eat little carbs on my other meals, keeping my carb total for the day to be under 150g. Last summer, my days were like one hour of working out and 2-3 hours of basketball, and it should be similar this year, and I think that should be enough to deplete most of my glycogen storage, shouldn't it?

3. On days that I won't be working out, I plan on eating low carb those days. Would that be a problem though? Alternating between days of regular carbs, fat, protein ratio, while on other days being LCHF?

4. I also plan on looking into intermittent fasting if I can find out more about it and it's effects on testosterone.

5. Also, like in Low-fat diets, they avoid fats as much as they could. On low carb diets, they avoid carbs as much as they could. Since, now I will be doing like 40%-50% Carbs, 25-35% protein, 20-30% fat, which one will be the bad thing for me? Like do I choose a reduced fat muffin over regular muffin, since the reduced one has more sugars but lower fat than regular muffin?

6. I know for lot of people, they don't really need carbs to excercise, but I don't get the benefit of ketones, and I don't think I'm insulin resistant. I think my fat intake just is never too high.

7. Would ketogenic diets like targeted or cyclic or carb cycling, or Protein Sparing Modified Fast be better idea than this? I read on a site that they recommend carb cycling for 10-12% body fat people, and I'm at 17-19% so it's not for me. Plus I don't know enough about them yet, but I do plan on researching more.

8. I plan on going back to my low carb diet when school opens again.

Sorry for the huge read if you read it. I'm looking for any honest criticisms, tips, adjustments you can offer, or help. Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by Abdul1993; 04-07-2013 at 09:41 PM..
Abdul1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I'm sure no expert on all this, reading like crazy and trying to learn as I go. But one thing I think is unarguable---we all have to set up our own WOE, and that should be based on testing and trying what works for us in keeping weight off and blood sugar down.

I have read many testimonials as to how athletes can do their thing quite well on Low Carb, AFTER their body adjusts. Can't remember if any of those said they needed to be in Ketosis to do so, but I don't think so.

But I think the issue really is how easily do you gain weight, and what degree of carbs can you tolerate? Not just for weight, but for health, particularly when it comes to your blood sugar and the amount of insulin your body can handle. And please remember, our bodies are like a diary in a way, they don't forget.

And I question going on and off a LC woe, with the season and out of convenience. Believe me, I'm no puritan in this matter, just another person trying it again and wondering why I didn't do it a long time ago. (Particularly after reading "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes)

But it seems to me one puts their body through a fair bit switching it back and forth between the ways it burns fuel. Not to mention the effort of putting the brain through that transition---which might be even harder work.

However, you CAN eat LC without being in ketosis. You CAN eat LC to the betterment of your health and stay between say, 50 and 100 grams of carbs a day, maybe even 150 grams a day depending on your age and body---which would allow you the fruit before your work out that "helps."

Just a few thoughts, not expert in any way. Good luck to you.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote