Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
Losing more while while not exercising! Advice pls

Due to an ankle sprain and at the same time working twice as many hours for two weeks to fill in for someone, I haven't done any exercise for two weeks. I normally go to water aerobics 5x per week, weight lift heavy 3 - 4x per week and walk several times per week. What I've noticed is that my appetite is way reduced and I've lost a lot more weight than usual. It seems so much easier to stay within my calorie level when I'm not pushing myself with so much exercise. I believe that I've noticed this in past dieting attempts and been torn as to what to do. I've still got a LONG way to go and am now thinking that perhaps exercise more lightly until I'm closer to goal. I muscle up quite easily (meso/endo type).

I'm now thinking of keeping the water aerobics (I go to an advanced "aqua burn" class), but reducing it to 3x per week, walking daily and doing some pilates or callanetics.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by coffeelover; 04-07-2013 at 07:27 AM..
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover View Post
Due to an ankle sprain and at the same time working twice as many hours for two weeks to fill in for someone, I haven't done any exercise for two weeks. I normally go to water aerobics 5x per week, weight lift heavy 3 - 4x per week and walk several times per week. What I've noticed is that my appetite is way reduced and I've lost a lot more weight than usual. It seems so much easier to stay within my calorie level when I'm not pushing myself with so much exercise. I believe that I've noticed this in past dieting attempts and been torn as to what to do. I've still got a LONG way to go and am now thinking that perhaps exercise more lightly until I'm closer to goal. I muscle up quite easily (meso/endo type).

I'm now thinking of keeping the water aerobics (I go to an advanced "aqua burn" class), but reducing it to 3x per week, walking daily and doing some pilates or callanetics.

Any thoughts?
That's a very common issue with people who exercise and are trying to lose weight actually... I've seen it mentioned on here countless times before that there's actually no proven correlation between exercise and weight loss really. It DOES have health benefits supposedly of course, and there are just some people out there who enjoy it like crazy. But as far as fat loss goes, you usually are better off not exercising until you're closer to goal honestly. That's what I've been doing too so far and it's been working well for me!

That being said, if you're exercising and not losing very quick or even see gains... it's probably that you're losing fat and gaining muscle, as muscle weighs more than fat. This is especially the case in someone like you, since you mentioned you gain muscle quite easily. As we work our muscles, they tend to retain a bit of water during the healing process as well... so that accounts for a bit of the extra too.

If you enjoy the exercise or are doing it for other health specific purposes, cutting down will definitely net you better results with weight loss I'd assume. If you're only doing it in hopes that you'll see better losses though... you'd honestly probably do better without it, and would probably have an easier time getting to goal if you held off on exercising.

Just my two cents
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I am just trying to do very moderate exercise until I get well into some weight loss.
Like a 20 minute walk a day (some days I do more). It seems all I can handle now: no alcohol, low carb, moderate exercise. When I was younger, I'd have been exercising to beat the band, but I am trying to be patient and reserve my energy. As it's spring, my natural level of activity is increasing as I am an avid garden.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I lost my 100 lbs. doing very minimal exercise. I only walk 2-3 times a week, and that's pretty much it. For me, anyway, it's much more about keeping my carbs low than exercising.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I keep my workouts moderate. I do three or four times per week-20 minutes of hi intensity cardio on the elliptical and then very light weights. If I exercise too much I just get too hungry.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mazzie
WOE: Low Carb with IF + Exercise
Start Date: 1/1/12
I would say if you feel less hungry, you're losing better, and you feel good about the new exercise plan, why not? Listening to your body is the best thing you can do and you're still planning to be active, so that's excellent.

I lost a lot of weight quickly last year while low carbing and exercising - sometimes intensely. For me, thinking I needed more food because of the exercise was a completely mental thing, and once I overcame it, lc and exercise became a lifestyle that worked very well for me. If it was true hunger or if I stopped losing, I probably would have rethought things.
Mazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
I actually have a thread going about that myself this week. I lost the majority of my weight with very little exercise. So now that I'm so close to goal I decided to add in some more strenuous workouts, and was driving myself a little crazy with the fluctuations on the scale. Check the thread titled "Having a minor freakout"

One positive thing is that even though the scale is going up and down, I measured today and have lost some more inches.
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I have lost over 40 lbs. so far without exercise. Gary Taubes addresses the issue of exercise and weight loss in Why We Get Fat. One thing is that exercise makes us hungrier. Also exercise can cause muscles to hold on to water, which makes it seem like we weigh more. However, there are certainly health benefits of exercise, as long as you don't over exercise. Muscle does weigh more than fat, and burns more calories. I think overall moderate exercise is beneficial, and I plan to start doing some myself soon.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much for all the great advice! I'm going to try my lighter plan for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I can always step it up if I need to. Part of the issue that I forgot to mention in my earlier post was that on the days I lift heavy, I have to up my carbs. I received that advice on this forum after posting that I was basically bonking at the gym during my workouts and felt crummy all day. For now, I think I'm just better off not working quite so hard and not messing with my carb allotments.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
You do not need exercise to lose weight. Period. End of sentence. What are you doing Dave? Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do. I'm half crazy.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

My main reason for the heavy weight training and overall exercising was to try to prevent as much loose skin as possible. Not sure now if it's worth it.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
You do not need exercise to lose weight. Period. End of sentence.
I agree. Exercise is great for toning and building muscle, but fat loss is all about what you eat (and don't eat.)
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I also agree. It doesn't really speed your weight loss any, unless maybe you're doing Biggest Loser type of exercising. I have started walking just a nice slow 30 minutes a day, but just because I had gotten so out of shape that walking across a parking lot was hard. I wanted to start walking for my overall health, but not hard enough to cause me to slow down my weight loss.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
To lose weight, we need to review our equation:

calories in vs. calories out

To lose weight you have to take in less calories than you expend. It seems simple but it isn't. Some people choose to focus too much on the "calories out" side and don't put enough attention on the calories in side. Its true that you don't need to exercise to lose weight, however, it can be a tool to help. If you don't focus on the calories in side of the equation, exercise may work against you. It isn't just about eating more to compensate. There is a lot more to it than that, it also is about the type of exercise, the type of fuel you give your body, your body's fuel partitioning characteristics and your exercise routines and patterns as well as your level of fitness.

Having said that though, if you are using exercise as a tool to maintain your weight and/or lose weight, AND you are a LCer, then your best strategy is to keep your exercise in the lower intensity "fat burning" zone because it will speed up fat loss. For most people this is just being physically active doing things you enjoy, keeping your aerobic activity in the "conversational zone." Exercise in this zone burns mostly free fatty acids which will allow you to remain in ketosis during and after exercise. If you want to flirt with the higher training zones and still lose weight, that becomes a lot more complicated and requires a high level of diet and fitness programming. Unless you are already genetically a lean person, but I don't know if those people associate exercise with weight loss.

Weight training is interesting because it uses almost entirely muscle glycogen for fuel, and if the sessions are kept short and spaced out during the week, it is doable for a LCer without carb cycling, however it is probably more effective with carb cycling because the turnaround time for recovery would be less with carb cycling.

Anyways, I think that you can continue to exercise if you enjoy it, however if you are not losing weight, then there is something wrong with your fueling approach. Are you tracking calories as well as macronutrients? Because if you are exercising it is really easy to overeat. Sometimes the scale doesn't even give us the full picture. For example this fall I was training for a half marathon. I maintained my weight for two months after that. So I thought I wasn't gaining any extra body fat. However my early winter DEXA scan revealed that my body was changing its composition even though the scale gave me the same number for two months. It turns out I was packing on the body fat and losing a bit of lean mass which is why the scale stayed the same. I guess my body was preparing itself for the approach of the cold winter.

Last edited by Punkin; 04-07-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I don't do formal exercise and probably never will. I'm just not a big exercise person without a purpose. I do find reasons to move because it really helps with my hip pain from sitting at the computer all day and I want to continue to have the use of my legs when I get old. My brother works in a nursing home and reminds me that many of his patients are there because they have lost the ability to care for themselves.

As far a weight loss I don't require excerise to lose at all. There are so many things to do around here that I am never at a loss for movement. Dig a hole, plant a tree, trim the bushes, walk the dogs, steam clean the carpets, run up and down the stairs doing laundry, etc. I'm actually excited to start mowing the lawn again!! I no longer look at it as a chore, but needed excercise. I have a 95 year old neighbor who still mows her 1 acre lawn with a push mover. For this reason we will never have a riding lawn mower. My mom turns 80 in May and is out tilling the garden and adding dirt today. She is up and down the stairs all day long.

As far as the saggy skin, I guess I have my share. I think you get what you get. My stomach is pretty flat and my arms are still toned. The thighs have been in bad shape for years. I'm past the age of wearing shorts or swimwear in public. As long as I can sqeeze it into some spanks or stretch jeans I'm cool!
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover View Post
My main reason for the heavy weight training and overall exercising was to try to prevent as much loose skin as possible. Not sure now if it's worth it.
I have not heard of this before, interesting. Do you have a resource for this information? Just curious, I certainly would like to prevent loose skin myself.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
If all you care about is the number on the scale then definitely do not exercise.

Personally, I don't care about numbers. I'm interested in how I look and feel. I workout regularly.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
If all you care about is the number on the scale then definitely do not exercise.

Personally, I don't care about numbers. I'm interested in how I look and feel. I workout regularly.
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
Start Date: February 2013
Yes, I do rigorous workouts 5 days per week under trainer supervision. It may be hindering overall weight loss rate but the positive effects on my cardiovascular health are the main reason I do it.

I want to run a 10K... possibly before the end of year. You can't do that without proper training and pushing your cardio limits.

Last edited by CTH; 04-07-2013 at 12:21 PM..
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post

It isn't quite as simple as that is it?

The vast majority of people that start low carb do so to lose weight. That is their prime driver not a secondary or tertiary reason although the goal of losing weight is likewise typically anchored in health concerns or self-image.

Really, unless you have little to lose you will benefit far, far, far, more from just losing weight than from any exercise of any kind. That is, no exercise will garner you the benefits that just losing weight will endow you with.

Proper exercise, as opposed to poorly executed in form or duration, is excellent for health.

The problem with combining exercise and weight loss is that exercise that doesn't build muscle mass does not contribute to weight loss all things being equal and can reduce weight loss by way of lowering resting metabolism. Excessive exercise with calorie restriction is also contrary to weight loss even if the nature of the exercise builds muscle.

Additionally, if you are very overweight there is a real danger of injuring yourself no matter how careful you are.

Just to be clear, though, of course proper exercise enhances health and well being. No doubt about that. And lots of people are very successful combining the two. No doubt about that either.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
I found that exercise makes me feel happier and better. It's really hard to do at first when you're overweight and unhealthy, but it gets easier if you don't push too hard. My original aim was to get my blood circulating and my heart rate up a bit. If I worked out too hard, I would get hungry and exhausted. You have to find the balance in not spiking your appetite. I still think exercise serves a good purpose. Humans were not meant to sit on their butts all day. We should be out moving. JMO
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: xo ashley
Stats: 155*140* 125
Start Date: 02/01/2009... Quit in 2011. Back 3/31/13
This is very interesting to me... And, I honestly am not saying this to offend anyone.

Yes- I understand you will lose weight - as in numbers - faster without exercising. You aren't building muscle, and you likely won't be as hungry because you haven't done "anything" to prompt hunger.

Maybe I am slow... Personally, I can't imagine never exercising. I took some time off when I was on Atkins before and was working 6-430pm, I was just too tired. I actually changed my schedule so I could workout before work at 4:30am. I guess I am more hungry in the morning. But, I feel like total garbage when I don't work out... I get crabby, and I feel so TIRED all the time. I literally force myself some mornings to get out of bed to exercise before work, and the reason is that I know I'll feel like garbage all day.

That being sad.... yes, the number will be lower on the scale. At my lowest weight ever, I was 130- and I wore a size 2. I am 5'1, and I had 17% body fat. I'll never be skinny. I'll always look muscular/athletic. But, I prefer that over looking "skinny fat". I know what my body can "do". It's not slender, but it's strong.

I totally understand some people hate exercising- the gym is intimidating, I hate the skinny girls who wear sports bras and putz around the elliptical, and I hate the meathead dudes who make me feel self-conscious. I also know some people honestly can't exercise - due to medical conditions, or anything. So I'm not trying to offend... I just think that exercise has a benefit for the way your body looks and how your mind feels.
xo ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
I do exercise and since getting back on the LC way of eating this time around I have upped my exercise and noticed that my weight loss seems slower.

Having said that, I feel firmer and more toned. The lumps and bumps seem to be shrinking much more rapid than without exercise. I am doing weight training (lifting fairly heavy) 3 x a week, swimming twice and probably walk between 20-30k a week depending how much free time I get.

I guess weight loss is important to me, but also healthy heart and a fit toned body are also important. I don't want to spend a year losing weight and hate my body at the end of it. So it might take me 18 months to shift the same amount of weight, but hopefully I will have a body I am happy with at the end of it.

For me, I am eating LC to look good in nice clothes.... and exercising to look good without them
Old 04-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
I love me some yoga. I attend 3-4 classes a week. Good for mind body and soul
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
I have to make a choice.I have fibromyalgia so if I go to the gym I can't vacuum or wash my dishes.The reason I love low carb is I can carefully ration my physical exertion and still lose weight.
Once I get my BMI under 21(I have a very thin frame)my fibro goes into partial remission and then I can exercise if I want.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Wow, such great response thank you! I'm definitely thinking about everything you all said.

Quote:
This certainly isn't true for me. I've been exercising regularly since long before I started dieting. I do it because I like the way I feel when I move my body regularly. However, after doing much googling about loose skin I decided to add intensive weight training. I also added walking into my program because I wasn't sure if the water aerobics was enough. I had also read about losing muscle mass while dieting and thought I was covering my bases. I lost weight just fine doing all this exercise, but I've noticed bigger losses when I don't. I was just wondering what you all thought about this, that is all.

With exercise I lose 1-2 pounds per week and eat about 1500-1800 calories

With little exercise I lose about 2-3 pounds per week and eat about 1200 calories

The difference in calories is due to the fact that the more I move, the more I need to eat so I don't get very hungry or bonk out during training.

Last edited by coffeelover; 04-07-2013 at 03:12 PM..
Old 04-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #27
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
After reading several books that mentioned exercise can cause weight loss to stall I decided to not do anything while I was in weight loss mode (I did'nt exercise before I started losing weight). I lost almost 40 pounds without doing any exercise. However, now that I've made goal last month and now I'm in maintenance, I've started walking regularly

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-07-2013 at 03:28 PM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: xo ashley
Stats: 155*140* 125
Start Date: 02/01/2009... Quit in 2011. Back 3/31/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistars View Post
I have to make a choice.I have fibromyalgia so if I go to the gym I can't vacuum or wash my dishes.The reason I love low carb is I can carefully ration my physical exertion and still lose weight.
Once I get my BMI under 21(I have a very thin frame)my fibro goes into partial remission and then I can exercise if I want.
hey - i work with a few people who have fibromyalgia, and i work at the dept of veterans affairs and a lot of vets who served in the gulf have fibromyalgia, so i'm not just being totally ignorant...

have you tried swimming at all? i know a few people who swim in a gym-pool and they have noticed a huge difference... they say that it's uncomfortable at first, but once they get moving it kinda of "melts" away. and that they feel better because they were able to get their body "going".
xo ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
My problem is mostly the fatigue levels. I have tried everything from water walking(like gentle aquarobics) to 30 day shred videos.They all tired me out to a phenomenal degree.

Pain wise I can ignore that aspect with some OTC meds and pig headed stubbornness.I am just grateful I don't need prescription drugs(none of the usual ones work on me) and that I do go into partial remission under some circumstances.

Sadly fibro is a YMMV disorder.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents...back in sept, I took a break from working out and just started back as the weather has gotten pretty, no lie, I lost weight quicker it seemed not working out then when I was...I think my body just needed a lil break from it. You can lose weight no working out as well as when you do.
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote