Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   About how many days before hunger subsides? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801461-about-how-many-days-before-hunger-subsides.html)

LoveThoseLeopards 04-06-2013 06:51 PM

About how many days before hunger subsides?

I remember when I did strict LC years ago that there was a point where a was just not hungry at all. Someone refresh my memory on when that kicks in......
I'm starving.

rubidoux 04-06-2013 06:56 PM

I think that this can vary quite a bit from person to person. When I first started low carbing years ago, I think it kicked in during day 2, but definitely by day 3. Now it is much quicker for me, like by the evening of day 1. But I think I've heard of it taking some people several days.

You can speed it up a bit by eating extra fat, which will also help keep you sated.

peretroika 04-06-2013 06:56 PM

Are you eating enough fat? You shouldn't be starving!!! How many calories are you eating, and what % is fat?

synger 04-06-2013 07:01 PM

I found that when I began restricting sugars and starches, I started losing my hunger and cravings after 5-7 days. I was pretty solidly into that "sweet spot" by the end of week 2.

If I commit carbicide, I might get some cravings the next day, and hunger the next few days, but if I go immediately back to very low carb (fewer than 30/day), that eases within 4-5 days and I'm back in the sweet spot.

MaryMary 04-06-2013 07:23 PM

3-4 days to start to feel the rhythm of what I was now doing. The migraine passed on day 4. It really helped me to commit my food plan to someone so I could stay focused on the plan of action for the day.

Chuck41 04-06-2013 08:03 PM

It took me between 2 and 4 days to get into the swing of things and lose the excess hunger. For the first couple days I felt like I could eat the south end of a north bound skunk! If I go really carb crazy just one day I will have to go through much of it all over again, a great incentive to stay on program. I have a few high carb things I dearly love and I will eat them again, not today or tomorrow, but sometime. When I do, it will be planned and controlled because I don't want to go through that unnecessarily.

reddarin 04-06-2013 08:19 PM

Best not to let yourself get so hungry the first week or two. Keep it conspicuously and conscientiously low carb and eat your fill. Some of the hunger is probably carb withdrawal type stuff and even if it isn't your body is in a state of confusion about fueling itself.

You might check out a podcast about beating carb addiction. Google 'jimmy moore julia ross carbs'.

lisamt 04-06-2013 08:22 PM

It took over a week for appetite suppression to kick in for me. Until that happened, I just counted carbs and ate until I was satisfied. :)

DiamondDeb 04-06-2013 08:59 PM

If you are hungry you should eat. Your body is going through some big changes right now. Fuel it. Eat as much on plan food as it takes.

raindroproses 04-06-2013 11:15 PM

Definitely make sure you're getting enough calories, and eat plenty of fat! That will help keep you satiated much longer and beat the hunger/cravings at the start... you probably need more calories than you actually think!

That being said, if I remember correctly I think for me it was about 2-3 days before my hunger levels really started to even out, but I wasn't eating nearly enough fat at the time! I also had it pretty easy weirdly enough (I was a HUGE carb addict, but got no "induction flu" symptoms) so YMMV. I do think it's individual to each person somewhat :)

coffeelover 04-07-2013 07:31 AM

About a week for me. :)

Patience 04-07-2013 07:42 AM

A bit over a week for me. I've not felt too bad, more like a bit goofy in the head.
I went to a conference on Thursday night. I came home the next morning because I was feeling precarious and a bit out of it. (Fortunately, I had driven and not flown.) I just decided it was more important to watch over myself. A day or two earlier I found myself veering a bit as I walked. I don't recall these effects in my earlier low carb efforts, but I am a bit older now so who knows? I felt great yesterday. No leg cramps this time, which is a relief. I am being deligent about keeping my magnesium and postassium intake up.

Chuck41 04-07-2013 09:27 AM

Lots of sources say that more sodium is necessary during low carb, and especially during induction when carbs are severely restricted. It might help eliminate the symptoms of the "Atkins Flu" that so many complain of in the beginning.

maggie123 04-07-2013 09:34 AM

It took about 3 days. I think it helped that I had a lot of fat for satiety. I added real cream to my coffee, had a lot of butter on the green beans, lots of bacon and eggs, Tuna with mayo, ceasar salad. Mmmm I love LC! :heart:

reddarin 04-07-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck41 (Post 16359406)
Lots of sources say that more sodium is necessary during low carb, and especially during induction when carbs are severely restricted. It might help eliminate the symptoms of the "Atkins Flu" that so many complain of in the beginning.

That is true. I created a thread about sodium for NK but it applies to very low carb eating.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nu...must-have.html

MtherGoos 04-07-2013 10:49 AM

Definitely eat more fat if you're feeling hungry. That's why Dr. Atkins says that during that first week, just eat. Make sure it's all food that are on plan, but eat if you're hungry. There's absolutely no reason to feel hungry with this WOE.
For me, I'm usually not hungry any more by the 2nd day, but if we go out to eat, and there's some hidden carb or sugar in something (like a seasoning or marinade on the steak), I can tell the next day because I'm hungry again.