Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jazills
Stats: 241.8/241.8/145 - 5'2"
WOE: VLC/NK
Start Date: July, 7 2014
That skirt is doing amazing things for your figure! GO GIRL!!
jazills is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
See, that's what I mean! That skirt looks fab on you, so now you know that that particular style works for your figure. Not all will look as good, depending on the fabric and so on, but it's a good place to start.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Awww thank you!! I seriously LOVED the skirt, which is rare for me because I usually dislike skirts about as much as I dislike dresses... I thought it looked great too though

And yeah actually, I don't even HAVE a bra on in that picture I'm usually so lazy I don't wear them when I'm just wandering around in a t-shirt and hoodie, but I definitely just bought a couple from Victoria's Secret a couple weeks ago and I LOVE them! I at least try to wear one whenever I dress nicer (i.e. when I'm not hiding my chest under layers of sweat clothes ) but you can probably get a picture of how girly I usually am NOT when I say that, LOL. I generally hate bras, hate makeup, don't do much with my hair, and don't usually wear skirts/dresses... I actually refused to carry a purse growing up too until I started driving and had too much to put in my pockets
If you want to find a good fitting bra, google 'bra calculator Sophisticated Pair'. Their fit guide is much more accurate than what the salespeople go by at VS. Also google 'scoop and swoop bra' for help on how to wear it properly.

A few tips: the front part of a bra that meets in the middle is called the gore. It should rest flat against your chest. If the cups are wrinkly, the cup size is too big or the wrong style for your body. If you are spilling over the top or sides, go up a cup size. The band should feel snug but not too tight - if it rides up in the back, it is too big and you'll need to go down a size.

I know this sounds like a lot of trouble, but a well fitting bra is more likely to be comfortable than one that is wrong for your body. Oh and you look fabulous in that skirt!
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
@jazills Yay! Thank you so much!! I'm so glad I wasn't too shy to buy it... I tried it on thinking it'd NEVER work out, and loved it

@Ntombi Thank you!! When you were mentioning earlier about trying different styles because they won't ALL be the same, I finally summoned up enough courage to actually try a pencil skirt... I wouldn't have thought in a million years I'd like it as much as I did As a bonus, it's REALLY comfy too which is important to me. And I got a good deal on it, so even better

@lisamt I actually think VS was correct with me weirdly enough, although I had them measure me twice AND go through their extended fitting with me... they basically gave me what size they THOUGHT I needed, and then let me try a bunch on to tell for sure. They actually looked at me and realized I needed the next size up, so I wound up with 34DDD.

I actually do the scoop and swoop thing already too it turns out... I didn't know it had a name With the 34DDD demi I have, I still have SOME bulge issues (very minor) but it was the only bra they had in stock in my size and I thought it was cute so I bought it anyway. It's possible for me to maneuver them into place enough anyway, and I figure they may shrink a bit anyhow. I also have a full coverage from them I got delivered that I haven't been able to try on yet (I've been out of town) so hopefully that fits a bit better. They don't go up to size E, so I'm not sure where I'll go if I actually should be UP a cup size
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
You have a knock out figure!! Love the new outfit.
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
I actually do the scoop and swoop thing already too it turns out... I didn't know it had a name With the 34DDD demi I have, I still have SOME bulge issues (very minor) but it was the only bra they had in stock in my size and I thought it was cute so I bought it anyway. It's possible for me to maneuver them into place enough anyway, and I figure they may shrink a bit anyhow. I also have a full coverage from them I got delivered that I haven't been able to try on yet (I've been out of town) so hopefully that fits a bit better. They don't go up to size E, so I'm not sure where I'll go if I actually should be UP a cup size
Depending on the manufacturer a DD or a DDD is the same as an E, so the next size up would be F or G!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:

@Ntombi Thank you!! When you were mentioning earlier about trying different styles because they won't ALL be the same, I finally summoned up enough courage to actually try a pencil skirt... I wouldn't have thought in a million years I'd like it as much as I did As a bonus, it's REALLY comfy too which is important to me. And I got a good deal on it, so even better
I'm so glad! I wish pencil skirts worked for me, because I love how they look, but they just make me look silly. And comfort is crucial. No matter how much you like the look, if you don't feel comfortable in it, don't feel like yourself, you won't look right.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
You look amazing! I think you should spring for a new hairstyle too! Not that there is anything wrong with your hair, but sometimes a new look can be fun to go along with the new clothes
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I have a really hard time finding dresses that look good on me. I don't think it is so much the large frame as it is my apple shaped body. I have a large chest and thick waist with thin hips and legs. I can wear straight skirt with a blouse that covers my belly and look alright but actual dresses just accent my belly flabby.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
@Bobbin Awww, thank you so much! I'm blushing I did go back and buy that blazer because I couldn't stop thinking about it... so glad I did!

@Mistizoom Whooooah... geez, I swear my chest isn't THAT big I think it must just be because my band size is shrinking because I used to be okay at a 38DD pretty much! Then I DEFINITELY don't want to have to go up a cup size if that's the case, LOL!

@Ntombi Honestly? I thought they'd make me look silly too! I'm so self conscious about my figure that the last thing I would have thought of was something that would actually HUG my body and SHOW my shape... usually I wear whatever drapes and hides things as much as possible I do love the pencil skirt though (and apparently rayon... who knew!) and I'm really glad I listened to your advice and tried something new

@cfine Hahaha... oh, there's PLENTY wrong with my hair if you ask me. I don't do anything with it! Everyone's been telling me I should do something new with it for a while, and I did get a little bit of length cut off a couple months back... but you can hardly tell when it's in a ponytail all the time! My hair has always been a source of anxiety for me too though, and I've always beef self conscious about it. I never know WHAT to do with it, because growing up my mom always berated me about it telling me that everyone likes beautiful long hair and no one would like me if I cut it... so I always left it long until I was able to make my own decisions, and then I hacked it ALL off. Seriously, I had about an inch of hair left on my head I wouldn't even know what'd look good on my face frame though, honestly. It used to be a bit shorter than it is now and I thought that was cute when I was a little heavier... I just think I have a large head/weird shaped face, so it's hard to find a cut that really compliments me. Plus my hair's been falling out lately courtesy of my thyroid, and I stopped using shampoos/conditioners/products in it so there goes my usual mass of moussed up hair

@Ocean Awww I bet you look awesome in skirts though! If there's one thing I've learned lately it's that dresses just aren't for everyone it seems... I only feel like I look okay in a very select few I've ever tried on in my life, so I can relate even if we're not the same body shape. Especially since I still do have a bit of a waist on me (even if you can't really tell in the picture)
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Glad you found a skirt you like. One thing I do wear when I wear dresses or skirts which is usually more to church or in the summer is spandex...I have had 3 kids and there is just no way I would go without it with my belly and hips even though I weigh 140 I still for more comfy. My mom always taught me to never leave the house without it... So you will never catch this girl here without it on my hips or thighs lol!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs_Potato_Head
Stats: 467/450/143-154?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2 March 2013
Hon, just had to tell you, you are gorgeous. I was expecting to see a very manish body type but you've got great curves! You've got a really feminine body type and great well...ummm...up stairs....

I've never felt very feminine as was alwasy a tomboy, at 5'10 I've always felt too big to be girly and never really wanted to be anyway. So I get that. But really, from an outsiders perspective, if you wanted to, you could totally pull off very girly and ultra femme. Check out Gok Wan's website as he helps women of all shapes and sizes find clothes for their particular body. But yeah, those curves are awesome.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Yes, you definitely look AMAZING! You've got a great little tiny waist! Definitely not a manly shape at all!! LOL
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
You look amazing! I think you should spring for a new hairstyle too! Not that there is anything wrong with your hair, but sometimes a new look can be fun to go along with the new clothes
I was thinking the same thing!
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nera
Stats: 260/158/135
WOE: Atkins girl all the way!
Start Date: March 2006
Wow - I think you look lovely in the dress and the teal color of the jacket is perfect! You can absolutely rock dresses girl - go to it!!
nera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #46
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/12/11
Quote:
And yeah actually, I don't even HAVE a bra on in that picture I'm usually so lazy I don't wear them when I'm just wandering around in a t-shirt and hoodie, but I definitely just bought a couple from Victoria's Secret a couple weeks ago and I LOVE them! I at least try to wear one whenever I dress nicer (i.e. when I'm not hiding my chest under layers of sweat clothes ) but you can probably get a picture of how girly I usually am NOT when I say that, LOL. I generally hate bras, hate makeup, don't do much with my hair, and don't usually wear skirts/dresses... I actually refused to carry a purse growing up too until I started driving and had too much to put in my pockets
First, you look FANTASTIC! That skirt is very cute and looks wonderful on you.

Second, I have to admit that I was getting ready to make a very similar comment about bras. It is amazing what a good bra can do. A well fitting bra can make clothes fit better and you look thinner.

I would recommend against Victoria Secret, especially for everyday ones. The quality just isn't there.

I'm going to very highly recommend being professionally fitted (and NOT at VS). I have gotten wonderful assistance at Dillard's and they have a really good selection, even for hard to fit "girls" and specialty stores are always great options. It is incredibly important to have a proper band size so it can do all the work holding everything up.

As far as hating bras, I promise that if it fits properly, you will forget you even have it on.
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #47

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I think it depends on if you have more of an athletic large frame or more of an hourglass large frame.... I have broad shoulders and hips (I am in a size 12 and can feel my hip bones easily). I think even though I have large arms, wide shoulders, and muscular legs, because I have a large bust, wide hips and rear, it balances out. If I was more of a "straight" / athletic large frame, I would think I would be more comfortable in pants.... but who knows? I wore dresses and skirts mostly, even when I was 355 or more lbs.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
I confess: I've only read the original post.

OK, here I go: I've ALWAYS been large-framed, but I haven't always been fat.

When I was 5'8" and weighed around 130 or less (in HS), I still had to buy "large" blouses, so my shoulders would fit in them. Likewise, hips -- in the early 80's, I couldn't fit into jeans smaller than 14s (again 1980's sizing) even when I had virtually no body-fat. The waist would be huge, but the hips were the issue.

And here it is: I LOVE dresses.

When I'm skinny (which HAS happened in living memory!) I love basque-waisted, puffy-sleeved dresses. The accent my natural hourglass, and give my shoulders a little extra room.

(Did I mention I came of age in the 80's?)

I also love back-tie dresses, or those without defined waists. These skim over my figure, rather than binding at chest, shoulders, or hips, and let the SHAPE show through.

It's the silhouette that makes you look stunning. The scale doesn't matter as much... I would (again, when I was young and skinny) take POWER from my size. I dressed to emphasize it.

Now, I'm old and flabby (and still 40 lbs over what I need to look that stunning). I STILL wear dresses. I have some that are styled like "travel dresses" --

Cut like this, though mine are mid-calf or longer.

I also have some that are cut straight from arm-pit to hem, but back-tie, which gives the same effect: They skim over my body, but come in at the waist to define my shape.

I think that's probably a key point for large-framed women: You WANT a full skirt and full-cut through shoulders. Anything else is going to fit poorly.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote