Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Friday workouts... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801396-friday-workouts.html)

jazills 04-05-2013 12:35 PM

Friday workouts...

What are you guys doing as far as workout is concerned today??

I just got back from a 2.5 miles rollerblading session. This is my first day back to exercise in SIX (6!) months...proud of myself for being motivated to go! :)

RDBhan 04-05-2013 01:29 PM

Hi,

Hip Hop Abs fat burning cardio tonight. Not particularly challenging, but sufficient for now.

Lil'g 04-05-2013 01:32 PM

Friday is my favorite gym night, not crowded at all. Will walk for a while, then lots of machines and floor stuff.

@Jana 2.5 miles rollerblading-you go girl!

CTH 04-05-2013 02:40 PM

Today's 60 minute cardio interval workout will have 25 heart rate zone changes in zones 2,3, and 4. My trainer emails me a new routine every day. I wear a heart rate monitor then upload the data to a website afterwards and I'm given a graph of my heartrate, calories burned, heart rate zone times, and compliance to the plan. It's alot of fun because you have to constantly be watching the clock and your heart rate. Each zone is only 2-4 minutes long so it makes the time go by really fast.

This forum won't let me post attachments. I'll try and set up a photobucket account and imbed photos some day of the graphs...

avid 04-05-2013 06:10 PM

Took another day off. Had 3 good days in a row at the gym.
One recovery day wasn't quite enough.
Looking forward to an "all around" day tomorrow.

Knittering 04-05-2013 07:03 PM

I did one hour of Callanetics.

CTIgrad 04-05-2013 11:01 PM

Rest day here, hammies and quads are killing me from Wednesday torture. Did chest/shoulder/tri yesterday, and those haven't kicked in. Yet......

avid 04-06-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTIgrad (Post 16357596)
Rest day here, hammies and quads are killing me from Wednesday torture. Did chest/shoulder/tri yesterday, and those haven't kicked in. Yet......

those rest days are really important.
I love the gym but I learned the hard way, that it's better to take a day or two off than deal with an injury.

CTH 04-06-2013 01:56 PM

6 weeks of working out before Atikins yielded muscle pain but no cramps. 3 weeks of the same exercise on Atkins has yielded foot and leg cramps.

One in my calf actually happened while I was sleeping :mad: YOWWCHH!!!

My trainer recommended magnesium/calcium supplements. I also started drinking PowerAde Zero and taking potassium. Last night before bed I took an Epsom Salt bath, popped some Advil and made it through the night without any cramps.....

Weekends are "rest & recover" for me concerning exercise but I have alot of chores to do! Will make my 10,000 steps without even going to the gym for sure...

RDBhan 04-07-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTH (Post 16358384)
6 weeks of working out before Atikins yielded muscle pain but no cramps. 3 weeks of the same exercise on Atkins has yielded foot and leg cramps.

One in my calf actually happened while I was sleeping :mad: YOWWCHH!!!

My trainer recommended magnesium/calcium supplements. I also started drinking PowerAde Zero and taking potassium. Last night before bed I took an Epsom Salt bath, popped some Advil and made it through the night without any cramps.....

Weekends are "rest & recover" for me concerning exercise but I have alot of chores to do! Will make my 10,000 steps without even going to the gym for sure...

There's a pretty well described diuretic effect from LC dieting which wastes potassium. Add that to some heavy duty intervals and you are probably low on the potassium. In Protein Power, Dr. Eades recommends a potassium supplement daily, so I think you're probably on the right track there.

CTH 04-07-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDBhan (Post 16359552)
There's a pretty well described diuretic effect from LC dieting which wastes potassium. Add that to some heavy duty intervals and you are probably low on the potassium. In Protein Power, Dr. Eades recommends a potassium supplement daily, so I think you're probably on the right track there.

Yes, I'm a little worried about taking potassium pills for some reason though.... I don't know if that worry is actually founded on science or heresay but a friend who is an RN said you have to be careful because of how it affects the heart...

avid 04-07-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTH (Post 16359719)
Yes, I'm a little worried about taking potassium pills for some reason though.... I don't know if that worry is actually founded on science or heresay but a friend who is an RN said you have to be careful because of how it affects the heart...

There are alot of foods popular with LC'ers that contain good amounts of potassium.
Salmon, and other oily fish, green leafy veggies such as spinach are both good sources.
Most of us (I think) take a daily multi vitamin and those usually contain some potassium.
Hope your feeling better soon.

CTH 04-09-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16360195)
There are alot of foods popular with LC'ers that contain good amounts of potassium.
Salmon, and other oily fish, green leafy veggies such as spinach are both good sources.
Most of us (I think) take a daily multi vitamin and those usually contain some potassium.
Hope your feeling better soon.

Yes! For some reason the past week I kind of skipped the greens. Not good for the digestive system. I also used to take 2 TBSP of cold-milled flax every morning on my cereal but since cereal is out I've had a hard time thinking of how to incorporate it. I mixed it with my scrambled eggs for a while but it was a bit much :sick: So, I'm back on the greens both for digestive reasons and the vitamins / minerals!

Also, consciously making sure I get at least 4 liters of water per day. No cramps again since the last bout but sometimes I can feel that I'm right on the edge of one coming on..... I don't know what that muscle is from your inner thigh to your knee but I had that one sieze up on me and HOLY MOLY..... the pain made me nauseous!

RDBhan 04-19-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTH (Post 16359719)

Sorry I've been away for a while so I didn't see this. You can't take enough potassium to harm your heart if you have healthy kidneys. Really only intravenous potassium can cause heart rhythm changes, which is what your nurse friend is alluding to. And the amount of potassium in OTC supplements is nowhere near what is prescribed. You can take it without worry assuming you don't have kidney issues.

Anyway, hope you're all better.

avid 04-19-2013 03:15 PM

this reminds me.....what happened to the workout threads????
Well since today is Friday I'll just keep this one going.
i have being staying away from the gym or the past 10 days or so.
I had some deep pain in my shoulder that needed alot of tlc. Luckily it's gotten better
without having to see a doctor, but I'm bringing it back slowly and doing stretch band type exercises that are more rehab oriented than workout.
Today though I did push it a little using some weights. Feels ok but I iced it down and will do only lower body work tomorrow.
I hate injuries.
be safe out there y'all.

xo ashley 04-19-2013 05:48 PM

90 minutes incline walking... had the day off today and woke up at 6am, UGH. checked my FB and saw all the news updated. Got myself to the gym for the start of the Today Show and got wayyyy involved in watching the news. Didn't want to miss a minute.