LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Confession Time - Chew and spit method

So lately in the last week or so I have been finding myself having these tremendous cravings. I realize that they are not born of hunger, but just the desire to taste something that I have ALWAYS LOVED the taste of.

Therefore, as disgusting as it may seem, I have been allowing myself a taste of the object of my desires, but I consume no calories. I have the one bite, chew and savor the flavor then spit it out into the garbage.

Am I crazy or smart ?
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Crazy...this spit and chew method can cause stomach ulcers from what I read before. I have to find the link and try to post it never done that before. Try not to make a habit if you can help it.

Also, the brain will learn to associate a certain amount of chewing with a certain amount of nutrition entering the body, it also raises insulin levels which increases appetite. Continually high levels of insulin from a lot of chew/spitting increases the likelihood of weight gain and could increase your risk of diabetes.

Last edited by baileygirl3; 04-05-2013 at 12:36 PM..
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
I know from tasting while I cook for other people that I tend to get cravings if I taste too much regular sugar. I don't know if it boosts my insulin level or it's just in my head.

I have to be careful.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/198/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
I would think that might cause your cravings to get worse.

Personally, that method has never worked for me. Cause I always "forget" to spit!
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
This sounds like disordered eating.

I think tasting and spitting something out when you are cooking for others is ok- I do it to make sure the food tastes good, but I don't get any pleasure from it and don't do it on purpose. The problem is that you are doing this to satisfy cravings.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/142.8/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I would be afraid that my body would absorb some of the sugar, carbs, or whatever, just from having it in my mouth and doing that. Maybe not, but that's what I would be afraid of.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_born_texan View Post
I would think that might cause your cravings to get worse.

Personally, that method has never worked for me. Cause I always "forget" to spit!
I would forget to spit also, but not swallow.

Last edited by MagieDen; 04-05-2013 at 12:08 PM..
MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jannybunny
Stats: 175/110/115 restart 187/146/130
Start Date: 1/4/2008 restarted for the last time 1/3/2013
Not smart, in my opinion. Do some searches of threads here at LCF. It has been discussed before. It can also lead to bulimia
Jannybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileygirl3 View Post
Crazy...this spit and chew method can cause stomach ulcers from what I read before. I have to find the link and try to post it never done that before. Try not to make a habit if you can help it.

Ok here is the link Chewing & Spitting - Missing1nActi0n: Food Information hope I did this right

Also, the brain will learn to associate a certain amount of chewing with a certain amount of nutrition entering the body, it also raises insulin levels which increases appetite. Continually high levels of insulin from a lot of chew/spitting increases the likelihood of weight gain and could increase your risk of diabetes.
I have no idea how accurate that information is but it should be pointed out that links to pro-Ana site. I realize they say they aren't but the context of everything about it says otherwise.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, who knew?

No, I do no think I have a problem This has been a 2 or 3 time thing in a horrible craving moment.

So for me I think it was effective at the time and not something that became a habit.

Interesting information revealed on the subject though.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #11

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think the problem is that our saliva and chewing starts digesting carbs into our systems right away. I would say the most for sugar, obviously, and next for very easy to digest carbs like white bread or potatoes. the things that would not be a problem, like meat, you would not be spitting in any case!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I was told years ago that if a type I is unconscious from an insulin reaction that someone should rub something like jelly or something sweet and syrupy inside their cheek while waiting for paramedics bc they'll start absorbing that sugar right away. I will sometimes bite into a piece of pasta to test for done-ness when cooking for my kids, but I won't let it touch my tongue or cheek. I'm probably being too uptight.

Also I saw a really upsetting episode of Intervention about a spitter, so I could never do it.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Starches breakdown with the help of salivary amylase. You are getting the sugar as a result- swallow or not.
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nanner
Stats: 253/229.5/200
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: This time - 03/18/2013/JUDDD 04/29/2013
There is a show on Food Network about overweight chefs, and one had to taste her students' food, so that is what the nutritionist told her to do - she refused.
Nanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/287.2/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I think the problem is that our saliva and chewing starts digesting carbs into our systems right away. I would say the most for sugar, obviously, and next for very easy to digest carbs like white bread or potatoes. the things that would not be a problem, like meat, you would not be spitting in any case!
This was my first thought.

We start digesting carbs in the mouth with the amylase in our saliva. You're not doing yourself any favors.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Insulin release can start when you're tasting sugary food, long before it's hit your stomach. Since insulin triggers your body to stop burning fat and stop storing it, you can be affected by the carbs even if the glucose doesn't hit your bloodstream.

In people with insulin resistance, this state - insulin is circulating, but there's no glucose to burn - can lead to strong cravings for sugars and starches, because your body is hungry, but it can't burn fat (because insulin is telling it not to) and can't burn glucose (because there isn't any).

Now ... will spat-out bite trigger enough insulin release to matter? I'll leave that to the scientists. But it's clear that high-carb foods can start affecting you before they reach your stomach.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Think of sub lingual medicines. They are absorbed under the tongue because it is a faster delivery system than swallowing.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Bad idea.

If you are having a bad time with cravings try supplementing with chromium and/or l-glutamine.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I don't want to pry into your beeezwax, Lori, but I follow the Challenge thread and I saw that you recently started a new position at work. Since you have been my absolute hero of dietary adherence and determination these past few months, I wonder if there is an underlying stress issue behind this new set of cravings...? In the past, you've been able to be a lot more "strict" with your eating than most of the rest of us -- with fabulous results -- so this seems (to me) to be out of character for you.

If this is a result of a new situation of lifestyle stress, perhaps addressing the underlying cause will relieve you of these cravings.

Just a thought! You are fabulous, so stay strong.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I agree with what everyone else has posted... definitely not doing yourself any favors! You body WILL absorb at least some of whatever you're chewing, and I agree that it can definitely lead to cravings worsening as well.

I've done this twice before, both times when I was making a big batch of homemade cocoa for my SO... I didn't want it to taste bad because I got the balance of ingredients wrong, but I definitely didn't want to drink it either! I just sipped little bits as I tested it and immediately spit it out into the sink and rinsed my mouth out with water each time.
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
While I'm with others and recommend that you NOT use this as an ongoing way to deal with carb cravings, I do use this tool at appropriate times, and I'm glad to have it in my diet toolbox.

When I'm cooking, especially at holiday time, I often cook things that I won't actually eat much of anymore. I still need to taste the gravy to adjust the seasonings, or a mouthful of stuffing, or a bit of mashed potatoes, or a spoonful of cinnamon cranberry applesauce. But I am no longer "required" to actually swallow it. It took me a while to get used to the idea that I was allowed to spit it out, but after seeing wine and ice cream tasters on TV who take a bite and then spit it out, I realized it was the same idea.

Now I no longer feel like I have to serve food to my family and friends that I can't verify has the right balance of seasonings. Sure I get some of the calories from this, but it's negligible compared to if I'd swallowed the taste. And I usually try to eat a protein rich meal or snack before I cook anyway (especially holiday time!) so it lessens the temptation to swallow and probably alleviates the acid issues mentioned above.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase View Post
Insulin release can start when you're tasting sugary food, long before it's hit your stomach. Since insulin triggers your body to stop burning fat and stop storing it, you can be affected by the carbs even if the glucose doesn't hit your bloodstream.

In people with insulin resistance, this state - insulin is circulating, but there's no glucose to burn - can lead to strong cravings for sugars and starches, because your body is hungry, but it can't burn fat (because insulin is telling it not to) and can't burn glucose (because there isn't any).

Now ... will spat-out bite trigger enough insulin release to matter? I'll leave that to the scientists. But it's clear that high-carb foods can start affecting you before they reach your stomach.
Yep. I think I even read once that insulin can be triggered by the brain just thinking about a high carb food.
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I've done this a couple of times, but not on purpose/planned. Basically I started eating something I really shouldn't have, then realized while chewing "I don't want to be eating this", so I spit it out. I don't think I would do it as a way to taste something on purpose without having to ingest it. I agree with PP that if done repeatedly it could lead to an eating disorder, or be considered an "eating disorder not otherwise specified" (EDNOS) in and of itself.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #24
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
My dog is diabetic. The vet told us, in the event her blood sugar gets too low, put a few drops of karo syrup on her gums or inside her cheek.
So you don't have to swallow the food to get the insulin response, sorry.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I don't want to pry into your beeezwax, Lori, but I follow the Challenge thread and I saw that you recently started a new position at work. Since you have been my absolute hero of dietary adherence and determination these past few months, I wonder if there is an underlying stress issue behind this new set of cravings...? In the past, you've been able to be a lot more "strict" with your eating than most of the rest of us -- with fabulous results -- so this seems (to me) to be out of character for you.

If this is a result of a new situation of lifestyle stress, perhaps addressing the underlying cause will relieve you of these cravings.

Just a thought! You are fabulous, so stay strong.
You are so awesome! It definitely could be stress related for many other reasons that just the new job. It could even be because my weight loss has slowed down and I am having more mental stress/cravings than usual. At any rate, I am convinced that even on the 2-3 ocaissions I have done this in the last several months, it does not seem to be a good idea for many reasons. Thank you for your kind words and much needed reminder that I have been very successful with this WOE and simply need to renew my strength and resolve.

Goals met:
199.9 - ONEderland(10/23/12);
180s - (12/08/12)
170s - (1/7/13) (made it back 01/14) (no longer obese)
160s - (3/2/13) 50.2 pounds in 5 1/2 months!
148 - No longer Overweight
"Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running." ~ Sarah Condor, Runner/Author

Last edited by LoriAS; 04-08-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Old 04-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAS View Post
You are so awesome! It definitely could be stress related for many other reasons that just the new job. It could even be because my weight loss has slowed down and I am having more mental stress/cravings than usual. At any rate, I am convinced that even on the 2-3 ocaissions I have done this in the last several months, it does not seem to be a good idea for many reasons. Thank you for your kind words and much needed reminder that I have been very successful with this WOE and simply need to renew my strength and resolve.
I am totally TeamLori! You are a rockstar at this process and an inspiration. Challenges like cravings are bound to appear, over time. But you've got such a great mental game, I believe you can handle anything that life throws at you.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
I've read that that's what a lot of anorexics and people with eating disorders do. Not a good idea, it could lead you to a place you don't want to go.

Last edited by ~PaperMoon~; 04-09-2013 at 01:06 AM..
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote