Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Confession Time - Chew and spit method (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801395-confession-time-chew-spit-method.html)

LoriAS 04-05-2013 11:22 AM

Confession Time - Chew and spit method
 
So lately in the last week or so I have been finding myself having these tremendous cravings. I realize that they are not born of hunger, but just the desire to taste something that I have ALWAYS LOVED the taste of.

Therefore, as disgusting as it may seem, I have been allowing myself a taste of the object of my desires, but I consume no calories. I have the one bite, chew and savor the flavor then spit it out into the garbage.

Am I crazy or smart :D ?

baileygirl3 04-05-2013 11:52 AM

Crazy...this spit and chew method can cause stomach ulcers from what I read before. I have to find the link and try to post it never done that before. Try not to make a habit if you can help it.


Also, the brain will learn to associate a certain amount of chewing with a certain amount of nutrition entering the body, it also raises insulin levels which increases appetite. Continually high levels of insulin from a lot of chew/spitting increases the likelihood of weight gain and could increase your risk of diabetes.

Rhubarb 04-05-2013 11:56 AM

I know from tasting while I cook for other people that I tend to get cravings if I taste too much regular sugar. I don't know if it boosts my insulin level or it's just in my head.

I have to be careful.

natural_born_texan 04-05-2013 11:59 AM

I would think that might cause your cravings to get worse.

Personally, that method has never worked for me. Cause I always "forget" to spit! :)

nolcjunk 04-05-2013 12:00 PM

This sounds like disordered eating.

I think tasting and spitting something out when you are cooking for others is ok- I do it to make sure the food tastes good, but I don't get any pleasure from it and don't do it on purpose. The problem is that you are doing this to satisfy cravings.

MtherGoos 04-05-2013 12:02 PM

I would be afraid that my body would absorb some of the sugar, carbs, or whatever, just from having it in my mouth and doing that. Maybe not, but that's what I would be afraid of.

MagieDen 04-05-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natural_born_texan (Post 16356672)
I would think that might cause your cravings to get worse.

Personally, that method has never worked for me. Cause I always "forget" to spit! :)

I would forget to spit also, but not swallow. :p

Jannybunny 04-05-2013 12:06 PM

Not smart, in my opinion. Do some searches of threads here at LCF. It has been discussed before. It can also lead to bulimia

Mrs S 04-05-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baileygirl3 (Post 16356653)
Crazy...this spit and chew method can cause stomach ulcers from what I read before. I have to find the link and try to post it never done that before. Try not to make a habit if you can help it.

Ok here is the link Chewing & Spitting - Missing1nActi0n: Food Information hope I did this right

Also, the brain will learn to associate a certain amount of chewing with a certain amount of nutrition entering the body, it also raises insulin levels which increases appetite. Continually high levels of insulin from a lot of chew/spitting increases the likelihood of weight gain and could increase your risk of diabetes.

I have no idea how accurate that information is but it should be pointed out that links to pro-Ana site. I realize they say they aren't but the context of everything about it says otherwise.

LoriAS 04-05-2013 12:33 PM

Wow, who knew?

No, I do no think I have a problem This has been a 2 or 3 time thing in a horrible craving moment.

So for me I think it was effective at the time and not something that became a habit.

Interesting information revealed on the subject though.

ravenrose 04-05-2013 01:01 PM

I think the problem is that our saliva and chewing starts digesting carbs into our systems right away. I would say the most for sugar, obviously, and next for very easy to digest carbs like white bread or potatoes. the things that would not be a problem, like meat, you would not be spitting in any case!

rubidoux 04-05-2013 01:12 PM

I was told years ago that if a type I is unconscious from an insulin reaction that someone should rub something like jelly or something sweet and syrupy inside their cheek while waiting for paramedics bc they'll start absorbing that sugar right away. I will sometimes bite into a piece of pasta to test for done-ness when cooking for my kids, but I won't let it touch my tongue or cheek. I'm probably being too uptight.

Also I saw a really upsetting episode of Intervention about a spitter, so I could never do it.

Biochic 04-05-2013 02:29 PM

Starches breakdown with the help of salivary amylase. You are getting the sugar as a result- swallow or not.

Nanner 04-05-2013 02:31 PM

There is a show on Food Network about overweight chefs, and one had to taste her students' food, so that is what the nutritionist told her to do - she refused.

Ntombi 04-05-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16356790)
I think the problem is that our saliva and chewing starts digesting carbs into our systems right away. I would say the most for sugar, obviously, and next for very easy to digest carbs like white bread or potatoes. the things that would not be a problem, like meat, you would not be spitting in any case!

This was my first thought.

We start digesting carbs in the mouth with the amylase in our saliva. You're not doing yourself any favors.

biancasteeplechase 04-05-2013 02:56 PM

Insulin release can start when you're tasting sugary food, long before it's hit your stomach. Since insulin triggers your body to stop burning fat and stop storing it, you can be affected by the carbs even if the glucose doesn't hit your bloodstream.

In people with insulin resistance, this state - insulin is circulating, but there's no glucose to burn - can lead to strong cravings for sugars and starches, because your body is hungry, but it can't burn fat (because insulin is telling it not to) and can't burn glucose (because there isn't any).

Now ... will spat-out bite trigger enough insulin release to matter? I'll leave that to the scientists. But it's clear that high-carb foods can start affecting you before they reach your stomach.

clackley 04-05-2013 03:02 PM

Think of sub lingual medicines. They are absorbed under the tongue because it is a faster delivery system than swallowing.

DiamondDeb 04-05-2013 03:05 PM

Bad idea.

If you are having a bad time with cravings try supplementing with chromium and/or l-glutamine.

Trillex 04-05-2013 03:19 PM

I don't want to pry into your beeezwax, Lori, but I follow the Challenge thread and I saw that you recently started a new position at work. Since you have been my absolute hero of dietary adherence and determination these past few months, I wonder if there is an underlying stress issue behind this new set of cravings...? In the past, you've been able to be a lot more "strict" with your eating than most of the rest of us -- with fabulous results -- so this seems (to me) to be out of character for you.

If this is a result of a new situation of lifestyle stress, perhaps addressing the underlying cause will relieve you of these cravings.

Just a thought! You are fabulous, so stay strong.

raindroproses 04-05-2013 05:09 PM

I agree with what everyone else has posted... definitely not doing yourself any favors! You body WILL absorb at least some of whatever you're chewing, and I agree that it can definitely lead to cravings worsening as well.

I've done this twice before, both times when I was making a big batch of homemade cocoa for my SO... I didn't want it to taste bad because I got the balance of ingredients wrong, but I definitely didn't want to drink it either! I just sipped little bits as I tested it and immediately spit it out into the sink and rinsed my mouth out with water each time.

synger 04-06-2013 07:13 AM

While I'm with others and recommend that you NOT use this as an ongoing way to deal with carb cravings, I do use this tool at appropriate times, and I'm glad to have it in my diet toolbox.

When I'm cooking, especially at holiday time, I often cook things that I won't actually eat much of anymore. I still need to taste the gravy to adjust the seasonings, or a mouthful of stuffing, or a bit of mashed potatoes, or a spoonful of cinnamon cranberry applesauce. But I am no longer "required" to actually swallow it. It took me a while to get used to the idea that I was allowed to spit it out, but after seeing wine and ice cream tasters on TV who take a bite and then spit it out, I realized it was the same idea.

Now I no longer feel like I have to serve food to my family and friends that I can't verify has the right balance of seasonings. Sure I get some of the calories from this, but it's negligible compared to if I'd swallowed the taste. And I usually try to eat a protein rich meal or snack before I cook anyway (especially holiday time!) so it lessens the temptation to swallow and probably alleviates the acid issues mentioned above.

LCWizard 04-06-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase (Post 16356998)
Insulin release can start when you're tasting sugary food, long before it's hit your stomach. Since insulin triggers your body to stop burning fat and stop storing it, you can be affected by the carbs even if the glucose doesn't hit your bloodstream.

In people with insulin resistance, this state - insulin is circulating, but there's no glucose to burn - can lead to strong cravings for sugars and starches, because your body is hungry, but it can't burn fat (because insulin is telling it not to) and can't burn glucose (because there isn't any).

Now ... will spat-out bite trigger enough insulin release to matter? I'll leave that to the scientists. But it's clear that high-carb foods can start affecting you before they reach your stomach.

Yep. I think I even read once that insulin can be triggered by the brain just thinking about a high carb food. :down:

Mistizoom 04-06-2013 10:54 AM

I've done this a couple of times, but not on purpose/planned. Basically I started eating something I really shouldn't have, then realized while chewing "I don't want to be eating this", so I spit it out. I don't think I would do it as a way to taste something on purpose without having to ingest it. I agree with PP that if done repeatedly it could lead to an eating disorder, or be considered an "eating disorder not otherwise specified" (EDNOS) in and of itself.

Dottie 04-06-2013 01:54 PM

My dog is diabetic. The vet told us, in the event her blood sugar gets too low, put a few drops of karo syrup on her gums or inside her cheek.
So you don't have to swallow the food to get the insulin response, sorry.

LoriAS 04-08-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trillex (Post 16357042)
I don't want to pry into your beeezwax, Lori, but I follow the Challenge thread and I saw that you recently started a new position at work. Since you have been my absolute hero of dietary adherence and determination these past few months, I wonder if there is an underlying stress issue behind this new set of cravings...? In the past, you've been able to be a lot more "strict" with your eating than most of the rest of us -- with fabulous results -- so this seems (to me) to be out of character for you.

If this is a result of a new situation of lifestyle stress, perhaps addressing the underlying cause will relieve you of these cravings.

Just a thought! You are fabulous, so stay strong.

:hugs: You are so awesome! It definitely could be stress related for many other reasons that just the new job. It could even be because my weight loss has slowed down and I am having more mental stress/cravings than usual. At any rate, I am convinced that even on the 2-3 ocaissions I have done this in the last several months, it does not seem to be a good idea for many reasons. Thank you for your kind words and much needed reminder that I have been very successful with this WOE and simply need to renew my strength and resolve.

Trillex 04-08-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoriAS (Post 16361328)
:hugs: You are so awesome! It definitely could be stress related for many other reasons that just the new job. It could even be because my weight loss has slowed down and I am having more mental stress/cravings than usual. At any rate, I am convinced that even on the 2-3 ocaissions I have done this in the last several months, it does not seem to be a good idea for many reasons. Thank you for your kind words and much needed reminder that I have been very successful with this WOE and simply need to renew my strength and resolve.

I am totally TeamLori! You are a rockstar at this process and an inspiration. Challenges like cravings are bound to appear, over time. But you've got such a great mental game, I believe you can handle anything that life throws at you.

~PaperMoon~ 04-09-2013 01:04 AM

I've read that that's what a lot of anorexics and people with eating disorders do. Not a good idea, it could lead you to a place you don't want to go. :sad:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:37 AM.