Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   An FYI for the newbies regarding Stir Fry (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801362-fyi-newbies-regarding-stir-fry.html)

Wendi-Bell 04-04-2013 07:03 PM

An FYI for the newbies regarding Stir Fry

BE CAREFUL! Just made a shrimp and chicken stir fry with broc, mushrooms, zucchini. Used a little olive oil and some sesame oil. Also maybe a teaspoon of soy sauce.The carbs def add up. I didnt measure (yes, I know), but I guesstimated on the high side, and Im looking at 10 carbs. Im certain I didnt eat that many, but still. It adds up.

Wendi

heidihoopi 04-04-2013 07:16 PM

Still, a better choice than a lot of things, iykwim.

raindroproses 04-04-2013 07:18 PM

Yes, veggies add up VERY fast! It's a good thing you didn't use a sugary stir fry sauce, or the count could have gotten really out of control :)

Wendi-Bell 04-04-2013 07:27 PM

No, I do know not to use the sauces. I'm a bit rusty, but it's all coming back to me. Veggies are def better than some other choices. I apparently didn't add enough fat, because an hour later, I was hungry. IDK, it's crazy. I did the whole pork rind, melted butter, cinnamon, splenda thing. That helped, but I def feel like someething kicked me out of ketosis. Ugh.

heidihoopi 04-04-2013 07:30 PM

Macadamia nuts are your friend, and you only need 5 of them :up:

DeltaSierra 04-04-2013 07:39 PM

I love stir fry's - my favorite technique is to take chicken/beef/pork and shave it, fry it in some EVCO along with fresh garlic and onion, then I layer mushrooms and broccoli and add a bit of water to let it steam and then cover. When the veggies are tender, I stir in a tablespoon of sour cream to make a "gravy" - delicious!!!

ravenrose 04-04-2013 09:33 PM

yes. this applies to any vegetable dish, really. adding spices like chile powder or curry powder makes it even higher! good thing to pay attention, though I agree, if you are going to eat extra carbs, this is the way to do it, not processed foods, etc.

clackley 04-05-2013 09:25 AM

Weighing and measuring is a good practice to get into. In some cases, you may find that by using the weight of some veggies actually is more than if by volume (i.e. 2 cups of salad greens can translate into 100g which is more accurate and tends to be more by volume).

I have been at this for years now and I cannot function without my kitchen scale.

Wendi-Bell 04-06-2013 05:11 PM

A kitchen scale is my next investment. I don't know how I did this for so long before without one.

upnort3 04-07-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra (Post 16355635)
I love stir fry's - my favorite technique is to take chicken/beef/pork and shave it, fry it in some EVCO along with fresh garlic and onion, then I layer mushrooms and broccoli and add a bit of water to let it steam and then cover. When the veggies are tender, I stir in a tablespoon of sour cream to make a "gravy" - delicious!!!

I love this idea. I make stir fries a lot and I'm going to try adding the sour cream next time. :)

maggie123 04-07-2013 08:37 AM

Thanks for the warning! I think I may have to start weighing my vegies

juliekaboolie 04-07-2013 12:46 PM

I won't weight or measure or count anything with a scale because I start to think way too much about food and obsess. I use a small plate and fill 2/3 of it with 2 different kinds of veggies (using no-starch veggies although I will occasionally have sweet potatoes or berries), and 1/3 plate protein (or one palm-sized serving). The small plate helps a LOT as does marking out my food this way. I like the look of a full plate, and I personally have never heard of anyone getting fat eating vegetables. :) I also, for the record, cook with coconut oil, so I get my fat from that and avocados or olive oil.

DiamondDeb 04-07-2013 01:27 PM

I love stir-fry & make it often. It is such an easy way to get my veggies in. I generally add about 10g total carbs of veggies for one serving. The net is, of course, quite a bit less.

xo ashley 04-07-2013 04:23 PM

good to know... i had soy sauce and worchestshire sauce in my fridge.

was shocked to know they had sugar! thanks :-)

Wendi-Bell 04-09-2013 11:34 AM

Just another thought: We have an Olive Oil Bar here. I absolutely love the Chipotle Oil. A little flavors so much! If I used that in stir fry, I def wouldnt need a sauce at all!!

Heidinem 04-10-2013 05:20 AM

I never thought about spices adding carbs!

Patience 04-10-2013 05:30 AM

You could also be reacting to the splenda . . . some folks do.

I use liquid aminos rather than soy sauce . . . no added salt or sugar.
It still has a salty taste, which the label describes as naturally occurring. [that's my recollection, I may need to revisit the label]

Wow I love the idea of the stir fry with CO and Source Cream.
Some of my fav ingredients in that one! thanks DeltaS.