LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
Look at what I found at Walgreens!

Found this at Walgreens today and was shocked, I scooped it up and am now going to look it over, I haven't seen any Low Carb geared magazines in such a long time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_001451.jpg (44.2 KB, 65 views)
Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Nice find! Is it a monthly magazine?
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/195/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Awesome, thanks!
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I saw this in the Grocery store last night! How is it? Worth buying?
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/129.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Yay!! I hope I can find one!
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I think its a special issue of Diabetic Living.

I just went through and marked pages of recipes I could eat now

They do have a lot of good recipes though, especially for those who are working up the rungs of Atkins or those in Maintenance. They also offer substitutions (so if they use sugar, they give the carb count if you use splenda or another AS)

Pretty happy with my purchase
Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
when I see that the recipes have less than 30 grams of carb PER SERVING I know this is not low carb in the sense we use the term. those "diabetes" people are very annoying with stuff like this!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 263/251/145 (5'6")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/14/14
Yeah, I saw that recently but after a quick flip-thru it looked like a lot of the recipes were rather high in carbs. Hope you find something useful within its pages
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Same! It's really encouraging to see LC making its way back into magazines, but man... I have a mini panic attack whenever I think about eating 30 carbs in one meal anymore That's actually about 2x or more what I eat in an entire day! Although like you were saying, it looks like maybe it'd be suitable for those in maintenance... that lasagna sure does look tasty!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Same! It's really encouraging to see LC making its way back into magazines, but man... I have a mini panic attack whenever I think about eating 30 carbs in one meal anymore That's actually about 2x or more what I eat in an entire day! Although like you were saying, it looks like maybe it'd be suitable for those in maintenance... that lasagna sure does look tasty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by muncheechee View Post
Yeah, I saw that recently but after a quick flip-thru it looked like a lot of the recipes were rather high in carbs. Hope you find something useful within its pages
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
when I see that the recipes have less than 30 grams of carb PER SERVING I know this is not low carb in the sense we use the term. those "diabetes" people are very annoying with stuff like this!
There are definitely a few induction friendly recipe in these pages, and you could easily make substitutions in some of the recipes (ie: parmesan cheese for bread crumbs or sugar for splenda/stevia etc) but I really think it will help once I start adding more things in.

It was still refresshing to see 'low carb' though
Old 04-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Chillas View Post
There are definitely a few induction friendly recipe in these pages, and you could easily make substitutions in some of the recipes (ie: parmesan cheese for bread crumbs or sugar for splenda/stevia etc) but I really think it will help once I start adding more things in.

It was still refresshing to see 'low carb' though
Ooooh or ground pork rinds That's true though, that's what I do with a lot of recipes I see nowadays... I get an idea from them, and then I go about substituting/removing things until it suits my needs. I might pick up a copy if I see it when I'm at the grocery store next! It definitely is nice seeing LC hitting the mainstream somewhat again

...beats the heck out of seeing another magazine pushing low fat SUPERHEALTHYWHOLEGRAIN diets down our throats
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
This made me laugh. My blood sugar is so unforgiving. I could never get away w this style of "low carb." I do think its nice, though, that the phrase is being used to connote a healthy way of eating.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Yes, it's a special edition magazine, not a monthly. From the editors of "Diabetic Living", from the close-up of the cover. From looking through their web site, they focus on counting carbs, or the "plate method" from the ADA, but don't say how many carbs/day. But that's pretty much what I would expect; some diabetics need to eat carbs to offset the medicine they're taking. And even 30 grams/meal is "low carb" compared to where most of us started, at some 300 carbs/day.

Thanks for letting us know that some of the recipes are truly on the lower end of "low carb"
Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Most things I have read

list 50 and under a day as "low carb." So If you happen to eat 30 in one meal, but still make it in for the day at 50 or under, why wouldn't this be low carb?

I do understand that a heavy carb load at one sitting isn't a great idea, but it is possible to balance out those 30 carbs with protein and fat in the same meal and lessen the blood sugar hit.

And yes, considering that the average American Daily carb consumption is around 250 a day, I guess we can say that "low carb" is a relative term, but certainly not just pertinent to those who never go over 10 or 20 carbs a day.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
I have noticed that even most diabetes recipes are sold out to the low calorie, low fat no work method. I gave up totally on that a few years ago when my mother-in-law went into a nursing home. They came out with her diabetic lunch that included a tiny piece of meat, a fruit, two high carb veggies, and a cup of ice cream. According to their dietician an 1800 calorie/day diet is defined as for diabetics. Insanity.
Those recipes will likely require about as much modification as a regular cook book to fit a real LC lifestyle.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Sounds like fake low carb to me. The problem I see is people who don't know better buying the magazine and thinking they are doing low carb, and then concluding low carb is bunk when it doesn't work.

And as for diabetics who "need" a certain level of carbs because of the medications they are taking, maybe it's the amount of medications they wouldn't need if they were eating fewer carbs in the first place.

Just curious who the advertisers are? I'm guessing its the manufacturers of low fat products, artificial sweeteners, and statin and diabetic drugs (maybe ED drugs, too).
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
I saw it at my grocery store and was looking at the lasagna recipe while in line. I liked the meatball idea but wouldn't use noodles. It's diabetic things like this that I only take ideas from that I can tweak. I'm going to see if my library has a copy.
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCWizard View Post
I saw it at my grocery store and was looking at the lasagna recipe while in line. I liked the meatball idea but wouldn't use noodles. It's diabetic things like this that I only take ideas from that I can tweak. I'm going to see if my library has a copy.
Its definitely nice to have a base recipe in these magazines and then tweak them in order to make them more suitable for your own personalized plan. I lack at creativity for my meals so I still think the magazine was worth the $6 I paid for it, and yes it might not be strict Low Carb but I appreciate that they still have some information out there since Low Carb diets get such a bad wrap. Besides I feel like its nearly impossible to find magazines or anything related to the Low Carb lifestyle these days (as compared to a few years ago).
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikixie
Stats: 364/309/???
WOE: Atkins
They repackage and trot these same recipes out all the time. I saw it at the store and had to laugh that a magazine with low carb across the top had a picture of lasagna on the cover!
Nikixie is offline   Reply With Quote