Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Look at what I found at Walgreens! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801350-look-what-i-found-walgreens.html)

Mad4Chillas 04-04-2013 02:19 PM

Look at what I found at Walgreens!

1 Attachment(s)
Found this at Walgreens today and was shocked, I scooped it up and am now going to look it over, I haven't seen any Low Carb geared magazines in such a long time!

MsWoods 04-04-2013 02:31 PM

Nice find! Is it a monthly magazine?

natural_born_texan 04-04-2013 02:31 PM

Awesome, thanks!

princessmommy 04-04-2013 02:38 PM

I saw this in the Grocery store last night! How is it? Worth buying?

MtherGoos 04-04-2013 02:42 PM

Yay!! I hope I can find one!

Mad4Chillas 04-04-2013 02:44 PM

I think its a special issue of Diabetic Living.

I just went through and marked pages of recipes I could eat now :lol:

They do have a lot of good recipes though, especially for those who are working up the rungs of Atkins or those in Maintenance. They also offer substitutions (so if they use sugar, they give the carb count if you use splenda or another AS)

Pretty happy with my purchase :)

ravenrose 04-04-2013 03:40 PM

when I see that the recipes have less than 30 grams of carb PER SERVING I know this is not low carb in the sense we use the term. those "diabetes" people are very annoying with stuff like this!

muncheechee 04-04-2013 04:00 PM

Yeah, I saw that recently but after a quick flip-thru it looked like a lot of the recipes were rather high in carbs. Hope you find something useful within its pages

raindroproses 04-04-2013 04:44 PM

Same! It's really encouraging to see LC making its way back into magazines, but man... I have a mini panic attack whenever I think about eating 30 carbs in one meal anymore :laugh: That's actually about 2x or more what I eat in an entire day! Although like you were saying, it looks like maybe it'd be suitable for those in maintenance... that lasagna sure does look tasty! :)

Mad4Chillas 04-04-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16355357)
Same! It's really encouraging to see LC making its way back into magazines, but man... I have a mini panic attack whenever I think about eating 30 carbs in one meal anymore :laugh: That's actually about 2x or more what I eat in an entire day! Although like you were saying, it looks like maybe it'd be suitable for those in maintenance... that lasagna sure does look tasty! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by muncheechee (Post 16355295)
Yeah, I saw that recently but after a quick flip-thru it looked like a lot of the recipes were rather high in carbs. Hope you find something useful within its pages

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16355273)
when I see that the recipes have less than 30 grams of carb PER SERVING I know this is not low carb in the sense we use the term. those "diabetes" people are very annoying with stuff like this!

There are definitely a few induction friendly recipe in these pages, and you could easily make substitutions in some of the recipes (ie: parmesan cheese for bread crumbs or sugar for splenda/stevia etc) but I really think it will help once I start adding more things in.

It was still refresshing to see 'low carb' though :p

raindroproses 04-04-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad4Chillas (Post 16355366)
There are definitely a few induction friendly recipe in these pages, and you could easily make substitutions in some of the recipes (ie: parmesan cheese for bread crumbs or sugar for splenda/stevia etc) but I really think it will help once I start adding more things in.

It was still refresshing to see 'low carb' though :p

Ooooh or ground pork rinds :yummy: That's true though, that's what I do with a lot of recipes I see nowadays... I get an idea from them, and then I go about substituting/removing things until it suits my needs. I might pick up a copy if I see it when I'm at the grocery store next! It definitely is nice seeing LC hitting the mainstream somewhat again :)

...beats the heck out of seeing another magazine pushing low fat SUPERHEALTHYWHOLEGRAIN diets down our throats :hyst:

rubidoux 04-04-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16355273)

This made me laugh. :) My blood sugar is so unforgiving. I could never get away w this style of "low carb." I do think its nice, though, that the phrase is being used to connote a healthy way of eating.

synger 04-05-2013 03:43 PM

Yes, it's a special edition magazine, not a monthly. From the editors of "Diabetic Living", from the close-up of the cover. From looking through their web site, they focus on counting carbs, or the "plate method" from the ADA, but don't say how many carbs/day. But that's pretty much what I would expect; some diabetics need to eat carbs to offset the medicine they're taking. And even 30 grams/meal is "low carb" compared to where most of us started, at some 300 carbs/day.

Thanks for letting us know that some of the recipes are truly on the lower end of "low carb"

Blue Skies 04-05-2013 11:16 PM

Most things I have read

list 50 and under a day as "low carb." So If you happen to eat 30 in one meal, but still make it in for the day at 50 or under, why wouldn't this be low carb?

I do understand that a heavy carb load at one sitting isn't a great idea, but it is possible to balance out those 30 carbs with protein and fat in the same meal and lessen the blood sugar hit.

And yes, considering that the average American Daily carb consumption is around 250 a day, I guess we can say that "low carb" is a relative term, but certainly not just pertinent to those who never go over 10 or 20 carbs a day.

Chuck41 04-06-2013 04:11 AM

I have noticed that even most diabetes recipes are sold out to the low calorie, low fat no work method. I gave up totally on that a few years ago when my mother-in-law went into a nursing home. They came out with her diabetic lunch that included a tiny piece of meat, a fruit, two high carb veggies, and a cup of ice cream. According to their dietician an 1800 calorie/day diet is defined as for diabetics. Insanity.
Those recipes will likely require about as much modification as a regular cook book to fit a real LC lifestyle.

Janknitz 04-06-2013 08:19 AM

Sounds like fake low carb to me. The problem I see is people who don't know better buying the magazine and thinking they are doing low carb, and then concluding low carb is bunk when it doesn't work.

And as for diabetics who "need" a certain level of carbs because of the medications they are taking, maybe it's the amount of medications they wouldn't need if they were eating fewer carbs in the first place.

Just curious who the advertisers are? I'm guessing its the manufacturers of low fat products, artificial sweeteners, and statin and diabetic drugs (maybe ED drugs, too).

LCWizard 04-06-2013 08:28 AM

I saw it at my grocery store and was looking at the lasagna recipe while in line. I liked the meatball idea but wouldn't use noodles. It's diabetic things like this that I only take ideas from that I can tweak. I'm going to see if my library has a copy.

Mad4Chillas 04-07-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCWizard (Post 16358011)
I saw it at my grocery store and was looking at the lasagna recipe while in line. I liked the meatball idea but wouldn't use noodles. It's diabetic things like this that I only take ideas from that I can tweak. I'm going to see if my library has a copy.

Its definitely nice to have a base recipe in these magazines and then tweak them in order to make them more suitable for your own personalized plan. I lack at creativity for my meals so I still think the magazine was worth the $6 I paid for it, and yes it might not be strict Low Carb but I appreciate that they still have some information out there since Low Carb diets get such a bad wrap. Besides I feel like its nearly impossible to find magazines or anything related to the Low Carb lifestyle these days (as compared to a few years ago).

Nikixie 04-08-2013 06:44 AM

They repackage and trot these same recipes out all the time. I saw it at the store and had to laugh that a magazine with low carb across the top had a picture of lasagna on the cover!