Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: IWILLDOIT1978
Stats: 266/?/ just to be healthy again!! :)
WOE: LOW CARB
Start Date: 11-4-06 restart 4/4/2013
So here it is

I was doing great on low carb. I went to work everyday and fought the fact that most everyone at my work including a close friend thought that what I was doing was unhealthy and wrong!! They told me I had to eat what I was served because we were suppose to be promoting a healthy way of eating for my students. Yes!! It made me angry. I got a doctor's note stating that I needed to eat a different way due to health reasons!! My work backed off then. But my coworker and friend did not!! I started out at 265 and lost down to 235 in a matter of 4 months. Out of concern my co worker told me that she was worried about me. I said why and she said that she hopes I eat more at home that I do there. She said that eating disorders are easy to get and that they are hard to get rid of. She, I guess saw me headed this way. I started eating more at work because of her concerns. One day I was angry and tired of it all. I hit 235 and didn't budge!!I was there still eating like I was suppose to for about 2 more months and then I got very upset about this and frustrated. One day I had heard one to many of her "concerns." While she was not looking I began to stuff oreos, crackers, cereal, milk, juice, chocolate milk, rice krispie treats in my mouth for several weeks without her seeing me. Then one day she came in and I decided not to hide it anymore. So she saw me eating with the kids and said are you eating chips with that meat too. I said yes. Nice friend that was concerned never noticed how upset I was!! Or depressed I was!! She said she thought I seemed happier!! I was not!! I was miserable and angry!! She didn't know!! I promised myself that I would not let her or anyone else know how unhappy I was. I quit my job. Not for this reason alone but for others too. I didn't want her to know that I had gave up on my lifestyle but it was due in large part to the stress there. You see, I am an emotional eater!! I always have been!! Not a cop out just the way it is!! So here it is... I am back and I am fighting with everything that is within me to at least get back to where I was two months ago!! Please help me to do this by encouraging me, being a friend and not constantly telling me what I am doing is wrong or unhealthy!!! Thanks so much!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Ugh, I'm SO sorry your supposed friend and your other coworkers put you through that... that's just terrible! I don't understand why other people always feel the need to make nasty comments about what anyone else is eating. It's really none of their business!

I HAVE someone in my life right now that's struggling with an eating disorder, and they really are nasty and terrible to deal with... but eating LC is NOT an eating disorder! Eating LC is a HEALTHY way of living, and a HEALTHY way of losing weight... so good for you for realizing this is the right path for you again!

It sounds like you really needed to get out of that toxic environment for sure. I don't know if your "friend" was jealous of your weight loss, or if she was just one of those "I know better than you what's right for YOUR body" sorts of people, but either way... she was toxic, and not someone that was truly promoting your well-being in the grand scheme of things.

I was an emotional eater too in a lot of ways... I still am to some degree, but LC has helped to me to curb that! There are so many great people on here from so many different walks of life, and with so many different concerns of their own. You're definitely among friends here, and I wish you the best of luck with your journey! Keep us all up to date on how you're doing, and I'll be sure to cheer you on! If you haven't seen the journal section yet, I've found it to be a GREAT way of keeping myself accountable and getting out some of that emotional stuff too so I don't eat my feelings... maybe it'd help you too
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 341/301.6/150
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: Hcg 1/5/13, LC 2/10/13
I'm sorry for all the junk your friends put you through. This site has been a great encouragement for me, so I'm sure it will be for you too
TheSouthernPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
ick

if this person were trying to get you to switch your politics, become liberal if you are conservative or vice versa, wouldn't you just be ANNOYED? you wouldn't react by suddenly switching to the other party to "show her," right? this is just ideology. Don't let it affect your behavior! *hug*
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
^ good point
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I've enjoyed your posts and I think you are a super sweet person, so I'm glad you're back!

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/222/199
Start Date: April 2012
So sorry you had to go through that! You can do this! I would be willing to bet that a lot of people here are emotional eaters. It is important to address this issue in your life by whatever means possible. We all have different ways of dealing with it.

I find that eating LC really helps me because I don't have the physical cravings for food like I used to. I still have mental issues with food, but I try to meet those issues head on.

You are among friends here. Noone will judge you for your food choices. We all do different things.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jannybunny
Stats: 175/110/115 restart 187/146/130
Start Date: 1/4/2008 restarted for the last time 1/3/2013
You can do it
Jannybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 2.1.14 * 244#/234# 2.23.14
WOE: Carb Adicted: Atkins 72, measured portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I lost 84# on Atkins 72, years ago... not far from goal when I stalled. I had many well meaning friends sabotage my WOE. Then I gave up myself. I started eatting sweet treats... and gained back nearly everything I'd lost. My Dr sent me to a neutritionist & I gained still more. I KNOW I am metabolically challenged.
I hate that I DID THIS TO MYSELF. So I am back. I'm down 13 so far. I can not exercize significantly but I try to get outy daily. I'm not hungry... and I am still losing. Typically a pound a week. I am going to do this.
I am an emotional eatter too. Plus I give in to temptations. There are store aisles I can not go down. If I am confronted with a temptation I try to turn my back on it.
Sunday it was a serving tray of brownies... I asked the hostess to move it to the other side of the table (funny the cakes on my side didn't appeal to me). I had more desire for brunch waffles but filled up on scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage. I got enough on my plate & sent the plate to the sink. (Probably ate too much but all legal items)
Today there was candies on the counter at the bank! I managed to transact my business & get out.
It IS one day at a time. It will probably always be one day at a time. But I enjoy the food I can have (maybe a guy thing). If I'm not hungry, whjat more do I need?

WE CAN DO THIS.

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 after years of mis-dx & vague symptoms *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Here is the deal. REFUSE TO DISCUSS YOUR DIETARY NEEDS WITH "FRIENDS". In fact it might be best for the time being to just keep yourself quiet about how and what you eat. Why would anyone argue with you eating, say, some chicken and some veggies for lunch? If anyone asks - you have quit eating sugar and wheat products for health reasons. Period. You owe them NO FURTHER EXPLANATION.

If someone pushes stuff on you that you don't care to eat, simply smile and say, "Oh, no thanks!" If they push further, say, "NO, thanks, I don't care for any." Any MORE pushing gets the fish-eye and a firm, "I've said NO twice now." And leave it at that.

YOU are worth this. YOU can do this for YOU, not for any other person. Just refuse to engage in conversations about it - change the subject, or just smile and say nothing at all.

You know you can do it - you've proven it to yourself - now GO DO IT!! We're all here rooting you on!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
Ditto Charski!
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

The support I get here is absolutely overwhelming!! Thanks everyone!! I do have to add that there was one of my co workers that did try to encourage me in her own way and I do appreciate that!! She didn't always agree with everything I did and that's okay. I didn't always agree with everything she did either!! She is a great person!! I guess it just hurt hearing all this from someone I consider a friend and still do!! I just don't think she understood everything I was doing. Maybe she was concerned because she didnt understand. I don't know. It was just too much because sometimes she just pushed a little too hard!!
IWILLDOIT1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Low Carb goes against everything mainstream media, our doctors, nutritionists have been taught. It's like the riddle that aeronautical engineers determined that bumble bees can't possibly fly. But they do.

I'm doing Atkins 72 because it worked for me. Atkins 02 "net carbs" did not work for me. I'm sure I'll have to deal with the well meaning friends again. I am prepared to be obstinate, even rude. My previous experience made me think that others were jealous of my success & pushed their poor choices & I gave in.
I AM happy with my WOE. I AM NOT hungry. I feel better when I weigh less.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman1776 View Post
Low Carb goes against everything mainstream media, our doctors, nutritionists have been taught. It's like the riddle that aeronautical engineers determined that bumble bees can't possibly fly. But they do.

I'm doing Atkins 72 because it worked for me. Atkins 02 "net carbs" did not work for me. I'm sure I'll have to deal with the well meaning friends again. I am prepared to be obstinate, even rude. My previous experience made me think that others were jealous of my success & pushed their poor choices & I gave in.
I AM happy with my WOE. I AM NOT hungry. I feel better when I weigh less.

That is exactly it!! I am not hungry, I feel more energetic when I am eating right and I feel soooo much better when I weigh less!!
IWILLDOIT1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Just keep hanging out here, get your strength from others......

Everyone here is so helpful. Whatever your woe, we all will be here for you.

As you know, there are many LC'ers here, who have made this woe work for them. You can too.
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
IWILLDOIT, repeat after me...

It's none of your business.

Repeat as necessary.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
Start Date: 9/17/12
[QUOTE=flagman1776;16356230]Low Carb goes against everything mainstream media, our doctors, nutritionists have been taught. It's like the riddle that aeronautical engineers determined that bumble bees can't possibly fly. But they do.
QUOTE]

THIS IS THE PROBLEM. We need our own lobbying group!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Your back and now you just gotta stay the course...you know in your heart what is best...don't let stalls or friends get you down...if she were a true friend she would have your back...just let her know that you will have bloodwork done after some some losses and they will prove you right. Good luck and welcome back.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs S View Post

Repeat as necessary.
to re

Exactly. You sound like a nice person, but you need to reach down deep and pull out your inner b****. You just have to tell people to mind their own damn biz. You only get one life and it's short. Don't let others ruin a good thing!
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman1776 View Post
Only because they focus on the lack of "healthy whole grains" and "healthy carbs".

I find that when I draw the focus to veggies and protein, most people don't even notice that my salad doesn't have croutons or that I'm eating my tuna salad with celery rather than having it in a sandwich. They see the "healthy vegetables" and assume the dressing is low-fat or the tuna salad is made with yogurt instead of full-fat mayo.

My lunches may look like I'm on a diet. But at my weight, that shouldn't be surprising. If you really look at what I bring for lunch -- soup and salad most days -- no one would say it's "unhealthy". They see the veggies and the soup and don't notice the lack of starch.

Now, the days that I forget my lunch, and I'm eating from my emergency low-carb stash in my drawer, squeezing mayo from a packet onto Vienna sausages from a can? Those days they might think I'm not eating so healthy.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #22
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs S View Post

Repeat as necessary.

Welcome back! You probably already know that most of us have had a giant off plan 'incident' in one form or another. Mine lasted years. The important thing is to never stop trying.

Until a couple of years ago, I was the only one in my social circle doing low carb and this forum was (and is) my support. We are here for you!!

Last edited by clackley; 04-06-2013 at 09:41 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
Welcome back - you know you can do it, low carb is healthy for you many studies have proven that. Charski is right do not discuss your eating habits with anyone it is none of their business.

I had lunch with 3 of my sisters a few weeks ago and none of them low carb and when I ordered my bacon cheeseburger with no bun and broccoli instead of fries the waitress didn't think a thing of it. So it is getting more mainstream than it was, I felt great after my low carb lunch and they were all tired.

If you are worried about your health don't be I had a stroke 16 months ago and went on Atkins to lose weight and get healthy afterwards, my nurse practitioner fully supports my way of eating and lifestyle. I was given a 100% clean bill of health and taken off of blood thinners and put on a daily dose of aspirin in the end of January by my neurologist. Attribute my good health now to my low carb lifestyle.

Come here for support whenever you need it and you will have your weight back down in no time!!!

Audrey
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
It is hard when people try to tell you what is best. People are so brainwashed on what is considered to be healthy. The first time I did low carb I also had a job on which I had to have family style meals with the preschool aged kids I worked with. I did a lot of moving food around on my plate. Now I teach in an elementary school but I still have coworkers that look disapprovingly at my lunches. They disapprove all they want. I look and feel better eating the way I eat.

Last edited by Ocean; 04-06-2013 at 06:36 PM..
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
Start Date: June 2012
Sounds like you are back on track and making good choices for you. Reading this forum keeps me on track and much good advice given here. And i do think it helps to just tell people you are not eating sugar and grains. Welcome back!!
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eyma
Stats: 185(?)/165/141
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Here is the deal. REFUSE TO DISCUSS YOUR DIETARY NEEDS WITH "FRIENDS". In fact it might be best for the time being to just keep yourself quiet about how and what you eat. Why would anyone argue with you eating, say, some chicken and some veggies for lunch? If anyone asks - you have quit eating sugar and wheat products for health reasons. Period. You owe them NO FURTHER EXPLANATION.

:
I totally agree. For some reason, some people feel it's OK to comment on what you are eating if they happen to know that you are following a particular diet. Or sometimes (a classic) they insist on offering you a piece of cake, knowing you are working hard at staying away from sugar. Interestingly enough, if you say, for example, you don't like something or are allergic to it, then that's OK, they let it go. Bizarre.

You are doing an amazing thing - looking after yourself. That includes staying away from unhelpful/toxic people. There are plenty in the world who are supportive and kind (and this board is full of them). Good luck on your journey!
Eyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I have tried other (mainstream) "healthy way of eating" and that's what brought me to this state. So has just about every other person here. It's time to step back & admit the mainstream "heathy way of eating" didn't work for me. So if it didn't work then why keep doing it? That does not make any sense. So we find a plan that does work for US. It does not matter if it works for our friends or coworkers or random strangers.
We should not crumble, be so insecure... that others rude attitude or ignorant hints throw us off a plan that is working for us. Mankind is a social being... we WANT to be accepted. But the are times when we must agree to disagree. I am going to remember this to use if my So-Called Friends do things which tempt me & make my WOE uncomfortable.
The worst offender is obese & diabetic yet has said I "looked unheathy" when I had lost 80 some pounds... Yeah, like is rocking for their WOE!! While I would not say it out loud, I need to think it. And turn my back on their temptations. I need to think of portable camping snacks to have when we are together.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Hi,
So sorry to hear how your well meaning friends contribute to your stress.
You see alot of that around here. It's that stupid food pyramid.
But sometimes it's more.
Our freinds can be very invested in us being how they need us to be.
Was your friend at work overweight herself? I have seen problems among friends when one starts to make significant improvements in weight. The other can be very threatened by this and will work to sabotage the other while sounding concerned.
Even if your friend is not overweight she can still want you to stay heavy.
You might be her "fat friend" the one she can point to in her mind. When her own troubles are grieving her she can think "At least I'm not like her".
If that's the case, then guess what?
It's her problem and you don't have to buy into it. You are allowed to be the person you want to be regardless of how others need to perceive you. Give yourself permission to be happy, healthy and thin. Eventually your friends will admire you for it.
I'm glad you posted here. LCF is the most supportive web environment I have ever seen.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs_Potato_Head
Stats: 467/450/143-154?
Start Date: 2 March 2013
I find it strange that fat discrimination is still so socially acceptable. To have people (not professional nutritionists even) tell you what you should and should not eat is just unbelievably rude. YOU know what is best for you, Im assuming you are an adult who can read, has a vague understanding of food and who is capable of making your own decisions? Then is someone tries to tell what you should be doing in the future, simply tell them that as an adult you no longer need to be mothereed. That you are a big girl now and you can live with the consequences of your own actions. Ask them what is so wrong with avoiding chips, doughnuts, cookies, chocolate bars, sugar, ect, ect? Ask them also why it matters to them so much what you put in your body? After turning the tables, at least they will back off you. And it has nothing to do with health, a recent study just found out that overweight people actually live longer than average weight or obese people. All it has to do with is most feel that people, especially women, should not be fat.

Im an emotional eater as well, its a very difficult beast to tame. Alcoholics and drug addicts can put their coping mechanisms down and at least can live without them. While it must be hard to do that, eaters have to not only have food in their face almost everywhere they are but they also have to pull that dragon out of a cage and wrestle it three times a day. Perhaps we should all get together and help eachother out? Maybe set a weekly meeting to talk about other coping strategies we can use or just share our problems and triumphs? If you ever need to talk, you can always PM me.

Last edited by Mrs_Potato_Head; 04-07-2013 at 05:20 AM..
Mrs_Potato_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
If they were insisting you have a cigarette or joint with them or at least get it lit for them wouldn't that seem horrendous and be easy to refuse?

I don't see a lot of difference other than they 'think' they are right.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote