Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   PBS: Eat, Fast and Live Longer With Michael Mosley (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801259-pbs-eat-fast-live-longer-michael-mosley.html)

Liz1959 04-04-2013 01:10 AM

PBS: Eat, Fast and Live Longer With Michael Mosley

Did anyone else see this on PBS?
It is about research into calorie restriction and fasting(kind of IF and JUDD).

Some of the research is into the GLF-1 insulin type growth hormone. It appears that when the GLF-1 is high cell growth goes into overdrive, but cell maintenance is sacrificed. They also linked it to excess protein.
A village was studied where all of the people were short, but they had no cancer. They were very healthy small people that didn't make GLF-1.

It was really interesting. I think he went to 3 different recearch facilities. Not as in depth as I would like but some great food for google. I'm going to try to catch it again.

JMacB 04-04-2013 03:40 AM

I saw it. Very interesting. I wish I'd recorded it to watch again, said just happened upon it last night.

Kateee 04-04-2013 05:35 AM

Google Eat, Fast and Live Longer With Michael Mosley
There is some YouTube footage

He also has a book. "The FastDiet: Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, and Live Longer with the Simple Secret of Intermittent Fasting" by Michael Mosley and Mimi Spencer

Has anyone read it?

clackley 04-04-2013 05:41 AM

It can be found on line. Just google it!!

mom23kids 04-04-2013 06:12 AM

There's a 5:2/fast diet thread in the JUDDD section :) I'm doing a modified version for maintenance and :love: it.

Dr. Mosley's plan is very similar to JUDDD, just less dds and not as strict on the normal/up days.

fiddlejen 04-04-2013 07:35 AM

I saw it. Thought it was a good show. I'm currently trying to combine LC with 16-8 / 19-5. It seems to work reasonably well... although I got derailed just recently (first by choice but then by un-disclosed ingredient mistake), and am once again starting again. I don't really believe that the approach of 2 fast days & all the rest "free" days would be effective for me. For starters, I've never been able to complete a full-day fast! But, it has gotten me wondering about possible approaches..

mom23kids 04-04-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddlejen (Post 16354234)
I saw it. Thought it was a good show. I'm currently trying to combine LC with 16-8 / 19-5. It seems to work reasonably well... although I got derailed just recently (first by choice but then by un-disclosed ingredient mistake), and am once again starting again. I don't really believe that the approach of 2 fast days & all the rest "free" days would be effective for me. For starters, I've never been able to complete a full-day fast! But, it has gotten me wondering about possible approaches..

You don't actually fully fast on the 2 fasting days-women still eat 500 calories and men eat 600 calories :)

lisamt 04-04-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz1959 (Post 16353737)
Did anyone else see this on PBS?
It is about research into calorie restriction and fasting(kind of IF and JUDD).

Some of the research is into the GLF-1 insulin type growth hormone. It appears that when the GLF-1 is high cell growth goes into overdrive, but cell maintenance is sacrificed. They also linked it to excess protein.
A village was studied where all of the people were short, but they had no cancer. They were very healthy small people that didn't make GLF-1.

It was really interesting. I think he went to 3 different recearch facilities. Not as in depth as I would like but some great food for google. I'm going to try to catch it again.

The insulin type growth hormone is IGF-1. Just wanted to point that out in case anyone wanted to do a search for more reading on it. :)

The video is available on PBS. Eat, Fast, and Live Longer

Liz1959 04-04-2013 10:27 AM

Thanks for catching that. I don't see any way to edit my post.
From googling, I see that this is kind of old news, but it sure wasn't for me!
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisamt (Post 16354666)
The insulin type growth hormone is IGF-1. Just wanted to point that out in case anyone wanted to do a search for more reading on it. :)

The video is available on PBS. Eat, Fast, and Live Longer

KeirasMom 04-04-2013 01:00 PM

I did JUDDD through the bulk of my weight loss, and am doing 5:2 now for maintenance. I can't say enough good things about these plans. They're fantastic!

I have the book and am partway through, and I recorded the show last night but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

DiamondDeb 04-04-2013 03:13 PM

I did not see it but my TV Guide app tells me it will be shown several more times so I set a reminder.

I'm not really interested in fasting but I'm open-minded and curious about what he has to say.