LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: travelgirl77
Stats: 228/228/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 5, 2013
Talk to me about dental health.

So, next week, and the week after I am scheduled for two root canals. I have one done before, as well as a reverse root canal because they did not get everything out the first time. Let's just say, I have issues. I asked the dentist last week if I was going to lose my teeth because I already have a few crowns and obviously am set to have two more. She said that I wouldn't lose my teeth, but I need to make sure I come every six months and do what they tell me.

But, here is the thing...I do. I brush, I floss, and I try to drink a lot of water.

My question to you is did you notice low carb helped your dental health? I am really hoping that by recommitting to low carb, and for me, specifically Atkins, my dental health will improve. I am not happy with all of the work that has been done and will be done to my mouth, and really not happy with how much it costs. Seriously, the next two visits have me at just south of $700 with insurance.

Needless to say, something has to change. Please give me words of hope.
travelgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
I have awful teeth! I'm a grinder (note: actually clencher) when I sleep. The dentists always tell me the materials aren't strong enough for that. I have cracked through the "lifetime" bite guard. I have had 3 root canals and need another. All have crowns so.... all I can say is I understand and sympathize! I don't know that low carb has helped me - because everything is such a mess already
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
I don't know about long term diet but smoking killed mine.I quit smoking but too late for two of my teeth that I had to have pulled a month after I quit.

what I do know is no sugar has to be a good thing for teeth.It is the dentists big complaint,eating sticky sweets.I also know that since I went low carb my teeth look whiter and healthier every day.

YMMV.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I think a lot of dental health is genetic and a lot is based on our diet from early childhood, and possibly even before that (i.e., perhaps even what your mother ate while she was pregnant with you). Do you use xylitol? Xylitol reduces bad bacteria in the mouth. It may be too late for you at this point, but it wouldn't hurt to try. We started using it after my son got a cavity at age 3. We're not using it so much any longer, but I do brush with xylitol toothpaste every day, and occassionaly use xylitol gum and mints.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 04-03-2013 at 05:46 PM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: travelgirl77
Stats: 228/228/130
Start Date: August 5, 2013
Oh Tina, I am going to ask about grinding. I am pretty sure that I do that in my sleep. I can also feel myself clench during the day when I am stressed or angry.
I do not (and never have) smoked, but I have obviously eaten more sugar than I should. And, strangely I am the only one in my immediate family with these dental problems. I tried to attribute it to my courses of Accutane I took as a teenager, but I don't think the dentist was buying it. And, I will check out xylitol...thanks!

Last edited by travelgirl77; 04-03-2013 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Added sentence.
travelgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Unfortunately, most of it is genetic. I inherited bad teeth--mine don't really form tartar, which can be a bad thing--so I have had a lifetime of cavities, root canals, and expensive work. I take good care of my teeth, am not a smoker, etc., it's just the luck of the draw. Thanks, Dad.

Eating low carb is better than not, because not eating starches and sugars means less scum coating your teeth between brushes and flosses. Also, I have noticed a bit of difference since getting a Sonicare. But those are all just fingers in the dike when you have chronically bad teeth.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I haven't seen a connection with LC, but I have used LC items to make my own toothpaste and since then I haven't felt that fuzzy feeling on my teeth. To experiment, I've gone back to a regular toothpaste and my teeth feel gross and don't look as white. I just use coconut oil, baking soda, salt, and a few essential oils.
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
My teeth and gums went thru a bad period. I have had several root canals, 11 crowns, peridontal disease of the gums, bone grafting, implant/crown, and lost a back molar last year that had to be pulled. All from inflammation, I'm not sure which came first, the inflammation or the pre-diabetes. However, I believe it was in Dr. Bernsteins book that he says that almost all who have bad teeth/gums will eventually be diagnosed with diabetes type 2. Hmmmm!

I can look back at when all my dental problems started about 10 years ago and it fits with what he says. So i'm thinking that since sugar and high carbs contribute to inflammation, then keeping carbs low should help.

I can feel your pain as to the cost of dental work. I can't even total up the vast amounts I've put into my teeth these last 5 years. I now go to the periodontist every 3 months for a deep cleaning. Finally we have it under control!
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #9
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I am old (71) and my dental health has never changed despite radically different changes in eating habits over the years.

I've been blessed with excellent dentists, and they've all said that basic dental health is genetic.

They say that they have patients who do 'everything right'--brush, floss, check ups, etc.--and have continual dental issues, and they've had others who had terrible dental hygiene and not even a cavity.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 215 / ??? / 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/1/2014 (again)
I also have been "dentally" challenged. Cavities ... root canals ... crowns.

The past 10 years, though, have been MUCH better. Not sure if it's the low carb diet -or- the addition of supplements. Specifically CoQ10.
phurst_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
Low carb definately helped me....one cavity in ten years....

Also take a look at the oil pulling thread on LCF's or the net.
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
Be careful with xylitol though, for most people it triggers an insulin response. It you are metabolic impaired, stay away! Lol!
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
I inherited bad teeth and was a smoker (quit over 15 years ago) so I have had many problems, including periodontal disease. My teeth are what they are, but my dentist has noticed a huge improvement in my gum health since I started low carbing. I have been religious about flossing and brushing for years, but the bacteria in my mouth is different without all the sugar and it seems to have the difference. Also, low carb is implicated in reducing inflammation in some people, so it stands to reason that an inflammatory condition like periodontal disease could improve as well.

This is a very happy and unexpected side-effect of low carb for me and a big incentive to stick with it.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancypie11 View Post
Be careful with xylitol though, for most people it triggers an insulin response. It you are metabolic impaired, stay away! Lol!
You don't necessarily need to eat it though. You can brush your teeth with it, chew xylitol gum, use xylitol mouthwash. You don't ingest much that way but it still helps your teeth.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
Some studies have shown teeth regrowing dentin when the subjects (dogs, if i remember correctly) were switched from high carb to low carb diets. Dentin in the layer below the enamel and above the pulp. Further, there appears to be evidence that low carb diets reduce gum disease, which is good for the entire body since it reduces chronic infection.

Can a low carb diet fix all the damage done by a lifetime of sugar? No. Can it reverse some of the damage and keep more from occurring? I think there is good reason to hope.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon bit View Post
I haven't seen a connection with LC, but I have used LC items to make my own toothpaste and since then I haven't felt that fuzzy feeling on my teeth. To experiment, I've gone back to a regular toothpaste and my teeth feel gross and don't look as white. I just use coconut oil, baking soda, salt, and a few essential oils.
Heidi- would you mind sharing how you make your own toothpaste.
I am using tooth soap right and I love it but it is very expensive. You have no issues with coconut oil clogging the drains? I use coconut oil for oil pulling but spit the oil in the garbage can, as I am scared it will clog the drains.
The tooth soap I use has spoonified (sp?) coconut oil. I am trying to find that to make my own tooth soap, but no luck so far.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

I've never had a problem with it clogging the drains. But I've wondered about that so I keep an eye on it. I don't remember the recipe off the top of my head but I mash coconut oil, add baking soda and a dash of salt then I do 10 drops peppermint essential oil and 2 or so cinnamon essential oil.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #18
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
The effects of carbohydrates on dental health are quite astounding. My dental hygienist went low carb when she witnessed what happened to my teeth as a low carber. I also had a lose tooth that is now as solid as a rock.

Tooth decay is one of the earliest harbingers of metabolic disease and as we all know, sugar is at the top of that particular list of known and accepted causes.

There is a good podcast on the Jimmy Moore show that talks about this subject and his name is Dr. Philippe Hujoel. Very interesting!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon bit View Post
I've never had a problem with it clogging the drains. But I've wondered about that so I keep an eye on it. I don't remember the recipe off the top of my head but I mash coconut oil, add baking soda and a dash of salt then I do 10 drops peppermint essential oil and 2 or so cinnamon essential oil.
Thanks!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
I brush AND floss 2-3 times a day religiously. I've been low carb on and off for years. There's definitely a difference in how my teeth feel when I am eating sugar and carbs, I hate that feeling. It just feels gross. But while my teeth feel better now I have not noticed an improvement in my tooth health.

I am also about to go to the dentist for some very expensive work to be done... except I have no insurance and I am panicking at what it is going to cost.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Thanks!
No problem! I had read coconut oil can reverse cavities. I didn't have any before, but I love the smooth all day feeling I get from it.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboozled View Post
I brush AND floss 2-3 times a day religiously. I've been low carb on and off for years. There's definitely a difference in how my teeth feel when I am eating sugar and carbs, I hate that feeling. It just feels gross. But while my teeth feel better now I have not noticed an improvement in my tooth health.

I am also about to go to the dentist for some very expensive work to be done... except I have no insurance and I am panicking at what it is going to cost.
Most dental offices offer a credit payment plan if that will help you. Dental work is definetely not cheap! Good luck!
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I had a dramatic improvement in my gum health after I started LC. I had incipient periodontal disease. I used to gush blood every time I got a cleaning. I had to get a deep cleaning under anesthetic years ago because my teeth/gums were so bad.

I went to a new dentist after about 3 years since my last cleaning. They did a regular cleaning and then told me to come back for the deep clean (since it had been so long). When I came back, the hygienist started to do the deep clean, then stopped and said, "Your teeth are fine, we don't need to do this."

Since LC, I have no bleeding, no more periodontal issues, and my dentist gushes over how awesome my teeth are. I 100% attribute that to not eating wheat or sugar anymore. Those things were incredibly inflammatory to me, so when they were gone, so were the gum problems.
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Under the heading "couldn't hurt, might help" google "oil pulling". Sounds very woo to me, but some people swear by it.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I think dental health is mostly determined by genes- I know people that are slobs and don't brush at night, never floss, eat tons of candy and have the most beautiful teeth with zero cavities. I also know others who do everything and more and constantly have problems.

But, I think eating less sugar definitely helps. I also like gum with just xylitol (mainstream gum brands just have a tiny bit, so you need something like xyloburst gum).

My dental situation hasn't changed because of low carb, but my teeth were always pretty good. One thing that I did notice is that I get more build up on inner surfaces of my teeth and the dentist has more work to do during my 6 month cleanings.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 04-07-2013 at 05:30 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
I had two small cavities that had started to form last year but have completely stopped due to LC eating. I feel you on the expense, I just spent $930 with insurance to get a wisdom tooth pulled and another wisdom tooth cut out (I chose to get knocked out because it would have been alot of trauma if I remained awake), but it had to be done so I bit the bullet and paid it. Good luck on your surgery!
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Had to go to the dentist today because of toothache! My tooth is cracked and the filling in it is So big already that they can't do anything but put on a crown! Ugh!!! Gotta try and come up with over 500 dollars!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote