Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MintyToucan
Please help improve my diet

Here are the things I've been eating for the past week or so. This is just a basic summary of what my diet averages out to be... I haven't had a day where I've eaten this exact diet but I think it's a good example of what a day of mine would look like.

Breakfast: 3-6 eggs, 4-8 oz pork sausage fried in butter or coconut oil, one banana, a bowl of spinach with plenty of butter, and a glass of unsweetened almond milk
Lunch: A bowl of tuna salad with plenty of mayo, an orange, salted cucumber slices, and a glass of unsweetened almond milk
Dinner: Steak fried in butter, broccoli with plenty of butter, 2-4 eggs, strawberries and full fat yogurt, and a glass of water or diet soda

For snacks I eat pork rinds, beef jerky, and diet soda. I'm also praciticing intermittent fasting -- I only eat from 11 AM to 7PM. (Breakfast@11, Lunch@1or2, Dinner@6:30)

I think my diet is pretty much a mess, but I'm wondering if I'm on the right track. I'm currently eating a lot more fruit than I used to but I'm also doing quite a lot of cardio and it doesn't seem like I'm gaining weight or being overly hungry eating like this. I'm concerned I may be malnourished eating this way so I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out some basic improvements. The only critique I won't accept is anything along the lines of "lose the diet soda." I know it's bad for me and yada yada yada, but I only drink it as an occasional treat and I don't think it's going to kill me.

EDIT: And in case you saw my other thread about my weight loss stall and hunger, I'm over that. Right now I don't have the hunger problems and my weight loss is continuing smoothly again.

Last edited by MintyToucan; 04-03-2013 at 03:46 PM..
MintyToucan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
If all you are worried about is malnutrition, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you are stalled in your weight loss though, that is a different story. ??
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
LOL. Your part about the diet soda made me laugh. I have about a 10 can a day habit. I recently decided to give up, thinking it might help speed my weight loss. When I told my Dr, she told me that there was no reason to give it up! LOL I endured horrific headaches for days on end for nothing!!!

Anyway, have you entered your food into a food tracker to see how many calories you're actually consuming? Which plan are you trying to do? It looks like you've had some good losses already!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

What I'm worried about is missing out on specific vitamins and minerals. And I was trying a paleo diet at one point but it's easier for me to eat the way I am. I guess my current diet would be intermittent fasting and low-carb+high-fat.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
What plan are you following other than intermittent fasting? Have you tried tracking your carbs and/or calories?
Your stats indicate you've lost weight so what is happening now that makes you question your approach? Have you stopped losing?

I just saw your other post. In that post you said you keep carbs pretty low but here you list eating bananas and oranges. A small banana has 23g of carbs an orange somewhere around 14g.
I think if you start using a tracker you may get a better idea of exactly what your intake really is.

Lastly, have you had bloodwork done recently? That may be a good idea just to be sure there isn't any medical issue causing the increase in appetite.

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga

Last edited by Biochic; 04-03-2013 at 03:55 PM..
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
LOL. Your part about the diet soda made me laugh. I have about a 10 can a day habit. I recently decided to give up, thinking it might help speed my weight loss. When I told my Dr, she told me that there was no reason to give it up! LOL I endured horrific headaches for days on end for nothing!!!

Anyway, have you entered your food into a food tracker to see how many calories you're actually consuming? Which plan are you trying to do? It looks like you've had some good losses already!
I tried cutting it out too-it was'nt pretty!

I don't follow a lc plan, so I estimated calories for the posted menu and it seems pretty high. If you're losing OP, then it's not an issue, but if you start to stall that could be the culprit.

Eta: I do IF too

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-03-2013 at 03:58 PM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
Start Date: 1/1/2013
If your goal is low carb, I recommend you cut out the fruit. If you are worried about nutrition deficiencies, take a good multi-vitamin. Good luck!
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochic View Post
What plan are you following other than intermittent fasting?
Kinda-sorta-LCHF-ish I suppose. If there comes a day where I don't have a chance to do the cardio, I'll skip on the few carbs I eat for that day.

Quote:
Have you tried tracking your carbs and/or calories?
I've done so in the past but I'm not at the moment. It gets too complicated for me.

Quote:
Your stats indicate you've lost weight so what is happening now that makes you question your approach? Have you stopped losing?
I'm just paranoid. I'm feeling fine and the weight is going down again after the hurdle I described in my other thread.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
If you stall, your protein may be too high... too much protein can be a bad thing too, so be aware of that! Other than that, definitely check out a good multi if you're worried about supplements.
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1972 View Post
If your goal is low carb, I recommend you cut out the fruit.
I suppose the fruit will be the first thing I cut out if the weight loss stops... but I don't see how that little amount would harm me since I do a lot of cardio and a majority of what I eat is high in fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
If you stall, your protein may be too high... too much protein can be a bad thing too, so be aware of that!
Ah yeah... I've been worried about my protein intake too. I'm trying to figure out good ways of adding fat to my diet without a bunch of protein.

Last edited by MintyToucan; 04-03-2013 at 04:01 PM..
Old 04-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintyToucan View Post
I suppose the fruit will be the first thing I cut out if the weight loss stops... but I don't see how that little amount would harm me since I do a lot of cardio and a majority of what I eat is high in fat.

Ah yeah... I've been worried about my protein intake too. I'm trying to figure out good ways of adding fat to my diet without a bunch of protein.
If you like coffee or hot tea, it's great to add coconut oil and/or heavy whipping cream to each glass. That's pure fat with no protein there I add both to every mug I drink!

Also, fat bombs are great for that too. I know there's a thread or two on here somewhere in the recipe forum that's full of ideas for fat bombs. I recently made the cream cheese clouds that everyone raves about, and while there is minimal protein in them from the cream cheese I find that they're high enough in fat that it still gives me a bit of a boost!

Cooking veggies in butter or bacon grease is a great way, and relying more on fattening proteins instead of lean ones has helped me too! For instance, I have a much easier time staying moderate protein and high fat when I choose hamburger meat as my protein rather than a chicken breast. That way the fat and protein for my meat is about balanced and I'm not stuck trying to make up some huge deficit, if that makes sense!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintyToucan View Post
If you were tracking the amount of carbs in all your fruits and what you ate in a day, you might be surprised how many carbs you're actually ingesting! Fruit is very high in carbs and tends to create a pretty strong insulin response in most people... for that reason most people following LC don't eat fruit, and if they do they do so in moderation (i.e. a few berries here and there, but not fruit every day multiple times a day).

If you're at all concerned about carbs, I'd at least try and plug in your fruits and veggies into a tracker just so you could get an idea of how many you're having per day... believe me, they add up and they add up quick!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
If you were tracking the amount of carbs in all your fruits and what you ate in a day, you might be surprised how many carbs you're actually ingesting! Fruit is very high in carbs and tends to create a pretty strong insulin response in most people... for that reason most people following LC don't eat fruit, and if they do they do so in moderation (i.e. a few berries here and there, but not fruit every day multiple times a day).

If you're at all concerned about carbs, I'd at least try and plug in your fruits and veggies into a tracker just so you could get an idea of how many you're having per day... believe me, they add up and they add up quick!
Agree with rainsroproses! A banana can be 25-30 carbs, depending on the size. An orange is usually around 15 carbs and 1 cup of sliced strawberries is about 13 carbs. Just the fruit is almost 60 carbs, which is way more than many people can handle (and stay in ketosis) on a low carb diet. If it is working for you though, then consider yourself lucky! Everyone is different!

Last edited by Julie1972; 04-03-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
If you are worried about not getting enough vitamins and minerals, a multivitamin is the best way to counter that.
Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Dunno. I cannot imagine your sample menu leading to malnourishment of any sort.

You probably should be taking a good multvitamin anyway. And a magnesium supplement just because magnesium is miraculous stuff.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote