Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   First Post - One Week on Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801190-first-post-one-week-low-carb.html)

JDLBK 04-03-2013 03:06 PM

First Post - One Week on Low Carb

Hello, all,

This is my first post. I've been on a Low Carb diet for one week and two days and am currently down 10 pounds!

I don't follow Atkins directly, but kind of indirectly. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does that. I generally keep my carb count at less than 20/day and so far I've been feeling great.

The thing that has surprised me most is simply the way I feel. I feel really good. I don't ever feel 'full' and I especially never feel the sluggish bloating that comes with eating carbs.

Now, I do feel a bit run down and tired, but I've read that's part of induction. A cup of black coffee does the trick for me there.

A couple of questions: are the Ketosis strips worth getting? It'd be nice to see and have reassurance that I am in fact in ketosis, but are they worth buying? Second, is there any real difference of benefit to eating say grilled chicken instead of beef? Or is it that it doesn't matter because the carb count is the same?

Thanks! I've really enjoyed this board so far. My wedding is June 15th and I'm trying to lose 30 pounds. I have 10 weeks left. Is it possible to lose that much by then?

27 Year old Male
Starting Weight: 262
Current Weight: 252
Goal Weight: 230

princessmommy 04-03-2013 03:22 PM

Congrats on the weight loss so far! That's Great!! I didn't get the strips but I know some swear by them. As for the beef/chicken i'm not sure. I eat both but usually more chicken

Julie1972 04-03-2013 03:41 PM

Congrats! It is possible to lose 30 lbs. in that time but you will have to be very strict with your eating. Beef or chicken is fine but be sure to eat enough fat! Maybe add some coconut oil to your coffee. No cheat meals/days and stick with induction foods. I occasionally use the ketosis sticks, but i can usually tell when I'm in ketosis without them. Good luck and keep us posted!

Biochic 04-03-2013 03:42 PM

Welcome!! Great start:jumpjoy:

SchoolPsych1979 04-03-2013 03:45 PM

Me and you are on the same track. I also started 9 days ago and I am down 11 lbs. You can TOTALLY do 30 pounds by June 15th!!! You're a GUY! Guys will lose faster, and your starting weight is also on the higher end as well.

cfine 04-03-2013 03:45 PM

Beef has more fat and less grams of protein, so I usually stick mostly with beef. If you moderate your protein, it will help with weight loss.

MtherGoos 04-03-2013 03:47 PM

I'm with Julie, I don't usually use the strips, but I can tell when I'm in Ketosis without them. My breath is the main clue for me! BLEH!!

It is definitely doable to lose the weight in that amount of time, but like Julie said, you'll have to be very very strict. You may want to really buckle down and do a hardcore Atkins 72 to help you lose that quickly and reach your goal weight by your goal date.

eagle eye 04-03-2013 05:58 PM

:welcome: kutgw!

Mistizoom 04-03-2013 06:13 PM

Welcome! Sounds like you are doing great.

I have some test strips for ketones. I don't use them very often. I figure if I'm losing, it doesn't really matter, and if I'm not I usually know why and I just need to get back on track!

Wendi-Bell 04-03-2013 06:46 PM

YAY! Congrats! Welcome. Not only can you lose it, but you can keep it off!! KUTGW! Stay focused, and DO NOT do the"well, Im losing so much, one bite wont hurt" thing. Yes, it could. I started this WOE 9 years ago. Started back Monday, so day 3. Thanks for reminding me how awesome this WOE can be. :) Stay on the boards....the encouragement definitely helps keep you going.