LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
What a week! Carb Karma...

Well, after 8 months of perfection, I sinned twice last week - the first time when I went to a cheese and charcuterie place with an old friend I hadn't seen for 15 years. They do a tasting 'slate' of 6 different cheeses and the same of charcuterie - and they serve it with a big basket of freshly made French bread slices. Well, I just couldn't eat truly runny cheeses without a little bread, so I gave into temptation - but they were very small slices! No after-effects, although I was expecting them - no weight gain, no tummy upset, nothing - result! The following Sunday (Easter Sunday) my Dad and I went to a place I've been wanting to eat at for ages - it does a 'French Market Table' buffet as the second course - loads of seafood, including oysters and dressed crab, smoked and barbecued salmon, patés and charcuterie - and again, slices of fresh French bread. If only that was all - the main course was roast chicken with bread sauce and stuffing. Oh dear. There was a cheese option for dessert, but there was also my most favourite dessert ever - creme brulee (hangs head in shame) and I ate it.

Again, no after effects - no gain, no bloating, nothing. Then, on Monday night, I was struck down with the Winter Vomiting Bug aka Norovirus. After an entire night of...well, you really don't want to know... I found myself unable to eat anything at all for 36 hours. All I wanted to do was sleep. I think I got rid of any carbs I may have ingested, plus more! As a result, I weigh 2 lbs less than I did before my sins - but I can't recommend it as a way of losing weight, it was truly horrible!

So, there's my confession, and I think I've paid for my lack of control! We're having plain roast chicken and veg for dinner tonight, and I'm back on course, and looking forward to a summer (if we get one) of protein and salad. Just so you have an idea of the temptations I gave into - here are the pics!

Cheese and charcuterie

Bread Basket of Doom

French Market Table

Easter Sunday Bread Selection

Creme Brulee
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
Looks delicious! You certainly deserved to have whatever you want for Easter considering how well you've done! Glad you're back on course. You have excellent taste in food, carb or not. I'm glad you're feeling better.
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I was wondering where you were!! The important thing is that it doesn't become the standard fare and that you are back on plan!! Btw, looks amazing!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
So SORRY you have been sick. I am glad you are feeling better. All that yummy looking food would tempt a saint !!!! I think you did well and am glad you had no gain. Good Luck !!!
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I love charcuterie plates. I think what you did was fine- it was a special occasion and you didn't eat a ton. I always eat the gooey things with a spoon or dip gherkins into it.

I think the drastic symptoms that people get from eating off plan come from eating way too much of a food, not from a little bit of a carb heavy food. I can eat a few pieces of bread or a dessert with no discomfort. One of my classmates attempted low carb and one morning came to tell me how terrible she felt because she went off plan the night before and how she can't do lc because of that. I asked what she ate and it was practically an entire pizza with starchy sides. No wonder she was sick!
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I love charcuterie too! That looks fabulous.

Nolcjunk, I get a stomachache from even a small amount of simple carbs when I've been on plan for a while. Even something like breadcrumbs in a meatball, or a marinade with sugar in it, which wouldn't put me over my carb limit for the day of knock me out of ketosis, can give me a stomachache for a few hours. I think it's a YMMV thing.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I love charcuterie too! That looks fabulous.

Nolcjunk, I get a stomachache from even a small amount of simple carbs when I've been on plan for a while. Even something like breadcrumbs in a meatball, or a marinade with sugar in it, which wouldn't put me over my carb limit for the day of knock me out of ketosis, can give me a stomachache for a few hours. I think it's a YMMV thing.
Interesting. Are you generally really carb sensitive? Can you eat higher carb veggies like potatoes or beets?
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Frankly, I think its fine to indulge for a special occasion like that.... good French bread with quality cheeses while visiting with your best friend is worth it. Eating a crappy bag of potato chips because you are sad = not worth it.

I wouldnt feel bad at all. Get rid of the guilt!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Wow! Looks delicious! Well worth a short cheat!
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
That is great that you can do that! It sounds like you have things well in hand. I would be in all kinds of joint pain and Bain fog if I ate the bread
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Interesting. Are you generally really carb sensitive? Can you eat higher carb veggies like potatoes or beets?
I don't think I'm particularly carb sensitive. I have fairly stable blood sugar, on and off plan. I don't eat potatoes or beets when I'm on plan, so I don't know how they affect me when I'm in the zone.

I'll eat the occasional carrot without issue if I can't avoid them in something when I'm eating out. I'm generally pretty strict about staying within the rules of induction as much as possible, so I can always tell when I have hidden carbs in a restaurant. Like I said, they don't knock me out of ketosis, but my stomach is kind of an early warning system.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 04-03-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/175/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
All I can say is YUM!!!!, and I would have done the same.
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
Jo, your sins were definitely of the venial variety. I think you showed remarkable willpower considering the photos you posted. My sins would most certainly been mortal sins in that restaurant and my penance would have been sleepless nights with terrible cramps in my legs and a gain of at least five pounds.

Pat

P.S. if the restaurant is in Brighton, can you post the name of it please.
Patlaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Yep, it's in Brighton - it's the Hotel du Vin, in Ship Street. They only do the buffet on Sundays, but the weekday menus look good too. The cheese & charcuterie place is La Cave á Fromage in Western Road, at the Floral Clock end - opposite the Hove Kitchen, which I would also recommend.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
Thanks Jo. It's about time I started planning another trip to Brighton. I'll wait until there is at least a possibility of sunshine though.

Pat
Patlaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks all for the sympathy re the norovirus - I think it's finally over (had a bad time with it yesterday, after I thought I'd recovered). Am now down 4 lbs as a result We're off out for Sunday lunch again this week - to the aforementioned Hove Kitchen, for a roast. I know I can stick to low carb there! I've just spotted another restaurant in the area that I really want to try - it's the Little Fish Market in Upper Market Street - run by a guy who used to work with Heston Blumenthal in the Fat Duck - but the prices look very reasonable. It only opened in January, but Tripadvisor reports are great!

Pat - if ever you're in Brighton at the same time as me, we must meet up for a munch!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Oh my, what a gorgeous feast. LOVED the pix. Wanted to be there. And the breads!!!
As others have said, you did remarkably well considering this is something I would want to dive into, not tip toe into. And btw, Creme Brulee is my most fave dessert too.

I think special times call for special treats, it's one of the great things about life, and I don't think you have to give them up to eat LC. It's the fear that you do that I think un-motivates many.

I also think when we do treat ourselves, we should enjoy every bit of it and not soil any of it with regrets. Then back on the horse, knowing there'll be another fabulous feast in your future at some point, something to look forward to---but in the meantime, back to the "norm." For me anyway, that's how you change a Low Carb "diet" into a way of life.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesslynne
Stats: 240/230/140 (52, 5'4", small frame)
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 9/5/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Frankly, I think its fine to indulge for a special occasion like that.... good French bread with quality cheeses while visiting with your best friend is worth it. Eating a crappy bag of potato chips because you are sad = not worth it.

I wouldnt feel bad at all. Get rid of the guilt!
THIS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
<snip>

I think special times call for special treats, it's one of the great things about life, and I don't think you have to give them up to eat LC. It's the fear that you do that I think un-motivates many.

I also think when we do treat ourselves, we should enjoy every bit of it and not soil any of it with regrets. <snip>
Hear, hear!!
goddesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote