Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 170/170/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1/4/14
La Croix Water?

I'm seeing that a lot of folks are using this? What is it? Is it bottled water? I'm in CT - never heard of it.
LoveThoseLeopards is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
It seems to be sparkling water flavored with essential oils and calorie/carb/artificial sweetener/sodium free.

Haven't tried it... but I just may, now. (My diet-soda habit's gotten pretty bad again. I need SOMETHING to fight it with.)
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I drink this in the summer and have on offer to guests at parties.
It seems pretty harmless. I buy less now that I have bought a water carbonator and flavor my own, but I'll still buy it for when I am traveling or just to have on hand in the frig.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Carbonated water in a can. Not sweet. Just flavored with essence I think. I love it. The Cran-Raspberry is my favorite.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: relentless
Stats: 200/162/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 1/05, 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveThoseLeopards View Post
I'm seeing that a lot of folks are using this? What is it? Is it bottled water? I'm in CT - never heard of it.
I'm from MA and had never heard of it either, till I moved to CA. I haven't tried it yet but I plan to. One of the things I miss is being able to buy flavored (essence) seltzer water in cans. In Boston, we could get store brand or Polar seltzer in a bunch of flavors. I've only been able to find plain here so far.
I've seen some flavors in 1 liter bottles but not 2 liters or cans.
relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: neneRN
Stats: 5'1", 149/125.4/115-120
WOE: lMedi Weight Loss
Start Date: Restart 12/03/13
My daughter calls it "La Crap"...I agree, horrible, I can't even stomach it if I add sweetener.
neneRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I buy it and sweeten it with my liquid stevia. It's cheaper than Zevias or Bkue Sky.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Its just carbonated water, in a can, with some flavor essence added, but no sweetner. I dont think its anything special personally.. but its fine if you want to drink it on lowcarb
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
I love la croix, especially the lime flavor. It got me through giving up sweet tea and diet soda without killing anyone.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Grapefruit is my fav flavor.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I always think of the environmental impact (carbon footprint) of shipping bottled water all around the world--it's staggering when you think about it. I don't say this to criticize anyone, or be preachy, but I remember looking at the shelves at Whole Foods, of all places, loaded with water from Fiji and France and I think there's such a disconnect between their message and what it takes to get WATER on their shelves. If nothing else, we Americans are blessed with safe and convenient water supplies, and many of us can afford to filter it, if we want even further reassurance. So I just can't see buying water any more (I used to!).

We got a Soda Stream as a holiday present. Our fridge already has a built in filter, so we fill the reusable bottles with filtered water and carbonate them with the gadget. Then we add a squirt of real lime, lemon or orange. (DH does like the little tiny bottles of fruit essence Soda Stream sells). I like to think this has a small carbon footprint in comparison with the hundreds of bottles of flavored sparkling water we used to buy at Trader Joe's. And I never trust the words "natural flavorings" on a label--by adding my own fruit (strawberries, too, YUM) I know exactly what goes in it.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: xo ashley
Stats: 155*140* 125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 02/01/2009... Quit in 2011. Back 3/31/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
I always think of the environmental impact (carbon footprint) of shipping bottled water all around the world--it's staggering when you think about it. I don't say this to criticize anyone, or be preachy, but I remember looking at the shelves at Whole Foods, of all places, loaded with water from Fiji and France and I think there's such a disconnect between their message and what it takes to get WATER on their shelves. If nothing else, we Americans are blessed with safe and convenient water supplies, and many of us can afford to filter it, if we want even further reassurance. So I just can't see buying water any more (I used to!).

We got a Soda Stream as a holiday present. Our fridge already has a built in filter, so we fill the reusable bottles with filtered water and carbonate them with the gadget. Then we add a squirt of real lime, lemon or orange. (DH does like the little tiny bottles of fruit essence Soda Stream sells). I like to think this has a small carbon footprint in comparison with the hundreds of bottles of flavored sparkling water we used to buy at Trader Joe's. And I never trust the words "natural flavorings" on a label--by adding my own fruit (strawberries, too, YUM) I know exactly what goes in it.
So ironic/funny.... I got my soda stream as a gift I'd asked for mostly because I wanted sparkling water I could make for less and that would take up less space.

The sparkling water is so much better than LaCroix or Perrier and the diet sodas are sooo good!

Didn't even think of the environmental impact, but I like your points!
xo ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I like my soda stream too. There is a site I like that sells organic essences and flavors . . as soon as I recall the name I'll post it. Tons of choices.

A couple of years ago I took a class to tour a water treatment plant in a city near where I live. In the lab they had been testing a number of bottled waters against the city water supply. Guess what? Yes, you are right the bottled waters, many name brands you would recognize, were of a lesser quality. They were using their microscopes and projecting images for us. Very cool. So just fill up you own bottle out of the tap, assuming you are lucky enough to have good tap water. St. Croix comes in aluminum cans so at least that is recyclable.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post

For the record, La Croix is canned.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

We have well water. Trust me, bottled is better and safer in our case. We get 5 gallon bottles delivered twice a month. The soda stream is tempting, mainly because I'm sick of recycling cans.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Love my soda stream and LaCroix waters. I don't drink the cans at home but take them to work or on the road. Plain water gets boring. I need fizz sometimes and like that it has no colors or sweeteners. Just a touch of flavor. It was an acquired taste though.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
Thanks for reminding me.I need to refill the gas cylinder on my soda stream and get an extra SF syrup
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
I gave up soda a while ago and now drink La Croix water because it helps me kick my soda habit. Its just a flavored carbonated water free of pretty much everything (I like it because there's no artifical sweeteners). My favorite is the coconut flavor
Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
A couple of years ago I took a class to tour a water treatment plant in a city near where I live. In the lab they had been testing a number of bottled waters against the city water supply. Guess what? Yes, you are right the bottled waters, many name brands you would recognize, were of a lesser quality.
Here in Santa Rosa, California there used to be an spring water bottling plant. Their label showed natural streams flowing through mountains. Let me tell you where this bottling plant was there was NO natural source of water--it was in an older, run down business section next to the freeway. I'm quite certain what they were bottling was no other than Santa Rosa City water, and passing it off as something special--we do have great-tasting water, IMHO, but nothing like the label suggested.

They're long gone but I still can't pass that building without thinking of this.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 170/170/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1/4/14
Thanks everyone. I went on their website and found that they sell it at Target. I picked some up and it was just ok - not great - but somewhat satisfies the desire for fizz.
LoveThoseLeopards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
I went from La Croix to Seagrams - the Seagrams has a much better taste IMO -- LOVE it. I kicked my wine habit by drinking the fizzy water.
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Ooh, I haven't tried the Seagrams yet. I have found one at my local indie grocer called Vantage that's lemon-lime seltzer. It's really good and cheaper than LaCroix. Fun retro packaging too.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobbyC
Stats: 236.4/223/199 (First goal 1-derland!)
I love LaCroix!
RobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
I finally tried the coconut and grapefruit flavors. Coconut was wierd to me, but the grapefruit is delish! I'm hooked! Great if you're giving up artificial sweeteners.
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
For the record, La Croix is canned.
Not all of it:
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
Not all of it:
I've never seen it in a bottle before, but if people have issues with "carbon footprints" or whatever the issue is, just buy it in a can
Old 04-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #27
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by neneRN View Post
My daughter calls it "La Crap"...I agree, horrible, I can't even stomach it if I add sweetener.
Same here! It's not sweet at all and tastes nasty to me.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoSugarShell
Stats: 138/128.8/110 5'0
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten free
Start Date: Feb 25, 2013
Love, love, love La Croiux. It helped me kick my soda habit years ago. I buy it by the case at Costco.
NoSugarShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobbyC
Stats: 236.4/223/199 (First goal 1-derland!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugarShell View Post
Love, love, love La Croiux. It helped me kick my soda habit years ago. I buy it by the case at Costco.
OHHHHH, they have it in cases? Good to know!
RobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote