Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   La Croix Water? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/801031-la-croix-water.html)

LoveThoseLeopards 04-02-2013 06:41 AM

La Croix Water?

I'm seeing that a lot of folks are using this? What is it? Is it bottled water? I'm in CT - never heard of it.

LiterateGriffin 04-02-2013 07:10 AM

It seems to be sparkling water flavored with essential oils and calorie/carb/artificial sweetener/sodium free.

Haven't tried it... but I just may, now. (My diet-soda habit's gotten pretty bad again. I need SOMETHING to fight it with.)

Patience 04-02-2013 07:15 AM

I drink this in the summer and have on offer to guests at parties.
It seems pretty harmless. I buy less now that I have bought a water carbonator and flavor my own, but I'll still buy it for when I am traveling or just to have on hand in the frig.

MsWoods 04-02-2013 09:08 AM

Carbonated water in a can. Not sweet. Just flavored with essence I think. I love it. The Cran-Raspberry is my favorite.

relentless 04-02-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveThoseLeopards (Post 16349877)
I'm seeing that a lot of folks are using this? What is it? Is it bottled water? I'm in CT - never heard of it.

I'm from MA and had never heard of it either, till I moved to CA. I haven't tried it yet but I plan to. One of the things I miss is being able to buy flavored (essence) seltzer water in cans. In Boston, we could get store brand or Polar seltzer in a bunch of flavors. I've only been able to find plain here so far.
I've seen some flavors in 1 liter bottles but not 2 liters or cans.

neneRN 04-02-2013 11:02 AM

My daughter calls it "La Crap"...I agree, horrible, I can't even stomach it if I add sweetener.

cfine 04-02-2013 12:11 PM

I buy it and sweeten it with my liquid stevia. It's cheaper than Zevias or Bkue Sky.

Strawberry 04-02-2013 01:15 PM

Its just carbonated water, in a can, with some flavor essence added, but no sweetner. I dont think its anything special personally.. but its fine if you want to drink it on lowcarb

Mrs S 04-02-2013 03:18 PM

I love la croix, especially the lime flavor. It got me through giving up sweet tea and diet soda without killing anyone.

Patience 04-02-2013 04:50 PM

Grapefruit is my fav flavor.

Janknitz 04-02-2013 05:20 PM

I always think of the environmental impact (carbon footprint) of shipping bottled water all around the world--it's staggering when you think about it. I don't say this to criticize anyone, or be preachy, but I remember looking at the shelves at Whole Foods, of all places, loaded with water from Fiji and France and I think there's such a disconnect between their message and what it takes to get WATER on their shelves. If nothing else, we Americans are blessed with safe and convenient water supplies, and many of us can afford to filter it, if we want even further reassurance. So I just can't see buying water any more (I used to!).

We got a Soda Stream as a holiday present. Our fridge already has a built in filter, so we fill the reusable bottles with filtered water and carbonate them with the gadget. Then we add a squirt of real lime, lemon or orange. (DH does like the little tiny bottles of fruit essence Soda Stream sells). I like to think this has a small carbon footprint in comparison with the hundreds of bottles of flavored sparkling water we used to buy at Trader Joe's. And I never trust the words "natural flavorings" on a label--by adding my own fruit (strawberries, too, YUM) I know exactly what goes in it.

xo ashley 04-02-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janknitz (Post 16351172)
I always think of the environmental impact (carbon footprint) of shipping bottled water all around the world--it's staggering when you think about it. I don't say this to criticize anyone, or be preachy, but I remember looking at the shelves at Whole Foods, of all places, loaded with water from Fiji and France and I think there's such a disconnect between their message and what it takes to get WATER on their shelves. If nothing else, we Americans are blessed with safe and convenient water supplies, and many of us can afford to filter it, if we want even further reassurance. So I just can't see buying water any more (I used to!).

We got a Soda Stream as a holiday present. Our fridge already has a built in filter, so we fill the reusable bottles with filtered water and carbonate them with the gadget. Then we add a squirt of real lime, lemon or orange. (DH does like the little tiny bottles of fruit essence Soda Stream sells). I like to think this has a small carbon footprint in comparison with the hundreds of bottles of flavored sparkling water we used to buy at Trader Joe's. And I never trust the words "natural flavorings" on a label--by adding my own fruit (strawberries, too, YUM) I know exactly what goes in it.

So ironic/funny.... I got my soda stream as a gift I'd asked for mostly because I wanted sparkling water I could make for less and that would take up less space.

The sparkling water is so much better than LaCroix or Perrier and the diet sodas are sooo good!

Didn't even think of the environmental impact, but I like your points!

Patience 04-02-2013 06:25 PM

I like my soda stream too. There is a site I like that sells organic essences and flavors . . as soon as I recall the name I'll post it. Tons of choices.

A couple of years ago I took a class to tour a water treatment plant in a city near where I live. In the lab they had been testing a number of bottled waters against the city water supply. Guess what? Yes, you are right the bottled waters, many name brands you would recognize, were of a lesser quality. They were using their microscopes and projecting images for us. Very cool. So just fill up you own bottle out of the tap, assuming you are lucky enough to have good tap water. St. Croix comes in aluminum cans so at least that is recyclable.

MsWoods 04-02-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janknitz (Post 16351172)

For the record, La Croix is canned.

Mrs S 04-02-2013 07:05 PM

We have well water. Trust me, bottled is better and safer in our case. We get 5 gallon bottles delivered twice a month. The soda stream is tempting, mainly because I'm sick of recycling cans.

Speck333 04-02-2013 07:10 PM

Love my soda stream and LaCroix waters. I don't drink the cans at home but take them to work or on the road. Plain water gets boring. I need fizz sometimes and like that it has no colors or sweeteners. Just a touch of flavor. It was an acquired taste though.

kiwistars 04-02-2013 07:12 PM

Thanks for reminding me.I need to refill the gas cylinder on my soda stream and get an extra SF syrup :)

Mad4Chillas 04-02-2013 07:13 PM

I gave up soda a while ago and now drink La Croix water because it helps me kick my soda habit. Its just a flavored carbonated water free of pretty much everything (I like it because there's no artifical sweeteners). My favorite is the coconut flavor :yummy:

Janknitz 04-03-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

A couple of years ago I took a class to tour a water treatment plant in a city near where I live. In the lab they had been testing a number of bottled waters against the city water supply. Guess what? Yes, you are right the bottled waters, many name brands you would recognize, were of a lesser quality.
Here in Santa Rosa, California there used to be an spring water bottling plant. Their label showed natural streams flowing through mountains. Let me tell you where this bottling plant was there was NO natural source of water--it was in an older, run down business section next to the freeway. I'm quite certain what they were bottling was no other than Santa Rosa City water, and passing it off as something special--we do have great-tasting water, IMHO, but nothing like the label suggested.

They're long gone but I still can't pass that building without thinking of this.

LoveThoseLeopards 04-04-2013 07:44 AM

Thanks everyone. I went on their website and found that they sell it at Target. I picked some up and it was just ok - not great - but somewhat satisfies the desire for fizz.

cabrioluvr 04-04-2013 07:50 AM

I went from La Croix to Seagrams - the Seagrams has a much better taste IMO -- LOVE it. I kicked my wine habit by drinking the fizzy water.

Mrs S 04-04-2013 04:23 PM

Ooh, I haven't tried the Seagrams yet. I have found one at my local indie grocer called Vantage that's lemon-lime seltzer. It's really good and cheaper than LaCroix. Fun retro packaging too.

RobbyC 04-17-2013 09:46 AM

I love LaCroix!

Bobbin 04-17-2013 09:49 AM

I finally tried the coconut and grapefruit flavors. Coconut was wierd to me, but the grapefruit is delish! I'm hooked! Great if you're giving up artificial sweeteners.

Pami 04-17-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 16351388)
For the record, La Croix is canned.

Not all of it:
http://www.groceryrunner911.com/prod...52591_zoom.jpg

MsWoods 04-17-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pami (Post 16378834)

I've never seen it in a bottle before, but if people have issues with "carbon footprints" or whatever the issue is, just buy it in a can:dunno:

pocahontas 04-17-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neneRN (Post 16350511)
My daughter calls it "La Crap"...I agree, horrible, I can't even stomach it if I add sweetener.

Same here! It's not sweet at all and tastes nasty to me. :sick:

NoSugarShell 04-17-2013 01:12 PM

Love, love, love La Croiux. It helped me kick my soda habit years ago. I buy it by the case at Costco. :)

RobbyC 04-18-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSugarShell (Post 16379226)
Love, love, love La Croiux. It helped me kick my soda habit years ago. I buy it by the case at Costco. :)

OHHHHH, they have it in cases? Good to know!