Old 04-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I have a close colleague about my age (far side of middle) who has lost a lot of weight on a vegan diet and is always trashing atkins-like approaches. I feel she is really judging my plate when we eat together. Yeah that's probably my misperception, but I tire a bit of her conclusion that it's her way or the highway. Sort of a judgmental self righteousness . . . yes I am probably projecting.
I know what you mean! It's kind of difficult to tell where some people are coming from. Some people are so excited about what they're doing that they want to share it, but they really aren't *judging* anybody else. But some people become so convinced that what they're doing is the *only way* to live, they end up judging everybody else. Sometimes it's impossible to tell which side of that line people are on.

My dad has a frenemy that even other vegans can't stand because he *sounds* so JUDGMENTAL. This guy is a life-extensionist, raw, vegan, calorie-restricted, optimal nutritionist. I swear, everything out of this dude's mouth is about how everybody is doing things wrong if they're not doing things his way. This guy lives in my parents' neighborhood and he doesn't drive -- because he doesn't believe in cars -- so my dad often carpools him and a bunch of other non-car, local vegans to events in the suburbs. I've been at my parents' house when the vegans were heading out for an event and, while this guy was talking, all of the other vegans were rolling their eyes and looking like they just wanted to strangle that guy.

I've been cornered into long conversations with him because the vegans all avoid this guy, so he's told me a bit about his background. He has a really bad family history of chronic lifestyle diseases and, from what he's told me, he lives this really strict lifestyle as a way of trying to avoid the fates that the rest of his family has suffered from. I guess he's in his 50s (or maybe early 60s) and he has a younger brother who died and two other siblings who are on tons of daily medicine. And his parents died relatively young. So this guy is super proud of being healthy and unmedicated, which I totally respect, but he's such a complete turd about it, it's still super annoying listening to him talk. *What* he's saying isn't really the problem -- most of the vegans actually agree with him -- it's just that the *way* he says it sounds more like a condemnation of other people rather than a celebration of his own accomplishments.

I love talking with people and hearing about ways they have improved their lives, especially older people who have a lot experience and wisdom. But once it turns into preaching, I'm done. I'm just not interested in someone who's trying to convert me to their religion.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
This guy lives in my parents' neighborhood and he doesn't drive -- because he doesn't believe in cars -- so my dad often carpools him and a bunch of other non-car, local vegans to events in the suburbs.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Yup, I meet a lot of interesting characters. I'm just grateful my parents weren't nudists...
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
lol
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistars View Post
I wish sometimes I was 'food as fuel'.I wouldn't be fat.Then the smell of dinner starts wafting out of the oven and I know that's not happening
I am totally like this and I have been overweight. The problem was health...in the past, whenever I felt stressed/tired/etc I would eat more fuel. That perked me up. But during very stressful periods of life and lack of "conscious eating" (I LOVE that!!)...I gained weight.

I have been trying to perk up my taste buds but I still struggle with the concept that food is an experience...

Fantastic thread!
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Yup, I meet a lot of interesting characters. I'm just grateful my parents weren't nudists...
Yes, you are lucky. . . just sayin'
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote