Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Calorie requirement seems low... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800944-calorie-requirement-seems-low.html)

doxielove 04-01-2013 12:32 PM

Calorie requirement seems low...

I just read on a medical website that a female of my age (51) who is sedentary requires 1100 calories to lose ONE pound a week - maybe I just don't know but is that right? I need to start counting calories because I'm not losing very well and don't want to slow my (already slow) metabolism.

abby! 04-01-2013 12:53 PM

How many do you eat to stay the same without losing? If you're thinking calories in and calories out strictly (although we all know the story is more complicated than that), a pound is 3500 calories so you would need a deficit of that much a week to lose a pound. So you would need to deduct 500 calories a day from what you were eating just to stay the same (500 calories times 7 days makes 3500). It works to think of it this way but it is not easy to do. Sounds right if you were needing 1600 to stay the same weight.

rose1 04-01-2013 01:36 PM

Unfortunately, it sounds about right to me. :sad:

raindroproses 04-01-2013 02:16 PM

With the formula I've seen I'm getting you between 1100-1400 for your goal weight. That really depends on how sedentary you are, so if you're completely sedentary closer to 1100 is more accurate according to that.

That being said, keep in mind that many LC plans aren't so calorie centric and many continue to lose despite eating more calories than is recommended by those formulas... a good example is NK. Granted you can't eat ALL you want calorie-wise and expect to lose, but it definitely is more forgiving assuming a good amount of your calories come from fat! I'm not sure what (if any) plan you follow though, and YMMV :)

floridagirl6 04-01-2013 02:58 PM

Sounds about right to me. (unfortunately)

Punkin 04-01-2013 04:43 PM

For one pound a week I would say that sounds about right. I don't know how realistic it is though, its pretty close to the level where your metabolism might drop to match a lowered calorie requirement. If you have a lot of weight to lose you might be ok. You'll know because you'll stall over a few weeks and you will start feeling cold and lethargic for no reason. That is your metabolism dropping due to calories being too low.

Strawberry 04-01-2013 05:45 PM

Unfortunately, that sounds about right to me (as in about right FOR me) as well.

Leo41 04-02-2013 06:28 AM

Just a clarification about 'metabolism.'

Any weight loss requires a caloric deficit, and a person's metabolism will naturally slow in response to that deficit. But ALL studies show that it's a very slight change that doesn't impede weight loss.

After all, how would WLS patients or anorexics lose weight if their metabolism slowed significantly in response to the very few calories they typically eat?

I am post-menopausal (slower metabolism) and hypothyroid (slower metabolism), and have to eat very low calorie to lose because of what my endo describes as a 'genetically slow metabolism.

Despite all this, I've lost close to 200 lbs and maintained that loss for 2 years and counting. My advice is to try to not 'overthink' all this. Find a caloric level at which you can lose, and just do it.

dianda 04-02-2013 07:04 AM

Which website is it?

GAVIV 04-02-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 16349729)
Just a clarification about 'metabolism.'

Any weight loss requires a caloric deficit, and a person's metabolism will naturally slow in response to that deficit. But ALL studies show that it's a very slight change that doesn't impede weight loss.

After all, how would WLS patients or anorexics lose weight if their metabolism slowed significantly in response to the very few calories they typically eat?

I am post-menopausal (slower metabolism) and hypothyroid (slower metabolism), and have to eat very low calorie to lose because of what my endo describes as a 'genetically slow metabolism.

Despite all this, I've lost close to 200 lbs and maintained that loss for 2 years and counting. My advice is to try to not 'overthink' all this. Find a caloric level at which you can lose, and just do it.

:goodpost:

doxielove 04-02-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianda (Post 16349796)
Which website is it?

WebMD. Thanks for all the input - I really appreciate it!