Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: N7femshep
Stats: 250/245/150
WOE: 40 carbs a day
I found this thread interesting because being in the 240s I have to wear size 26 (jeans that are 24 or lower are too tight around the midsection), and I hear that other people in my weight range have to wear only 18s. I think it has a lot to do with my droopy c-section belly pooch, because I can wear loose dresses that are much smaller than 26.

Also, congrats! You look great!
N7femshep is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #32

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by N7femshep View Post
I found this thread interesting because being in the 240s I have to wear size 26 (jeans that are 24 or lower are too tight around the midsection), and I hear that other people in my weight range have to wear only 18s. I think it has a lot to do with my droopy c-section belly pooch, because I can wear loose dresses that are much smaller than 26.

Also, congrats! You look great!
Well, a Lane Bryant "18" is about 2 sizes bigger than a "straight" size 18. So if you are wearing a brand which goes from 0 to 32 or whatever, your size 26 might be a LB size 20/22
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
Isn't the Lane Bryant line the "W" sizes in other stores? For example, at JC Penney they have an 18W which is the same as an 18 at Lane Bryant. At least that's what it seems to be IMO.
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #34

my experience was that LB was at least half a size larger than the target, walmart etc "W" sizes.... when I was losing weight, I was in size "16" for a very long time... I was in LB and Torrid 14/16 before I got brave and ventured out.... I wore the 16Ws while I was in 14s from LB... and then finally when I was a straight 16 those were quite a bit smaller than LB 16s. I remember holding up LB 16, 16W from Target, and straight 16, the LB 16 was biggest.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesslynne
Stats: 240/230/140 (51, 5'4", small frame)
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 11/30/13
I tried on some jeans at Kohl's the other day, and at 190+ the 14 fit, but didn't look good enough to buy. Truth is, jeans don't look good on me this heavy, no matter the cut.

When I was going down in weight a couple of years ago, I was wearing boot cut from Target.

170lbs - size 10
160lbs - size 8
155lbs - size 6
145lbs - size 4

granted, I have a very small frame, and narrow hips for my height, and a short waist. Don't know if that makes any difference.

I still have the 6's and the 4's, so we'll see if the same holds true this time around. Unfortunately, they've changed their jeans styling, so the "new" 8 is like the 6 from before. I have new 8's and 6's, so that will also be an interesting test.

As you can see, I'm all stocked up on jeans!! LOL! Now, just to get back in 'em!!

<<<avi taken a few weeks before my 50th birthday at 165lbs!!
goddesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
Quote:
my experience was that LB was at least half a size larger than the target, walmart etc "W" sizes.... when I was losing weight, I was in size "16" for a very long time... I was in LB and Torrid 14/16 before I got brave and ventured out.... I wore the 16Ws while I was in 14s from LB... and then finally when I was a straight 16 those were quite a bit smaller than LB 16s. I remember holding up LB 16, 16W from Target, and straight 16, the LB 16 was biggest.
Jeez, vanity sized plus-sizes!
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaarren
Stats: 204/191/150
Start Date: 8-22-08
Apple Here

It sucks having a mid fat (saggy) middle///////////////!
Kaarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Well, a Lane Bryant "18" is about 2 sizes bigger than a "straight" size 18. So if you are wearing a brand which goes from 0 to 32 or whatever, your size 26 might be a LB size 20/22
I noticed that too. The smallest size of Right Fit jeans at LB are too baggy on me now, but I wear a size 16 in Lee jeans. It's kind of annoying that LB tries to appeal to vanity sizing.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover View Post
Jeez, vanity sized plus-sizes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
I noticed that too. The smallest size of Right Fit jeans at LB are too baggy on me now, but I wear a size 16 in Lee jeans. It's kind of annoying that LB tries to appeal to vanity sizing.
Yup, Igigi and Torrid do it, too... They both carry a size 12 which are MUCH too big for me, yet my size 12 Levi's are tight. I have a size 16 Chinese-made pair of pants which are smaller than my size 12 skinny jeans from Torrid.

It's actually a shame, I wish that Torrid would carry regular size 12, I LOVE LOVE LOVE their clothes!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
Mind you those imported chinese clothes are always tiny whatever country you live in as they are based on the boyish asian build and sized accordingly.
I am a med-large in brand label underwear here but if I buy from a Chinese import store I am an XL to 2XL and those are usually tight.(It isn't me, even big I am a hipless wonder with no booty)
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistars View Post
Mind you those imported chinese clothes are always tiny whatever country you live in as they are based on the boyish asian build and sized accordingly.
I am a med-large in brand label underwear here but if I buy from a Chinese import store I am an XL to 2XL and those are usually tight.(It isn't me, even big I am a hipless wonder with no booty)
LOL ya my first Chinese-made corset was a big shocker.... I was still losing weight and was a "2X" in clothes here, so I ordered a 2X.... I could not wear it until I was a size "L" here. lol
Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
I bought a whole bunch of 16C bra and knicker sets that were so beautiful.I had to give them away to my size 8 daughter.They fitted her perfectly.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
It's actually a shame, I wish that Torrid would carry regular size 12, I LOVE LOVE LOVE their clothes!!!
I totally agree! Torrid is a "plus size" ladies' shop, but I feel like they're really a "womanly shape" shop. Their clothes are cut to accommodate hips and I don't think comparably-priced clothes do a good job of that. For example, why are Old Navy skirts kind of straight from waist to hips? Is it just me? Has anyone else noticed their shape? Not totally straight, but definitely not accommodating for hips (and rear end).

Torrid's skirts and pants fit better -- I would honestly want them in any size. One of my good girlfriends (who has never been heavy) told me that H&M was a "mainstream size" trendy Torrid-like shop -- not true! Another good girlfriend (who has also never been heavy) recommended The Limited and Express. Nope, no hips. It seems like many (most) trendy clothing lines don't make pants and skirts that accommodate hips unless they are making them for a larger woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistars View Post
I thought maybe I can help you.You said this about your bust?
"so they don't seem to be as *full* even though I'm still the same cup size, although at a smaller band size."
My friend who is a trained corseteer (and this has been backed up by others) told me that if you go down a band you go up a cup if the mass stays the same.
If your breasts had stayed the same size when you went down a band say 36 to 34 your breasts would go up say D to DD but if you went down a band and they had gotten smaller to match you would keep the D cup size.
It isn't gravity or lack of support ,you have by the sound of it, dropped a cup size.More of your all over weight loss I'm guessing?
Thanks for the info, Kiwi! I had no idea. I *knew* my breasts were less full, but I was the same cup size so it didn't occur to me that the cup size would scale proportionally down with the band size. It makes sense now that you've explained it, but I had no idea.

I'm glad I have more bra options in my current, smaller band size, though. I feel like the smaller band size bras that I'm currently wearing do a better job of lifting and separating without an uncomfortable amount of extra fabric. So I'm really happy with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishyLish68 View Post
I`m 5 ft 5" and am currently in the low 140`s at a size 8, I was at a size 10 in the low 150`s. I`m assuming that if by some miracle I could reach 135-138 or so I could probably do a comfortable size 6. I carry most of my weight in my lower half and I find that with pants I have to get the right style to fit my hips properly. When I was just shy of 235 I wore a 20/22 pant. I recently had a bra fitting and was rather surprised...when I was at my largest I wore a 38C/D and very ill fitting. Now apparently I`m a 32DD... I`m still laughing over the DD part.
I must be REALLY difficult to find great bras in 32DD! I've found some great bras in 36DD but, when I look (out of curiosity) at what they have to offer in the smaller band sizes, the styles are somewhat limited in the larger cup sizes. It seems like manufacturers don't expect you to be wearing a larger cup size when you're a smaller band size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolciani View Post
It took me months and months to get one size down in jeans, at around 25 pounds lost. Today at almost 40 pounds down I've managed to squeeze into one size smaller than that. Black jeans - very forgiving! Smaller bras, 1/2 size smaller shoes, but it's so slow. I SO need to learn patience!
I know EXACTLY what you mean. When I first got into the size 14s -- one size down from my start -- I had lost 28.5 pounds and it still felt frustrating to me. I was, like, if almost 30 pounds isn't a *big* difference then I'm doomed! I wasn't expecting to be *ideal* at that point, but I expected to be *changed*. All of those Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers ads where Jennifer Hudson or Valerie Bertinelli lose 25 pounds and look like a completely different person really messed with my perception.

I believe you'll get to where you want to be sooner than you think, though. 40 pounds is A LOT! It's like halfway to your goal and it's only been a few months, so far. Day-to-day, it feels like eternity. Believe me, I understand that. But you've already changed so much and by the time the weather is hot, I think you'll have a different body than you have now, based on how far you've already progressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommy View Post
It makes me wish i'd kept a pair of my old size 16 old navys to try on! I'm 150 (152 for some reason today ) and I can wear the size 6 old navy jeans I had bought Months ago at the Goodwill! They are finally comfortable instead of "second skin" tight! I'm happy with a size 6 But I will admit I was wishing I had a size 4 the other day to try on to see how much further i'd need to go to be able to wear them Lol!
I know you've been a bit annoyed with the scale, Shelley, because you've been maintaining your scale weight for a little while longer than you would like. But I follow the Challenge thread and you have continued to lose clothing sizes while staying at kind of the same scale weight. So I feel like you don't even need the scale because, if I remember correctly, you've lost two clothing sizes with less than 10 pounds of change on the scale. I know that the grass is always greener in someone else's yard, but I feel like I would be ecstatic to have the body recomposition changes that you've experienced without a big drop on the scale.

Regardless of what the scale says, I feel like whatever you're doing is working well for you. But that's just my observation as an outsider...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
You look awesome, Tril! And I'm the same way - slow to lose clothing sizes, but the actual physical changes are quite massive and cumulative, just over my whole body and not a singular trouble spot
It's good to see you, Arctic Mama! I just adore your posts. I'm sure you're busy with the family, but I totally miss you!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: monees lc
Stats: 187./170/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: March 2008
You are doing fabulous and such an inspiration. Keep up the "great" work and continue to post those milestones for those of us who trail behind you.
monees lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Trillex,

Thank you so much for posting this---as a matter of fact, thank you for all the detailed info you share, I have learned a lot from your posts.

These pictures are all about what the scale can't tell you. Even if you know you've lost 10,20,30 or more pounds, what does that mean to how we look and feel? Nada. But when you step into those buckets of pant, and see yourself swimming in them, now that has got to feel great, and it sure as heck looks great.

congrats, Trillex. And I agree with some other poster above---you definitely could have a career in the health industry if you wanted it, whether that means trainer or nutritionist---God knows, we could use a few more of those who "get it," or whatever. You obviously have a great head for science and figuring things out, seems like it's fun for you, and that's the best way to work---doing what we love.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #46
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
Start Date: 7/12/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I must be REALLY difficult to find great bras in 32DD! I've found some great bras in 36DD but, when I look (out of curiosity) at what they have to offer in the smaller band sizes, the styles are somewhat limited in the larger cup sizes. It seems like manufacturers don't expect you to be wearing a larger cup size when you're a smaller band size.
The large cup sizes are really hard to find in the smaller band sizes. Had to go bra shopping this weekend as my 34G was suddenly too big and it was nearly impossible to find anything that I didn't hate for one reason or another. I understood though. I had gone from a 34G (34DDDD) to a 32H (32DDDDD). Thankfully the young lady helping me was very very understanding and spent two hours with me helping me find ONE. We had found a two others that I liked and would have ordered if they were made in my size.
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote