Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   raindroproses (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800775-raindroproses.html)

SchoolPsych1979 03-31-2013 11:03 AM

raindroproses

I hope you don't mind me messaging you on here! I tried sending you a message but can't. I'm going to ask you a couple questions and maybe it will answer it for others too!
I notice you are a size 6 at about 160. To me that is incredible. My goal is 140, 145 and a size 7/8. Being that we're the same height, I'm wondering if I should higher my goal weight?What kind of body frame do you have?

I am also super impressed by your stats. I didn't lose as much as I anticipated last week. I am eating sugar free jello, half Atkins bar, shakes and diet coke. Are you eating/drinking artificial stuff, and which ones?
I started at a higher weight. I should be pretty much melting.

Thanks for reading. Your responses are awesome and I hope your answers will help others.
Cheers

SchoolPsych1979 03-31-2013 11:21 AM

...if anyone else has input I'd appreciate it as well!

creseis 03-31-2013 11:28 AM

I'm about 5'5 and currently weigh about 152 and am a size 6. The last time I was a size 6 I weighed 135lbs. I am now fitting into the exact clothes I wore way back then because they were pretty new and I kept them in high hopes of wearing them again and they are nice clothes :D

When I was at my largest size, I weighed 165lbs. When I weighed 175lbs I was a size smaller than at 165lbs a few years before. The major difference is that I started cycling a lot and working out a lot more. When I weighed 135, I was 22 years old and I didn't work out as much, although I always have been into exercise and sports, now I am just on a really rigid training program.

The women who race internationally and are about my height weigh about 135lbs and are about a size 4 or less.

rndiane 03-31-2013 11:35 AM

Back in the 70s I weighed 130ish and wore a size 10-12. I'm 5'6" and large boned. My wrist size is 7 3/4 to 8. 10 years ago I weighed 160 and wore size 10-12. It is all about vanity resizing from the clothing industry also manufacturers differ. Liz Claiborne clothes are larger for the size and I've found that Armani are smaller.

creseis 03-31-2013 11:40 AM

I will never fit into Levis. All of the Levis I have ever tried on require NO BUTT. Since I have a butt, even a size 12-14 doesn't fit. Love my Carharts tho!

baileygirl3 03-31-2013 11:57 AM

OMG!!! You guys are doing great! I am 140 5'5 had 3 kids work out all the time and in a size 10 or 8, I do not wear a lot of stretch though. What brand do you wear??? I need to try that brand lol! I wear Express Jeans no stretch and Old Navy dress pants/capris. Now I am feeling bad!

SchoolPsych1979 03-31-2013 12:56 PM

Wow. So I guess a lot of it has to do with if you work out or not! I'll re adjust my goals as I lose weight! Buy thanks for the discussion. Much to think about!

creseis 03-31-2013 01:10 PM

The Eades recommend readjusting your goal weight whenever you notice your body changing because as you gain muscle, your goal weight should go up.

SchoolPsych1979 03-31-2013 01:15 PM

Note taken! The smallest I have been was 150 and I size 9/10. I am hour glass shaped with a dd cup. I admit I looked good but flabby! Hopefully this time at 150 and toned I can be a 7/8, or 140 as a 5/6. Omg I'm getting excited lol

raindroproses 03-31-2013 02:04 PM

Wow! I was shocked to see my name on here :laugh: Sorry for the delay, I haven't gotten any sleep today so I've been kind of wandering around like a zombie or something. I'm really surprised you couldn't send me a message on here though... that's strange, I wonder why!

That being said ummm... I'm not sure what body type I'd be considered, LOL. I carry a lot of my weight still around the midsection, and I agree that a lot of it is the vanity sizing nowadays. If these were jeans from 20 years ago or something I'd never be able to fit into size 6's :laugh: There are certain styles of jeans too or different brands that just won't work for me too. I tend to stick to the same couple brands if I can because they fit my particular shape best (I have that bizarre gap in the back of the pants problem, if anyone knows what I'm talking about :annoyed:)

I'm guessing I'm kind of hourglass with a bit of a pot belly? :laugh: I have pictures on here if you haven't seen them... I think you'd see one of them by clicking on my name on the side bar. My chest is currently a 34DDD. I used to be 38DD but I guess as the band size goes down the cup size has to go up if you don't shrink? I had no idea! LOL

But umm... I don't really exercise so that's not what's doing it :laugh: A lot of it has to do with someone's individual metabolism I think as far as losing weight goes, and whether or not you fit into a certain size has to do with where you carry a majority of your body fat. I'm sure exercise couldn't hurt, but I can tell you I've done next to none of that. Maybe a 20 minute walk here or there, but that's about it :)

As far as the foods... you might be being stalled by those Atkins products and/or SF Jello! I found that I stalled out with both, and they kicked me out of ketosis entirely. A lot of people have issues with the Atkins products so I'd definitely try and cut out a lot of the "fake" foods if you can. I also avoid SF Jello because I avoid Aspartame. It seems like that AS causes me issues too, as well as a lot of people. With the Atkins products I think it's the Frankenfood quality of them along with the malitol that really messes people up :annoyed:

For sweeteners, I try to stick entirely to splenda, xylitol, or sucralose. I try to avoid excess sucralose whenever possible though because I think it might have an effect on me, albeit much smaller... but I do have a bit of SF Torani in my bulletproof teas in the morning and night :) Splenda I use lots of during the day... 5-6 drops in each of my ACV tonics I drink.

Also, keep in mind that I didn't start at 203 on January 25th! That was just my heaviest weight... I started LC when I was around 180 pounds, so it's really not terribly impressive. I'm battling a thyroid problem as well, and PCOS so also be sure that there's no medical condition that could be slowing your progress. But my best advice would be to cut out the "fake" foods as much as possible, and really take a look at your totals for the day as far as what you're eating! I was eating too much protein for my body weight before, and that stalled me out... that's how I wound up on the NK board actually :)

I try to stay between 60-70g of protein now a day for my weight, under 20 TOTAL carbs, and usually above 1500 calories. Lots and lots of fat :) That's what's really been working for me lately... that and watching my sodium, but YMMV there because I know a lot of people actually need EXTRA while LC-ing. I need under 2000mg a day or I'll retain water like crazy! :annoyed:

If you have any other questions, definitely feel free to ask! I'm not sure why you can't message me, but if you figure it out I'd be happy to hear from you any time! I'm not sure if I can help any, but sometimes it's just nice to have someone to bounce ideas off and stuff like that :hugs:

raindroproses 03-31-2013 02:13 PM

Also? You haven't been at it long yet, so try not to be discouraged! You're doing GREAT for such a short period of time honestly, so KUTGW! :jumpjoy:

I think sometimes when our bodies are used to being at a higher weight (especially while eating carbs!) our metabolisms suffer and become sluggish. Some of ours pick up quicker than others, and some of us take a little bit more time. It's definitely possible that since you're just starting out, you lost that initial water weight and it'll take a little bit of time on LC for your body to sort of wake up and kick start your metabolism a bit :)

That being said though, I know a lot of people struggle with those Atkins products (myself included!) and it definitely wouldn't hurt to experiment with cutting those out! A lot of people are really sensitive to artificial sweeteners as well, and their body produces an insulin response to them similar to the way they would if it was real sugar... something about anything registering as "sweet" triggering it in certain people. I'm insulin resistant thanks to my PCOS so I know that's what I was experiencing with aspartame and malitol!

I wouldn't say cut them out entirely, but if you can cut down a little on the AS and cut out the Atkins products you might see an improvement... try a different sweetener than what you've been using if you'd like to try something new. But most of all, try not to be discouraged! Gaining weight takes time, so losing it takes time too... it's a long journey to be sure, but what I love about this place is there's SO many people going through the same things as we are. You're definitely never alone, and if you ever need help at all or some advice or even just a cheerleader to help cheer you on you know where to find me :hugs:

SchoolPsych1979 03-31-2013 02:55 PM

Thank you! You're so kind. I'm addicted to diet coke and I told myself can still have them. I will cut down to two a day and cut out the bars and shakes!
Thank you for putting things I'm perspective as well. I am by nature an impatient person and everything in life I wanted and I got. And this thing.... has taken me years to get my head on straight and now that I'm finally "getting it" I want it now!

I'll try to message you again? Maybe I did something wrong earlier.

Thanks for your detailed response!

Maryposa 03-31-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creseis (Post 16346237)
I will never fit into Levis. All of the Levis I have ever tried on require NO BUTT. Since I have a butt, even a size 12-14 doesn't fit. Love my Carharts tho!

Oh my gosh, this makes me feel SO much better. I have a size 12 pair of levi's in the closet that just plain don't fit! I bought them at Costco thinking even if they ran small, it'd be alright if I do lose a few more lbs. I have a curvy shape and they came no where near fitting, while my size 12 "curvy skinny" jeans in another brand fit perfectly. ... And Gloria Vanderbilts are too big.

Maryposa 03-31-2013 03:12 PM

SchoolPsych1979, when I started hard core working out, I gained TWENTY FIVE pounds in 6 months while my size remained the same. I was doing aerial silks (which requires a great deal of upper body strength), kettle bell, circus pole, poi (fire spinning), hula hoop, belly dance, cabaret, ballet barre, etc etc etc

SchoolPsych1979 03-31-2013 03:21 PM

Maryposa, I am near Orange County! Your face had transformed! You're so cute!
Yes I am now realizing working out may make a huge difference.

kiwistars 03-31-2013 03:24 PM

wow Maryposa that sounds like the most amazing fun!!I wish we had something like that here.I would be so fit :)

Maryposa 03-31-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwistars (Post 16346557)
wow Maryposa that sounds like the most amazing fun!!I wish we had something like that here.I would be so fit :)

It is!!! I hate running, and I hate gyms... but I love being active. I love being outdoors (biking, walking or hiking somewhere pretty) and I love dance. Some of this other stuff is just plain PLAYING, like I did when I was a kid, not like "working out" lol

Some of these things are gaining in popularity... you should check it out! Or, you can even buy some poi or a hula hoop online and learn from youtube!

My prop of the month is fan veils.

Maryposa 03-31-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16346553)
Maryposa, I am near Orange County! Your face had transformed! You're so cute!
Yes I am now realizing working out may make a huge difference.

:hiya: neighbor!

raindroproses 03-31-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16346521)
Thank you! You're so kind. I'm addicted to diet coke and I told myself can still have them. I will cut down to two a day and cut out the bars and shakes!
Thank you for putting things I'm perspective as well. I am by nature an impatient person and everything in life I wanted and I got. And this thing.... has taken me years to get my head on straight and now that I'm finally "getting it" I want it now!

I'll try to message you again? Maybe I did something wrong earlier.

Thanks for your detailed response!

Awww you're welcome, I'm just happy to help :) I sent you a friend request btw so maybe that'll help with the messaging thing? Although I've never messaged anyone on here before so I'll admit I don't know how it's done exactly either beyond just clicking the private message button :laugh:

Just cutting out the bars and shakes should definitely help a lot! If you can cut down the diet sodas to two a day, that'd be good too. I know they cause a lot of people trouble so I try to only drink diet sodas as a treat on occasion and usually with HWC in it as a float so the fat kind of lessens the potential insulin spike I'd get from it in case my body decides to register the AS as sugar :)

I definitely know what you mean about wanting it now though, I've ALWAYS been like that! It drives me nuts sometimes knowing how long I'll have to wait to see certain things in my life come to pass... but when something is worth it, it's worth that wait for sure! That's what I keep telling myself when I don't see any weight loss for a while, or when the scale bounces up a little. It's worth it to me, not just for the weight loss but for my health too! When you start noticing the health benefits and how much better you feel on LC... trust me, the wait becomes easier :hugs:

If you can't get the message thing under control and you ever want to find me by the way, feel free to chat me up on my journal :)

Here's a link to it if you'd like:
Raindrops On Roses - My Journey In Pictures And Words

creseis 03-31-2013 06:00 PM

There is a dance studio near me that has a silks class. People who do it love it and I have always wanted to go, but never have the time :(

SchoolPsych1979 03-31-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16346681)
Awww you're welcome, I'm just happy to help :) I sent you a friend request btw so maybe that'll help with the messaging thing? Although I've never messaged anyone on here before so I'll admit I don't know how it's done exactly either beyond just clicking the private message button :laugh:

Just cutting out the bars and shakes should definitely help a lot! If you can cut down the diet sodas to two a day, that'd be good too. I know they cause a lot of people trouble so I try to only drink diet sodas as a treat on occasion and usually with HWC in it as a float so the fat kind of lessens the potential insulin spike I'd get from it in case my body decides to register the AS as sugar :)

I definitely know what you mean about wanting it now though, I've ALWAYS been like that! It drives me nuts sometimes knowing how long I'll have to wait to see certain things in my life come to pass... but when something is worth it, it's worth that wait for sure! That's what I keep telling myself when I don't see any weight loss for a while, or when the scale bounces up a little. It's worth it to me, not just for the weight loss but for my health too! When you start noticing the health benefits and how much better you feel on LC... trust me, the wait becomes easier :hugs:

If you can't get the message thing under control and you ever want to find me by the way, feel free to chat me up on my journal :)

Here's a link to it if you'd like:
Raindrops On Roses - My Journey In Pictures And Words

Thank you! I accepted your friend request so maybe I can start messaging you. But again thanks for your words of encouragement and helping me be patient!

Maryposa 03-31-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16346801)
Thank you! I accepted your friend request so maybe I can start messaging you. But again thanks for your words of encouragement and helping me be patient!

I just noticed that you are still fairly new... you may not yet have enough posts and days on the site to have PM access yet. Let me check....