LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Farm Fresh Eggs Question....

I had farm fresh eggs in a local restaurant lately and should have asked them where they bought them from...they were amazing!

There is a local farm that sells eggs to a few local stores that raises pasture raised, hormone free eggs. On their website, it says that even though they are pasture raised they are fed a diet of purina corn something or another that grass alone is not enough nutrition. Purina? Really? Somehow that just doesn't sound too healthy to me.....and corn? Like most low carbwrs, I don't eat corn....would these eggs be a bad choice.

I'm looking for farm fresh for 3 reasons....humane, health and flavor.

Mrieze
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yuck.

I always look for pasture-raised, non-vegetarian eggs, but they're hard to find for a price I can afford.

Chickens aren't vegetarians, and egg companies market eggs from vegetarian-fed chickens as if that was a good thing. It's not, and the eggs taste more anemic.

FYI: Purina makes the food for farmed salmon too. I avoid farmed salmon and other fish for that reason.

Last edited by Ntombi; 03-30-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Hi Ntombi! The website said because their chickens probably eat bugs on their land they cannot be considered vegetarian. What should I be looking for?
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/179.0/140
Start Date: 11.1.13
I raise chickens so I know a bit. I've only had them for nine months. The thing is, it is a rare situation for chickens to get enough food just from foraging. My chickens have free access to grass, earthworms, bugs and nibbles from my garden for most of the day, but I still give them soy-free non-gmo organic scratch and peck feed. I fill their feeder once in the morning and once in the evening; probably a 1/2 cup each time per bird.

There are grains in the feed: whole wheat, whole triticale, peas, a few other grains/legumes, and added grit and calcium.

Chickens are omnivores; so some grain in moderation is fine in their diets.

I'll say though: they are so much fun to watch when I give them our leftover meats. One will grab some and go running off with it in her beak, the others will chase her and try to take it from her. Its mayhem when there's meat out there!

But their preferred food by far is earthworms! Thank goodness they make such wonderful compost, they help make their own food.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yeah, some of everything is fine for eggs, I was just saying a vegetarian diet isn't the bonus the marketers pretend it is.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
The only vegetarian eggs I ever tried, tasted like amonia.(sp)

I have chickens, they get generic peck and lay feed which contains grains and grit, plus scraps and whatever they scratch off the ground. They are penned in to the orchid, but thats only because i dont like them in my vege garden. They can totally decimate in in a matter of hours! Still, they have a lot of space in the orchid, and over Autum get windfall as well as foraging.

I also have been buying shop eggs since LC means a lot of eggs. Honestly, I cant taste the difference between mine and the few brands in store Ive tried, except, as I said, the vegetarian ones.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
Marieze, we are pretty much neighbors! I'm not sure how far you are willing to travel to get good eggs but I know there are several vendors at the Oregon City Farmer's Market that sell farm fresh eggs. One of these is a place called Hansen Family Farm in Canby. Here's what they say about their eggs:

...they are fed grass and the best scratch, layer, oyster shells and kitchen scraps to ensure the most nutritious diet. Our feed does not contain any antibiotics or additives it is all natural, mixed and bagged locally from a 'Century Farm' family feed mill...

And you are right, you can't beat farm fresh eggs!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I have a question for you bc I would like to raise chickens: how do you keep birds of prey from taking the chickens? This has been a problem in my area.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
You will need to fence them in.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
You will need to enclose them in some way that will keep the predators (hawks, minks, coyotes, foxes, just to name a few) out.

Last edited by Patience; 03-31-2013 at 07:38 AM..
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I cannot find really good eggs. The best I have found are free range with out use of antibiotics. They are still fed 'organic' feed but that could (and probably does) include soy and that does have an impact on eggs. I would really love to raise my own but it is forbidden in my city.....
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Agree with the previous posters, even pasture raised chickens need to be fed supplementary food. If they aren't being fed soy, that's a bonus. I wouldn't be too concerned about corn or other grains, personally. Sounds like the eggs you have found are a great choice. The farmer that was delivering similar eggs to our grocery store has stopped doing so, we would have to go to his farm. Haven't arranged to do that yet, so yesterday I bought regular organic eggs at the store, they just aren't the same.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I think the label and promotion of vegetarian fed chicken eggs came about because of controversy over laying hens being fed animal byproducts from dead chickens. I don't know if it's actually harmful for chickens to eat other chickens.

I live in Texas and usually buy pasture raised eggs from Vital Farms, which do not claim to be from vegetarian fed chickens. They are also available in other states, including parts of Oregon.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmirror View Post
I raise chickens so I know a bit. I've only had them for nine months. The thing is, it is a rare situation for chickens to get enough food just from foraging. My chickens have free access to grass, earthworms, bugs and nibbles from my garden for most of the day, but I still give them soy-free non-gmo organic scratch and peck feed. I fill their feeder once in the morning and once in the evening; probably a 1/2 cup each time per bird.

There are grains in the feed: whole wheat, whole triticale, peas, a few other grains/legumes, and added grit and calcium.

Chickens are omnivores; so some grain in moderation is fine in their diets.

I'll say though: they are so much fun to watch when I give them our leftover meats. One will grab some and go running off with it in her beak, the others will chase her and try to take it from her. Its mayhem when there's meat out there!

But their preferred food by far is earthworms! Thank goodness they make such wonderful compost, they help make their own food.
I'd buy eggs from you!

I'm fine with chickens being fed some supplemental food but the quality of that food is important to me. Unhealthy feed cancels out the good of pasturing them for me.

Finding eggs that meet those standards can be difficult, not to mention expensive.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I would *love* to be an organic chicken farmer and sell to people. Unfortunately I have a day job and I live in the city so I only have five hens. I'm going to get three more because my coop can accomodate eight hens; and we are avid lowcarbers so we fight over the eggs. They don't all lay daily; some days we will get five eggs but not every day.

I have a coop enclosed within a pen that my husband built in a shady corner of our yard; I'd say the pen is about 10 x 10 ft and it is completely closed like a box...so they can't fly out. I work 2-3 days a week; I keep them enclosed in the pen only on workdays. Otherwise they are out: I've noticed the more I let them roam around, the more orange the yolks are!

I really love keeping chickens. I have some easter eggers that lay blue and green eggs, and a plymouth rock that lays brown. Chickens really add life to a yard and they are so beautiful when they are feathered out! They do poop on the patio; so I have to hose it off more often and yes, they will eat annuals and young vegetables. I also have a fenced off vegetable garden and a huge compost pile that they love to dig into.

If your city doesn't allow it: fight it! You'd be surprised how many people want to keep chickens, but can't. Its crazy because they don't make any more noise than a dog (provided you don't have a rooster) and my chicken area does NOT smell. Yes I keep it clean, but that's what you do when you have pets, right? There is simply no good reason to disallow chickens; I don't like that cities try to control our own private access to food. We should be able to grow vegetables in our front yards, too; but that is another story....
Old 04-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Just wanted to add that its only recently our city allows chickens; enough people wanted the law changed that now, it is changed I live in a *very* urban city and we actually have a pet and feed store that sells chicken feed, straw bales and chicks! They sell out of their chicks every season. Keeping chickens is kind of a new "thing," it seems
Old 04-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
I have had chickens before and just got some more (yay).

Besides the laying mash, we feed them everything. They get all kinds of scraps and bits of our dinners. They are the cutest little garbage disposals ever! Really cuts back on our garbage output.

I can tell you that the home raised eggs are tastier and the yolks are a lot more vibrant than regular eggs. And the satisfaction of knowing the hens that laid your egg are happy is huge.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/124/<120 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian and Low Carb
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
I live in Texas and usually buy pasture raised eggs from Vital Farms, which do not claim to be from vegetarian fed chickens. They are also available in other states, including parts of Oregon.
I'm able to find Vital Farms eggs here in Michigan (at Whole Foods). I'm curious to hear what you pay, if you don't mind.

I pay $8 per dozen, which is why I only buy 1-2 dozen a month and supplement with other store-bought eggs.
MargD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abitobeef
yes free range egg yolks are more vibrant than factory eggs. similar thing happened to farmed salmon
without krill or shrimp the flesh was grey because the salmon incorporate the protein that turns most shellfish pink when you cook it into their own flesh
abitobeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
Now I am back on low carb I need to get my chook run built.Local laws say up to 12 chooks as long as no rooster and their pen isn't attached structurally to a boundary fence.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I would love to keep hens, but I think our dog would have a feast, so it's not possible. There are possums and hawks around, so they'd have to be confined in our small yard.

We go out to a few farms to get our eggs. One farm uses a little bit of grain to entice their hens to come into the coop at night, the other farm lets them forage 100%, but they have a huge pasture the hens share with ducks, sheep, goats, and a llama. They are watched over by Grand Pyrenees guard dogs!

I can't believe how bright yellow (orange, really) and "sticky" those egg yolks are, and they taste SO good!

Not only are the pastured eggs wonderful, but I feel really good knowing where our food is coming from (we buy duck eggs, grass fed beef, lamb, and goat from this farm, too).
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote