Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Question about creams and carb content (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800722-question-about-creams-carb-content.html)

Punkin 03-30-2013 04:11 PM

Question about creams and carb content

I looked up the carbs in 35% cream, 18% cream and 10% cream. And according to the data. they are all really close in the content of the carbs. Around .5g/tbsn. I think 35% is .4g, 18% .5g and 10% .6g
However when I look at the labels in the grocery store 35% says 0 carbs, and 18% and 10% say 1g/tbsn.

Does anyone have any accurate data in the carbs in cream per tablespoon? I'm just a bit confused because the difference between 0g and 1g is pretty significant.

Thanks.

Ntombi 03-30-2013 04:31 PM

If you look them up by the cup (8 fluid ounces), you'll see the differences.

Part of the problem is that in the USA, the FDA allows a bit of fudging in terms of macronutrient reporting on nutrition labels.

Legally, anything under 0.5g (meaning 0.499g and below) can be reported as 0g.
Anything between 0.50 and 0.99 can be reported as >1g.
And they can also round down when the count is between whole numbers.

So the counts won't exactly add up when you're looking at smaller amounts. Looking at the bigger amounts, like a cup, you'll see where the differences are. That's where an online carb counter can be useful. You can even use the USDA's nutrition database NDL/FNIC Food Composition Database Home Page and adjust the amounts.

Patience 03-31-2013 01:53 PM

I am also curoius about milk and carb count.
When I did Atkins a number of years ago, it seemed that labels showed more carbs for whole than 2% and I also recall Atkins advice to go for the whole. More recently I've checked labels and don't see much diff between whole and 2%. What gives? Is it my memory?

Ntombi 03-31-2013 02:18 PM

No, whole milk should have fewer carbs than 2%, but I don't know how big the difference is off the top of my head.

With milk products, the higher the fat content, the lower the carb count.

Maryposa 03-31-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16345174)
If you look them up by the cup (8 fluid ounces), you'll see the differences.

Part of the problem is that in the USA, the FDA allows a bit of fudging in terms of macronutrient reporting on nutrition labels.

Legally, anything under 0.5g (meaning 0.499g and below) can be reported as 0g.
Anything between 0.50 and 0.99 can be reported as >1g.
And they can also round down when the count is between whole numbers.

So the counts won't exactly add up when you're looking at smaller amounts. Looking at the bigger amounts, like a cup, you'll see where the differences are. That's where an online carb counter can be useful. You can even use the USDA's nutrition database NDL/FNIC Food Composition Database Home Page and adjust the amounts.

:goodpost:

Maryposa 03-31-2013 02:24 PM

the higher fat option is not ONLY because it is lower carb.... Atkins used to recommend eating fat with your carbs/sugar to slow insulin response and fat is also known to be more satiating.

If I remember right, a cup of milk has 13 carbs, cream has about 6.6