Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/163.5/160? , 5'7" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK-Stillmans-Atkins
figuring out portions/calories= hard

Man! I'm using the popular internet calorie tracker to make daily menus for the week with correct calories and portion sizes and man it is hard! I came up with six so far for the rotation, but it took me 2 hours. I am truly amazed by how much I was over eating- I thought my portions weren't that bad. atleast not as bad as restaurant, that is. How eye opening! I really have to train myself visually to get used to the "new" sizes...I'm measuring everything. I'm wonering if having physical equal sizes on the counter would help - meaning, deck of cards, tennis ball, golf ball. I'm going to try it!

Just yakin'

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Yes, it's crazy what you can eat and think it's not that much (because in comparison to restaurant portions it isn't).

I liked weighing and measuring things in order to learn what certain portions look like. After doing it enough, you know what 4 or 6oz of steak looks like and how much soup is really a cup or how big a salad is.

It gets a lot easier- I pretty much always eat eggs and bacon with different vegetables for breakfast, and only eat two meals so after breakfast I know I have about 700 calories left and split that between some meat or fish, salad dressing (evoo), vegetables, cooking fat, and maybe dairy.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 03-30-2013 at 12:20 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Our Pastor's wife used to teach a nutrition/diet class to obese teenagers. She would have a half-cup measure tied around her neck, to illustrate that a half-cup was one serving. One of the students disagreed, saying, "Miz, I can fit a WHOLE lot more food into one serving!" That was indeed the issue.

Learning serving sizes and portions, and weighing food, can be extremely eye-opening. I know I am always amazed (and dismayed) how little cheese is in one ounce. *pout*

On the other hand, I now know, pretty much by sight, how much is half a cup and one cup in my normal serving bowls. On a plate, I still need to measure because it can spread out or heap up.

And every now and then when I've been eye-balling a lot, I spend a day or two measuring everything again as a reality check. I need it. Every time.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
I have found my digital kitchen scale to be indispensable. It is way too easy to say that looks like an ounce of something and then weigh it and it's three. I always weight my salad greens because I don't know what a cup of spring mix looks like but I can weigh out 3 ounces.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
What confuses me with foods is how to measure certain things. Like with lettuce. If a serving on the back of a bag says it's 1 cup, do you measure that with some sort of cup measure? If you weigh it, one serving of salad can't really be 8oz can it? That seems like it'd be a HUGE plate!

I get messed up when I'm not sure whether to use a weight measure or a volume measure!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I get confusted too on some measuresments. I was thinking of getting a kitchen scale,too! Like, how much is 4 oz of cooked steak strips? Dunno! I can figure out 4 oz whole pc, though. Salad would be hard. I've been taking the stats from a head of romaine and then dividing. Weighing would be much more precise. Same with chicken. How do I know what 4 oz of chicken stips or cubes are? Maybe Walmart has a scale. I'll check in the morning.
3fatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I got my scale for a really cheap price at Tuesday Morning. There were at least three different types marked down on clearance. Mine was something like $6. With new batteries.
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #8

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Hi raindrops.... one cup of "salad" is not 8 oz, the 8oz to a cup applies to FLUID...

when it comes to cups vs. ounces, it's not a direct translation because one is volume (cup) and one is weight (oz)

I hope that helps a little?
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #9

I love my kitchen scale and use it frequently! I have a digital one, and the "units" can change... from lb/oz to grams
Old 03-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Hi raindrops.... one cup of "salad" is not 8 oz, the 8oz to a cup applies to FLUID...

when it comes to cups vs. ounces, it's not a direct translation because one is volume (cup) and one is weight (oz)

I hope that helps a little?
That's what I thought, but then I'm still confused as to how you'd measure salad in that case I always see serving sizes of "one cup" or something and I think... okay, well I can ROUGHLY divide this bag of salad into equal portions so I have about one serving each time... but there's got to be a more precise way of doing it I'd assume!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
That's what I thought, but then I'm still confused as to how you'd measure salad in that case I always see serving sizes of "one cup" or something and I think... okay, well I can ROUGHLY divide this bag of salad into equal portions so I have about one serving each time... but there's got to be a more precise way of doing it I'd assume!
Ya, I know what you mean... it's especially fun when the package is "about 2.5 servings" lol

It should also list the serving in weight... if you get a kitchen scale, put a bowl on the scale, "0" it out, then put some salad in until it reaches the serving size.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ya, I know what you mean... it's especially fun when the package is "about 2.5 servings" lol

It should also list the serving in weight... if you get a kitchen scale, put a bowl on the scale, "0" it out, then put some salad in until it reaches the serving size.
You know? I never noticed the weight! I'll have to look on the labels next time I need to weigh something... thank you I knew there had to be another more obvious way to do things, but I guess I'm so used to looking for volume measurements that I didn't notice grams or anything like that!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jazills
Stats: 241.8/241.8/145 - 5'2"
WOE: VLC/NK
Start Date: July, 7 2014
I've had my scale for 2 years now, I used it my first go around with LC. WELL I can't live without the thing. I measure every single thing that might have an issue with portion. ANYTHING in bulk I measure. I'm a measure-daily counter-aholic. I just have to do this to feel like I'm accomplishing something. As for things I'm not sure what the portion might be...I look it up in my food diary and it usually gives me a general portion size and I go from there. IT WORKS!!
jazills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:29 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

found a sleek tempered flat glass digital scale on sale for $10 on Amazon last night! I'm excited! Can't wait to see what I've been over eating!
3fatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:51 AM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Yup, I rely on my kitchen scale too. I also use the USDA nutrient web site for more accurate details.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Yup, I rely on my kitchen scale too. I also use the USDA nutrient web site for more accurate details.
Clackley, do you mean this one? https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/foodapedia.aspx ? I am just wondering, because the USDA trackers are listed in the tools page and if that is the one you mean, you are allowed to post it.

I have been thinking about using their (USDA) tools.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Hopefully our UK members can chime in here...

You know how recipes intended for British people always write things in grams? Like add "100g of flour" ... does everyone there have kitchen scales and weigh things all the time? And never use cup measures or scoops? I've always wondered this.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
Well I am in NZ and we use mostly the same systems as the British.
We get a mixture of cups and grams in recipes.Stuff like flour,bran,coconut shavings etc usually get cup measurements but sometimes ones like butter are in cups or grams as you can can either weigh or use the marks on the butter paper.
Liquids like syrup,water etc are usually in cups.
Just to be difficult some books are all cups,others all grams.
Most keen bakers and cooks own a small kitchen scale.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
Well I live in the midwest but when I measure, it's mostly in grams. I guess I'm used to it since that's the way I learned...even though I have to convert most things to ounces.
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Clackley, do you mean this one? https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/foodapedia.aspx ? I am just wondering, because the USDA trackers are listed in the tools page and if that is the one you mean, you are allowed to post it.

I have been thinking about using their (USDA) tools.
No.... I did not realize there was such a thing and will have to check it out. I was referring to the data base...

NDL/FNIC Food Composition Database Home Page
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote