Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ktsandoval
Stats: 191/184/150
WOE: Low carb 30g or less
Start Date: Feb. 2013
size 12(stretch) pants still feel tight!!!!

Hi friends. Kind of discouraged today. I realize that I've had a few bumps in the road during my low carb journey, but my measurements have definitely gone down about 5 inches. I have stayed in ketosis (small-moderate) pretty much all this week (except one day.) However, my pants feel tight!!!!! I try to stay under 30 carbs per day. So i just don't know what's going on! Very frustrated....anyone have these sorts of issues?
Kat
ktsandoval is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Wow, I'm kind of wondering myself how you could lose 5 inches and have your pants fit the same still... or were these newer pants you bought for yourself? You could be retaining water if that seems to be a new issue... lots of things can cause water retention I know. You might be extremely carb sensitive as well, have you tried bumping your carbs down to about 20 to see how you do there?

Without seeing a sample menu we can't really say too much. Usually when I find I'm not losing weight, my problem is either related to water retention (which is usually tied to sodium intake for me, but also other factors as well), too much protein, or too many calories since I keep my carbs under 20 all the time.

It's great you're losing inches though! What you're doing is obviously working, so don't give up the good fight If you don't feel like you're progressing the way you should though, that's usually the answer... take a look at just how much you're eating in a day, and tweak things until you find something that works for you.
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Did you wear these pants before or are they new? What size did you wear before starting?

size 12 at 190 seems to be a bit of a stretch.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Did you wear these pants before or are they new? What size did you wear before starting?

size 12 at 190 seems to be a bit of a stretch.
It definitely isn't depending on where you carry most of your weight! When I was at 180 I was actually wearing my size 12's and they fit me... 10's wouldn't even go on. If you carry a lot of your weight in your midsection, it's really easy to be in 12's at 190. Height also has a lot to do with it too.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
If you carry a lot of your weight in your midsection, it's really easy to be in 12's at 190.
Well, it is now that clothing manufacturers have gotten wise and started calling size 16's "12's"!

OP, did you lose five inches from around your waist, or is that a cumulative number from all over?
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
It definitely isn't depending on where you carry most of your weight! When I was at 180 I was actually wearing my size 12's and they fit me... 10's wouldn't even go on. If you carry a lot of your weight in your midsection, it's really easy to be in 12's at 190. Height also has a lot to do with it too.
I guess my frame of reference is non-vanity sized clothes (even from just 10 years ago) where no matter what, how tall you are, 190 and size 12 don't mix.

But, this also goes with the idea of current double 00 sizes that are bigger than a size 2 from five years ago. Can't wait for 000.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Well, it is now that clothing manufacturers have gotten wise and started calling size 16's "12's"!
So true Sometimes I just wish women's pants followed the same sizing as men's and just went by waist measurement instead of some mystery number that keeps changing... although I guess I feel better about myself seeing that tiny little number compared to a bigger one. Darn, they know us too well
Old 03-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
So true Sometimes I just wish women's pants followed the same sizing as men's and just went by waist measurement instead of some mystery number that keeps changing... although I guess I feel better about myself seeing that tiny little number compared to a bigger one. Darn, they know us too well
It just makes me mad because it makes online shopping so much harder.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I don't think the number of size matters...the fact is she is having issues with fitting into clothes that would normally fit her and is staying within her carb range.

A lot of us have this happen ... maybe post some menus so that we can help. Sometimes water retention is the culprit, or a new medicine or increased exercise.

Good luck and hope you get back into those pants comfortably soon...no matter what size.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
It just makes me mad because it makes online shopping so much harder.
True, but then again I'm usually a "shop in store" kind of person anyway because I'm super picky about how clothes fit me Even if jeans will fit fine on my waist I might not like the way they sit on me or something... same goes with shirts. If I can't try it on, I'm loathe to buy it unless there's a store I can return it to hassle free!

My significant other on the other hand? Completely different. Buys everything online, and everything fits great. I'm jealous
Old 03-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I have 3 different Ann Taylor pencil skirts -- all bought within a month of each other from the same store (online) -- and they are 3 completely different measurements. Physically holding them up together by the waists, some are much wider than the others so they *look* (to me) like they're not the same size.

I can appreciate different proportions depending on where they're supposed to sit on the waist and hips. But come on! I should be able to *fit* into all of them, if I can fit into any of them. Amirite?! But one of the skirts does not fit at all (too tight to zip). The other 2 skirts fit perfectly and I would say "this is my size." Although, even those two skirts have slightly different measurements. None of the skirts are "stretchy" -- they're all linen / wool / cotton, so I'm not squeezing into the skirts that fit. And they are all described as "pencil skirts."

I totally do not understand how this inconsistency happens. I can appreciate being a size 10 in one brand and a size 12 in different brand but, in my opinion, a single brand should be consistent. Or how is a person supposed to shop online? I don't want to sound petty. And I'm still working to lose more inches so I don't *really* mind having a skirt that is a bit too small, which is why I won't return the skirt and complain to customer service. But I'm truly annoyed by this level of sizing inconsistency.

Clothes sizing is an annoying joke. That's all I'm saying.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I don't think the number of size matters...the fact is she is having issues with fitting into clothes that would normally fit her and is staying within her carb range.

A lot of us have this happen ... maybe post some menus so that we can help. Sometimes water retention is the culprit, or a new medicine or increased exercise.

Good luck and hope you get back into those pants comfortably soon...no matter what size.
Excellent point! Now I feel even more petty about my outburst...
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/150/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Whatever gets me to goal...
Start Date: January 2013
I wish women's clothing measured like men's.
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
That's the problem with stretch pants. They're made to "fit" a range of 2-3 sizes. So they may feel the same on you, but are the thighs looser? The butt baggier? It could be a small difference because they're not stretching as much is all
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Part of the variation in fit is because the industry uses "fit models" - women who try on the clothes so the manufacturer can get the fit right. Since different women have different shapes, even at the same size, you can get different fits.

Additionally, manufacturers don't necessarily use fit models for every size - they size the others up or down. So you can have variation slip in from one pattern to another.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ktsandoval
Stats: 191/184/150
WOE: Low carb 30g or less
Start Date: Feb. 2013
Okay a few clarifications:
* I gave up the scale for Lent and honestly for good. It can be a good tool/bad tool for me and at most times if I don't see a change it totally throws me off my diet and I give up.
*I certainly have lost inches....a little over 4 1/2. Judging by the numbers, most of the loss is in my chest and thighs. The hips are alot slower it seems, and I still have tummy fat. So yes, this is cumulative.
*These are older pants...I'm sure before I restarted lc i gained a few pounds. I fit perfectly fine in 14s. (remember i said streetttcchhhh)
*Yesterday was good Friday....therefore I did splurge on Tilapia which your right, Raindroproses, it could be water retention as I ate late last night and it was quite salty.
*Thank you lterry913 for the motivation.
*raindroproses: your right, we are all different and it could me height etc.
Kat
ktsandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #17

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/155 169.4 VFT!
WOE: Weight loss surgery (VSG) + Low Carb + Exercise
Start Date: 1998; Restart May 2007 @355; WLS March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsandoval View Post
Hi friends. Kind of discouraged today. I realize that I've had a few bumps in the road during my low carb journey, but my measurements have definitely gone down about 5 inches. I have stayed in ketosis (small-moderate) pretty much all this week (except one day.) However, my pants feel tight!!!!! I try to stay under 30 carbs per day. So i just don't know what's going on! Very frustrated....anyone have these sorts of issues?
Kat
Hi Kat! Hang in there... we women sure seem to fluctuate in water retention / bloat so easily. It could be that you are retaining water in certain parts of your body (keeping your weight stable) but that you are actually losing fat and there is where the inch loss comes in. I know I can be swollen in my lower legs and ankles sometimes, other times in my midsection, and other times in my face... the human body is a complicated thing but one thing I can tell you is, if you stick with it you'll have nothing to regret about THAT!

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

I hope you figure it out and they fit soon.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I have a pair of pants that were very loose on me when I bought them 12 years ago. Over the last 10 years I haven't been able to pull them up at all, and last year I was finally able to wear them, but depending on the day of the month, they have been either too tight or just right. All of a sudden, without a very big change in scale weight over the last year, the pants are fitting loosely again. I also still weigh 10 lbs more than I did when I bought the pants. It's a long road.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsandoval View Post
Okay a few clarifications:
* I gave up the scale for Lent and honestly for good. It can be a good tool/bad tool for me and at most times if I don't see a change it totally throws me off my diet and I give up.
*I certainly have lost inches....a little over 4 1/2. Judging by the numbers, most of the loss is in my chest and thighs. The hips are alot slower it seems, and I still have tummy fat. So yes, this is cumulative.
*These are older pants...I'm sure before I restarted lc i gained a few pounds. I fit perfectly fine in 14s. (remember i said streetttcchhhh)
*Yesterday was good Friday....therefore I did splurge on Tilapia which your right, Raindroproses, it could be water retention as I ate late last night and it was quite salty.
*Thank you lterry913 for the motivation.
*raindroproses: your right, we are all different and it could me height etc.
Kat
Just wanted to say I can wear a pair of pants into work in the morning and change into my uniform, and by the time I go to put them on 12 hours later they will sometimes barely button...usually due to water retention and how much I am able to eat or drink during the day...just stick with the plan and all will work out. It does however get frustrating at times.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC
Start Date: May 24, 2011
I have also noticed that my paints feel tighter somedays regardless of what the scale says. I know it can be frustrating but I don't think it is necessarily an indication of how you diet is going.
Also I must keep my carbs under 20 to lose weight.
Hang in there, soon you will be pulling to keep them on!!
Annabel Lee is online now   Reply With Quote