Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
What knocks you out of ketosis?

Hi, I've been pretty good at sticking to the plan for about two months but I want to start experimenting a bit more with my diet. I was wondering if people could just give me some examples of things that knock them out of ketosis. It doesn't matter what it is, I just need of rough idea of what kinds of things might do it.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Too many carbs at once. That's pretty much it, since I don't eat bars, noodles, etc. with magic carb math.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Ugh, Atkins bars and shakes! Just one of them messed me up each time I had one and I was out of it for days. Other than that, yeah... too many carbs at once, or too many in a day in general. For me that amounts to usually not allowing more than 20 TOTAL per day. Normally my count is kept closer to 10. That means even if I have a little snack that has fruit in it, I'm running the risk of being kicked out of ketosis. Lousy, since I enjoy fruit. But I'm hoping once I'm in maintenance fruit will be able to be a "sometimes" moderate snack food
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
Atkins bars, shakes, SF candy, LC ice cream..... anything that I can't control myself arouond, naturally. I'm not sure about the blueberries and greek yogurt, but I only have 1/4 C of that every other day. I know I am out of ketosis right now because I want to eat everything in sight. Ibuproffen kicks me out too, and I had a really bad stomach ache last night that I took some for.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
Atkins bars and shakes do not kick me out of ketosis (I have only had the 2-3g ECC bars), however, they screw up my gut bacteria so bad that I don't like to eat them. Alcoholic beverages make me retain water and gain weight, not sure what effect they have on my ketosis. I can eat somewhere up to 50g ECC of certain foods and still lose. What affects ketosis most is your level of insulin resistance and previous damage done to your metabolism.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Carbs. That's it. As long as I keep my carb count under 40 grams per day I'm fine. I have never been knocked out of ketosis by non-caloric sweeteners, protein bars or shakes, alcohol, or anything else, as long as I keep that carb count under control.
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Definitely fake food. I eat shirataki noodles without a problem--the original kind, not the kind with tofu added. I don't consider those fake foods. But things with lots of sugar alcohols, flour mixtures, and magical number crunching don't work with my body.

Interestingly, I can eat one serving of dreamfields pasta without a problem. One.

A fairly moderate number of high-glycemic carbs does it, but I can eat a slightly larger amount of low-glycemic carbs without trouble. Still less than a serving, mostly, if I don't have fat along with it. If I eat fat to slow down the absorption, I can have one serving of something like lentils once a day, late in the day after eating high fat and moderate protein the rest of the day, without being kicked out of ketosis.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 03-30-2013 at 10:37 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I love nuts and berries.
A small handful of each a day is fine, but more than that is risky.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Does the size of the meal or time during the day affect ketosis? Or eating too much protein at one meal? Just curious.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

For me, yes. I already can't eat too many veggie carbs in the morning, or I'm hungrier than normal throughout the day. I'm okay with dairy and egg carbs, but veggie carbs don't work. I save those for the second or third meal of the day. Same with anything higher carb that I eat, like lentils or hidden carbs in a restaurant meal. They're best saved for my last meal of the day, when I've eaten well (meaning high fat, moderate protein) all day. When I do that, I'm fine, my hunger stays normal (ketosis normal), and I'm still in ketosis.

I think that's one of those things that you have to figure out for yourself, though. Some people don't have that time of day issue, and some people do better eating the reverse of me.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
Does the size of the meal or time during the day affect ketosis? Or eating too much protein at one meal? Just curious.
Eating carbs at breakfast time is absolutely the worst for my body. I tolerate them much better with lunch or dinner. I assume that's because my blood sugar is already a little higher at breakfast time because of the dawn phenomenon, but that's only an educated guess.
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
Picking at other things as 'it is just a bite' is my worst.2 grapes off the kids plates is fine,15 grapes absentmindedly is byebye ketosis.
I am o.k. with the small 2gm bars which are the only things I eat that isn't really atkins 1972.I haven't tried the shakes or meals though.

I am having trouble balancing the need for flax meal for bathroom reasons with the very narrow line it has for me between enough and too much.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #13

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
It's been so long since I have measured ketones that I don't really know anymore.

raindroproses, not that I don't believe YOU, but I can't believe the shakes kick you out! How strange! I wonder why. For me, the sugar alcohols in the bars cause me problems, but not the shakes.

Kiwi, I remember Dr. Atkins saying in one of the books that on this diet "just a bite" is the kiss of death. A bit dramatic, but for some who are extremely metabolically resistant, it is true they get kicked out of ketosis more easily.

Have you tried powdered magnesium (for instance, there is a product called natural calm, it is flavored and sweetened with stevia) instead of flax for your bathroom issues?

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

I have only just heard of magnesium for this.As I am in ketosis so hard at the moment I am getting leg cramps I might try it as it would fix one even if it didn't fix the other.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #15

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistars View Post
I have only just heard of magnesium for this.As I am in ketosis so hard at the moment I am getting leg cramps I might try it as it would fix one even if it didn't fix the other.
I recommend natural calm.... unfortunately since you aren't in the US I don't think you get the $5 flat rate shipping, but I buy mine here on netrition. I don't recall seeing it elsewhere. For some reason, the powdered kind you mix with water and drink down tends to work for bathroom issues moreso than a pill supplement. Also, there is something about it that is supposed to help with sleep issues (hence the "calm" in the name?)

If I remember right, Valerie Berkowitz (who used to work at Atkins Nutritionals) was the one to recommend it to me.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I will ask at my local health food shop.someone must be making powdered magnesium citrate here...

Postage to America has gone up through the roof recently.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

i had a meal out of induction levels last night, as I went to some friends' house for dinner. They did their very best, especially since they don't know anything about low carb eating, and they did well.

I had two stuffed mushrooms with veggies (zucchini, leeks, celery, and onions), breadcrumbs, tomato paste, and cheese, a stuffed yellow bell pepper with ground beef, the same veggies along with celery, and tomato paste, a glass and a half of Riesling, and three 12 oz bottles of water. I passed on the cheese plate and dessert.

So, probably an OWL meal. I was not knocked out of ketosis.

Just to give you a real life example.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I've never once tested so I have no idea if/when I might be in or out of ketosis. It has never been important to me.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
i had a meal out of induction levels last night, as I went to some friends' house for dinner. They did their very best, especially since they don't know anything about low carb eating, and they did well.

I had two stuffed mushrooms with veggies (zucchini, leeks, celery, and onions), breadcrumbs, tomato paste, and cheese, a stuffed yellow bell pepper with ground beef, the same veggies along with celery, and tomato paste, a glass and a half of Riesling, and three 12 oz bottles of water. I passed on the cheese plate and dessert.

So, probably an OWL meal. I was not knocked out of ketosis.

Just to give you a real life example.
I forgot that we also had homemade tomato soup.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I don't test ketones either, but I think the only time I've noticed symptoms of ketosis go away was just recently, when I chose to eat off plan for a few days immediately following my daughter's birth. That took sushi, cold stone ice cream cake, and the like to do it
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I think I am a bit better now than I was a month ago. I have to start using my glucose meter in a couple of weeks when I start introducing new foods, to see if my BG levels return to normal after eating. Mine also measures ketones but the store doesn't carry them, so I might get them online. I just wanted a sense of what could cause problems so I don't get blindsided.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
raindroproses, not that I don't believe YOU, but I can't believe the shakes kick you out! How strange! I wonder why. For me, the sugar alcohols in the bars cause me problems, but not the shakes.
Really? LOTS of people I've seen on here have been kicked out by the shakes too I think Frankenfoods have a tendency to do that to many for some reason... also I believe there's malitol in the shakes too, which is what causes the issue for most people. I know it's not the sucralose because I do use it in smallish quantities pretty much every day, and never noticed a reaction from that
Old 04-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I think I am a bit better now than I was a month ago. I have to start using my glucose meter in a couple of weeks when I start introducing new foods, to see if my BG levels return to normal after eating. Mine also measures ketones but the store doesn't carry them, so I might get them online. I just wanted a sense of what could cause problems so I don't get blindsided.

Thanks everyone.
That is how you will KNOW for sure. I will be waiting for your results.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
I use the Atkins Shakes and they suit me well. They have sucralose not malitol. I count as 5g and not 2g. But, they're 160 calories and as a LC meal works well for me and satisfies. No cravings using them.
Ladysilverpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lilipoot
alcohol
lilipoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysilverpatch View Post
I use the Atkins Shakes and they suit me well. They have sucralose not malitol. I count as 5g and not 2g. But, they're 160 calories and as a LC meal works well for me and satisfies. No cravings using them.
I agree about the Atkins shakes. They do no contain any sugar alcohols. I find the Atkins Advantage shakes work better for me, though, than the Atkins Daybreak shakes. The daybreak has too much fiber. The shakes are not the same as the bars, which I avoid as much as possible. I don't consider them any more of a "frankenfood" than any other protein shake. I have been losing 10 lbs./month having one almost everyday for breakfast.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Sugar alcohols or not, they did stall me along with many others... I think it's a YMMV sort of thing, but I do have issues with convenience foods like that.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
Quote:
i can be skeptical about things,and since i felt id tried everything under the sun already(and nothing worked),did not take the magnesium advice right away...i sure wish i would have though..it works,and it works fast..i can take 750 mg before bed and i will go within 10 min of rising in the am every time..like magic
Kimberli33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
By all means, supplement with magnesium. It does an incredible amount of good stuff with the body. But I don't think magnesium will fix your leg cramp issues. Sodium and potassium will though.

For a quick fix drink some pickle juice when the cramp strikes.

Since you are LC you need to make sure you are getting enough sodium. The recommended amount is 5g a day. You are probably getting 2g from your food unless you are intentionally doing low sodium or have health issues that require low sodium eating. That is a lot of sodium and you may not need that much but too little sodium has a lot of deleterious effects like loss of lean body mass and awful cramps.

Here is a thread I created about sodium:

NK and Salt - You must have it!

And if you google 'dr eades tips & tricks' there is a great article where Dr. Eades describes his adventures with debilitating cramps. He discovered that he was dehydrated.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Easter candy

more than 2 beers (and not just because it too often leads to carbicide)

more than one serving of non-veggie carbs in a meal (15 grams), and a total of more than 50 in a day
synger is offline   Reply With Quote