Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Question about veins...

So this might be an odd question, and it may or may not have anything to do with LC dieting... but has anyone else noticed their veins becoming more prominent for some reason/having them stick out more? I'm not talking about the color of them becoming more obvious mind you, but rather that they're a bit more raised now than they were before.

I'm wondering if it's just due to losing weight and being thinner in those spots that I notice it, because I've never been this thin in my adult life (heck, not since I was a pre-teen!) but someone else mentioned it could be because I'm more hydrated now too... I have no idea what it is exactly, but I kind of wonder if I'm the only one noticing odd things like that and if there's a reason for it to be happening
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
Well I have really prominent veins on my hands which don't seem to have any fat cells and are always bony and I always have had but nowhere else.Maybe it is simply there is nothing padding them out any more?
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Yes I have this. It happens in parts of your body where you don't have a lot of adipose cells underneath the skin layer. There is a condition called lipodystrophy, in some people in can result in an uneven bodyfat distribution. I have it and I am as lean as a body builder in my upper body but fat in my lower body. All my fat is stored in the hip area, which is basically what causes the "pear shape" body type.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohiocat
Stats: 252/174/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/5/2012
I was always a problem when it came to getting blood drawn. It would take 2 or 3 or 4 sticks before they could get it. Recently I've noticed that I'm starting to have some visible veins. My last blood draw was a 1-stick easy process. I've been chalking it up to weight loss and using the rowing machine at the gym. Either way, I'm glad!
ohiocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Could it be that your body isn't retaining fluid as much as it was pre-lc?
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
It could be the water retention thing, and it could be weight loss I'm guessing... maybe a combination of both! I know it's mostly on my hands/wrists and my feet that I notice it and those are places most people don't seem to store a lot of fat anyway. I do know the fat distribution in my hands has gone down though because my ring finger has went from a 9/9.5 to a 6/6.5!

I did used to retain a lot of water though, so it is probably a combination of things... I'm glad other people noticed it too, because I was starting to wonder if it was really from thinning out or from something else. I know when I was younger my mother used to tell me all the time that prominent veins like that were from overworking yourself or something... but I hardly move lately, so I didn't think that was it

I've always had great veins for taking blood though! They always commented on how perfect they were... I'm glad too because my mom had "floating" veins, and she had to get stuck about a dozen times each time she went in. The poor thing!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I've always had very prominent veins (which they LOVE at the blood center!) Now my problem is the weight I have lost makes the varicose veins on my legs more noticable!
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote