Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Ikea - phooey

Went to Ikea today, and we usually have lunch in the cafeteria.

In the past I was a fan of the meatballs, but they're full of breadcrumbs. (Yes, I saw the news stories about horsemeat in the European Ikea meatballs - this cafeteria had put up a little sign saying the meatballs were US-made, and contained only beef and pork!) So no meatballs for me, even before you take into consideration the mashed potatoes and sugary lingonberry preserves.

I've heard that low-carb is huge in Sweden, but you wouldn't know it from the Ikea cafeteria! Breaded chicken, vinegared salmon with "root vegetables", those meatballs ... there was a baked salmon with Hollandaise that looked good, but it came with something called "vegetable medallions", which looked suspicious. When I got home I Googled them up and found out they're mostly potatoes.

The best choice I found was the gravlax (another kind of salmon) with salad - I tossed the sweet-looking sauce and had ranch dressing on the salad. (Gravlax is made with sugar, but from the nutritional info, it looks as though it was less than one gram of carbohydrate.)

All the Ikea products have Swedish names - there are even Swedish books on the bookshelves. If only they'd catch up with Swedish low carb!
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
They wouldn't sell it here anyway: they sell Americanized versions of "Swedish" food, to sell better here. It is too bad.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I have a funny and almost unrelated Ikea story, much like the one from 30 Rock! My 1 and only experience from going to Ikea, too! My man and I needed a couch. We knew exactly which one we wanted. We drove 2 hours to Ikea in high hopes. I got my period and *terrible* cramps right away and felt like I was going to pass out. We didn't find any couch we liked and the one we had picked out was awful in real life. We found another one, but they only had it in the color that was like $1,000 more than the color we actually liked. I was near dying and my Man is like, "Hey, let's get some meatballs!" I totally humored him, thinking well at least it's meat so I can eat it and not pass out, and there was a 45 minute line and then they were OUT of meatballs. I found a nice wicker chair to sit in and rested until my man was done not finding a couch for us. We went home and ordered a couch online a week later.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
My husband went grocery shopping the last week and bought some ground beef that was on sale. He raved about how cheap it was when he got home. I looked at what he had bought and it was packaged in a sausage shaped container with a plastic covering that you couldn't see into. We cooked it up and I swear it was full of bread crumb filler. It didn't exactly taste like real meat. I remember reading somewhere that a lot of places do this to cut down the overhead costs of meat. I guess that is why it is always better to make it yourself!
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/134/135, 52 yo
WOE: LCHF Primal
Start Date: 12/02
I know they say LCHF is big in Sweden, but I've been living here since August and I haven't met a single other person who eats low carb. Every day at work we have lovely fikas (coffee breaks), with nice coffee and piles of cookies, pastries, biscuits. I work in a huge department, filled with outdoorsy people, and I'm the only soul around who's low carb.

At home in the US, when other people see what I eat, at least they know why I don't eat starches and sugars. Here, people just seem completely puzzled--they haven't even heard of low carb, it seems like. A lot of people are gluten intolerant, but they eat potato instead. The meat balls here are all full of potato starch.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
I know they say LCHF is big in Sweden, but I've been living here since August and I haven't met a single other person who eats low carb.
What? Could the Internet be lying to us?
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase View Post
What? Could the Internet be lying to us?
No way, everything on the internet is true.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I love Ikea salmon and the gravlax is delicious (my personal favorite!). So don't eat the carby side. You are in control of what you eat. There's a salad bar, too, although the choices are limited.

Sometimes they have a roasted meat entree (e.g. Baby back ribs), cooked veggies, and there's always fishy snacks (herring!) downstairs in the grocery section and hot dogs (skip the bun) in the exit bistro.

Love Ikea and their food is reasonably priced.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote