Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
I don't know Chocolate Rose.. I guess it's just all about experimentation.. good luck!
dipgal is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anglgrl
Stats: 231/135/130
WOE: HF/LC Paleo
Start Date: Mid Sept. 2011
Cholacol made me worse (so did ox bile). I also take digestive enzymes and a probitoic. I forgot to say I also took a course of Fungal Defense. I started taking it because of a recurring skin infection but it ended up being a big turning point in my post GB problems. It's what made it possible for me to start cutting down on my welchol. I read an article later that said lots of people who have GB surgery can wind up with messed up gut flora. I'm sure mine was doubly messed up from taking PPIs and BC for over a decade. Anyway, it was nice to finally leave the house without taking a pocket-full of Immodium AD with me.
anglgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marriedtothearmy
Wow, so many people have had this surgery! I think I'm just going to start slow and ease my way into it. I had been on low fat for about three weeks because I was warned the increased dosage of my IV meds for Lyme could lead to gallbladdder issues. So I'll gradually ramp back up to my normal low carb diet that I was doing a month ago.

I've been taking three different probiotics since I started with the Lyme treatment so I'm hoping that will be a good thing. He did ask me if I was taking anything like Nexium, etc but the only thing I take is Pepcid and that's because of the allergic reaction I have with the dressings for my PICC line (it has an antihistamine).

It looks like what happens after surgery definitely differs from one person to the next. I won't be released to go back to work until at least Thursday so I can at least experiment at home!
marriedtothearmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Byrd328
Stats: 267/222/150
WOE: Eggs/Meat/Cheese and more Eggs
Start Date: April 2011
I've had mine out for about 7 years. I had the bathroom issue for about 2-3 years after to the point that I continually harrassed my gastrologist that something had to be wrong. After several test and consults they couldnt find anything. He told me allot of people experience those symptoms after removal. Over the years it has subsided, but I occassionally have an episode here and there, but I have learned what my trigger foods are. Since doin low carb, I have not really had these issues and I eat a high fat diet.

The one thing I did notice is those few episodes did involve high fat with carbs. For example mexican food is trigger for me. I'm in trouble if I have mexican with a taco, chips, tortilla, or any kind of burrito wrap; but if I take out the carby stuff no problems.

Low carb has helped cure allot of my stomach issues.
Byrd328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #35
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I still have my gallbladder although I was diagnosed with stones quite a long time ago. I experienced attacks typical of this when I varied from my low fat woe and ate something high fat. The theory is that the stones form due to inactivity in the gallbladder and then when it is sprung into action with something fatty, the stones become stuck in the bile tract and cause pain.

Going low carb, high fat has not caused me to have symptoms at all. I may be just lucky or the stones were passed with my last attack many years ago. Someday, I will have another ultra sound to see.

From Chris Kresser with a Paleo perspective...

Quote:
Steve Wright: Yeah, thanks everyone for sending in your questions, and letís start with Angelaís first. Sheís curious how someone without a gallbladder does Paleo.

Chris Kresser: Well, the common bile duct, which still remains after the gallbladder is removed, actually assumes a lot of the function of the gallbladder once itís taken out, and thatís why itís possible to take out the gallbladder and not have somebody just completely fall apart and be unable to digest any fat at all. So, a lot of people do really well on Paleo without a gallbladder. Some people may need to moderate their fat intake to some degree, although a lot of people donít. The type of fat seems to matter. Coconut oil is a very good fat for people without a gallbladder because it doesnít require bile acids for absorption, so itís rapidly absorbed in the upper part of the small intestine, and itís transported directly to the liver via the portal vein. These are medium-chain triglycerides that Iím talking about, and in fact, theyíre used in hospital tube-feeding formulas, you know, for people who have had surgery on their intestine or have had parts of their intestine removed because theyíre so easy to digest and absorb. So, coconut oil is definitely your friend if youíre lacking a gallbladder. Then there are some other things that can be done to improve that function of the bile duct and help emulsify and break down fats. Dandelion is a very commonly used herb in the Western pharmacopoeia. Itís bitter and itís a cholagogue, which means it helps with bile synthesis. Ox bile can be used if youíre having trouble digesting fats. You know, that wonít address the underlying cause of the problem, but it will help symptomatically. Itís a similar approach to using hydrochloric acid when you have low stomach acid, but youíre actually using bile itself in this case. So, that can be useful for people who donít have a gallbladder or for anybody who is having trouble digesting fat, because thatís often one of the biggest difficulties that I see when somebody moves from a lower-fat diet to a higher-fat Paleo Diet is if they havenít been in the habit of eating fat and producing bile that you need to break it down, they can often experience some difficulty with the high fat content, and so ox bile or dandelion root or ginger can all be helpful in breaking down the fat.

Steve Wright: Well, what about lipase? Would someone want to take an enzyme like lipase for this?

Chris Kresser: Sure, that can work too. You know, we talked before about how I generally prefer HCl to correct the problem at the top, and if the food in the stomach is properly acidified, then the pancreas should secrete all of the necessary enzymes, but the NOW Super Enzymes are a good choice at least temporarily while youíre resolving the underlying issues. That can be helpful too.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

ďEat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #36
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tammy2002
Stats: 173/143/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedtothearmy View Post
They just said I would need to be close to a bathroom if I ate a higher fat meal. Maybe that's just for right after surgery?
they weren't lying! but for me, this lasted about 4 years. But I still ate fat and still do. just be aware that you will need to "go" quickly after a big meal..
Tammy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
My daughter had hers out and she has no problem eating high fat LOW carb. What does bother her is eating high fat HIGH carb. She buys Kerry Gold butter and eats it by the teaspoon full for snacks with no problem, but give her some batter fried stuf and major issues.

Before her surgery she had major issues even with just a tiny bit of cheese.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #38
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tammy2002
Stats: 173/143/130
Start Date: June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karerose View Post
My daughter had hers out and she has no problem eating high fat LOW carb. What does bother her is eating high fat HIGH carb. She buys Kerry Gold butter and eats it by the teaspoon full for snacks with no problem, but give her some batter fried stuf and major issues.

Before her surgery she had major issues even with just a tiny bit of cheese.
I think that was probably the case with me too . i just hadn't put it together until you said it. I got mine out 16+ years ago but only started LCing about 9 years ago...haven't had a problem since i started LCing.
Tammy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I had to have my GB removed this past February, after eating lC for a year. I had no issues after surgery, and in fact, the friend who drove me home from the hospital served me dinner that night, with a delicious cream of carrot soup (very heavy on the cream!). Maybe my body was just used to dealing with higher fat in my diet, but so far so good.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marriedtothearmy
So far, so good. I've been eating my normal diet with a few extra non-grain carbs thrown in like potatoes (I'm in maintenance) without any issues. In fact, I'm still losing! It will give me a little cushion with my weight so I'm good with that.
marriedtothearmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: glendabuffy
Stats: 180
WOE: None
Start Date: January 2012
Wow! This is marvelous - so many of us out there!

I had my gallbladder out about 10 years ago and am wondering if that could be one of the reasons that, on low carb high fat I lose inches but not much weight?

As for following a low fat diet after getting the gallbladder out, I have no clue truly. My own doctor at the time didn't offer diddly squat advice or information after the operation so I just ate whatever I felt like. I put on weight, inches, had loo issues - the whole enchilada. With low carb high fat, I don't have many loo issues any more.

Good Luck and sure hope that helps! Welcome to the world of NGU (No Gallbladders, Unite)! lol

Last edited by glendabuffy; 05-08-2013 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: LCHF was red and not sure what that means
glendabuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bethierose
Stats: 377/329.3/130
WOE: Primal/Atkins Induction/figuring it out
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Wow, I can't believe how many people just on this forum have had their gallbladder removed! I still have mine, but I had no idea how common it would have been to see on here
I think this is because most of us bought into the low fat malarkey for so long! I also had my GB out, in 2010, and after all the research I did, I am pretty sure it's due to LF-HC lifestyle. After making the switch, I have had some diarrhea issues, but not nearly as bad as I would have thought. And it is becoming less and less of a problem! so YAY!
bethierose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AddysMommy
Stats: 188.5/185/145 (5'9")
Start Date: april 2012, restart feb 2014
I haven't had mine for 6 years and I have no problems at all, not on lc and not eating high carb. My friend however can hardly eat anything and she's right i the bathroom. i guess it depends on your body.
AddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I just had mine out this week in an emergency surgery, totally unexpected. Now I'm terrified to eat anything! I don't want to go low fat, I know that doesn't work for my body, and I'm scared to death to eat fat and get sick or be in pain again. What to do!?!?
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Flex ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I had mine out in 1982 (31 years ago). I was given no advice either way. At the time I weighed about 190 lbs. Over the years my weight went up and down and up up up until 2001 it was 376 lbs. I had periods where I did no sugar no flour and always felt better, but didn't stick with it until Jan 2001. I found Atkins quite by accident and did it for 3 years at which time I needed more structure with my food as I was eating too much. And I missed feuits and veggies. I have been doing this steuctured food plan for 10 years and lost the rest of my weight. I had a bout of IBS in 1993 and the doctor handed me the book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle." I followed the Specific Carb Diet to the letter and in 3 weeks, the symptons were gone. I have not had any recurrences and forget that I no longer have this useless organ, the gall bladder.

When I read the medical record after the GB surgery, it turns out my GB was fine. There were crystals in the GB. The illness I contracted with vomiting and diarrhea was as a result of eating avocadoes. Turns out I am allergic to them and only had them one other time about 6-7 years ago and got violently ill then too.

Today I eat 40-50% fat, 20-25% carb and 25-30% protein. It works so I am not going to mess with it now.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
I just had mine out this week in an emergency surgery, totally unexpected. Now I'm terrified to eat anything! I don't want to go low fat, I know that doesn't work for my body, and I'm scared to death to eat fat and get sick or be in pain again. What to do!?!?
I had my gallbladder out about 10 years ago. My doctor recommended that I eat 4-5 small meals and take probiotics to help my body adjust.

I never really got a chance to follow his advice as I ended up back in the hospital two weeks later for a couple week but. . .

I have never had problems eating fats since. I can totally sympathize about being scared of that pain though.

Maybe just take it slowly. I'm guessing you've eaten since yesterday morning.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

I did have a grilled chicken salad from McDonalds, with no dressing.... but wasn't able to keep it in. Sorry, TMI! I'm going to try again today and see what agrees with me.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
maybe start with some sf jello?
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #49
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I had mine out about 15 years ago after a long bout of LF dieting.

Other folks have said it here, but if you eat too LF for too long the bile doesn't leave your gallbladder so it sits and forms stones. Once the damage is done by LF and the stones are there, eating a high fat meal will trigger an attack.

I never had any issues once mine was gone. After my surgery they said to watch for extreme hunger at about 6 weeks out. I ate "normally" for about a month, then discovered low carb. I didn't notice the extra hunger, but was in ketosis at the 6 week mark.

I continued to have some digestive issues for a few years, but they went away when I gave up wheat.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Flex ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I have read that women who have given birth have a much higher rate of GB removal. Must be from the babies kicking and the odd ways we eat differently. LOL.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tgibbon45
Stats: 208/193.6/135
Start Date: 05/16/2013
No gallbladder since 1995 and I haven't had any issues doing lowcarb.
tgibbon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cclearriverfall
Stats: 395/265/220
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 1/1/10 restart May 2013
I had my gallbladder removed 2 summers ago and can eat fat and anything else without trouble so far!
cclearriverfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shespeaks
Stats: 5'2" & 41
WOE: Atkins-based LC, "eating to my meter" for Diabetes
Start Date: Restart 3/3/2014 - 199/191/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotay60 View Post
No gallbladder here. And, from what I have read, it is very possible that my low fat diet is what caused my gallbladder problems??????
I am not experiencing any problems with low carb.
This! Gallbladder came out in 1994 when I was thin and eating low-fat.

I've never had a problem eating low carb.
shespeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

So far, I've found that what the Dr. told me was totally not accurate for my body. Other than my first meal after surgery, everything else has been totally fine. I've almost completely resumed my same menu as before the surgery (no fat bombs yet, that scares me a little!), and I'm not having any problems. The Dr told me that if I didn't eat very low fat, I'd be sick. Not true so far.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Fingers crossed for you!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote