Old 03-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kenna85
Stats: 196/174/150
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: 18Mar2013
For those following the Atkins WOE - Lifetime Maintenance question

I fully understand that it's a YMMV type thing, but here's my question:

Have any of you followed the Atkins diet fully and properly, progressing up the Carb Ladder and adding in some of the allowable foods in phases 3/4 and had it work for you? Meaning, have you been able to maintain your healthy weight while enjoying beans, an occasional potato, peas, etc. I really love vegetables (one of the reasons this diet works so well for me) but I do miss peas and potatoes and beans and other lifetime maintenance items such as kiwi and watermelon.

Furthermore, if my body can maintain a steady (heavy) weight of 190 eating like total garbage (pre diet) then shouldn't it be possible to maintain my eventual healthy body at 140, but sticking to Atkins maintenance?

I should also point out that I really have no wish to return to carb slavedom, that I don't feel a need to ever eat loads of junk again (thanks Induction) but that I want to enjoy nominally healthy higher-carb foods someday. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance.

Thanks, y'all.
Kenna85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fsfty
Stats: 265/184/184 6'2" Start 6/9/11, Goal 12/9/11
WOE: Lifetime Maintenance
Start Date: June 9, 2011
I stayed in induction until i met my goal weight. Once at my desired weight, I slowly added healthy carbs until I figured out how many would allow me to stop losing, yet not gain. I do have higher carb veggies, not potatoes, but peas, carrots, etc. and i do have various nuts, greek yogurt, some fruit, beans on occassion, etc.

I was very nervous about adding carbs to maintain, but everything fell into place, and i still avoid almost all processed food. Whatever you do, do it slowly and be ready to adjust.
fsfty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Of course this is possible. I am not one that could eat those higher rung foods but I am sure lots do. Congrats on your weight loss so far and KUTGW!!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Yes, I did that and it works for me. I eat all sorts of higher carb vegetables like potatoes, carrots, beets, etc as well as fruits and different kinds of beans and I have been maintaining for several years now at goal.

I never really added many grains because I can take or leave them but I do eat bread occasionally (I like rye). I stayed away from all fake high carb products like lc breads during weight loss and now and I prefer to have 2 pieces of a real bakery bread with a few ingredients once in a while.

I sometimes will have buckwheat too.

I focused on adding back whole foods - so I have higher carb fruits and vegetables and beans, but not processed foods. When you start adding them be ready for a little weight gain since they might make you go out of ketosis.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 03-29-2013 at 09:03 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Yes absolutely. Unless you have a completely dysfunctional metabolism you should be able to tolerate a reasonable amount of carbs, including those ones high up on the carb ladder. For a lot of people, it is just a matter of reprogramming your metabolism to be able to deal with carbs better. I know for myself it was years of eating high sugar/processed foods and over-exercising that caused my issues. Plus a bit of genetics. Once I cut out sugar and processed foods I was able to maintain my weight, but I was overfat as a result of my previous poor diet. I went LC to get down to a weight that made more sense to me.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I am one of those people who is genetically unable to deal with carbs. Twice (40 years apart) I 'tested' for my CCL (critical carb level) as Dr. Atkins advised, and my appetite returns and I begin gaining weight beyond 25g a day.

However, my body seems to love low-carb eating, and I don't feel the least deprived. I also never say 'never' for any food. I have had the 'occasional' high-carb meal, but it's always planned, and I've evaluated the 'cost' to me.

This is the healthiest WOE for me, personally, but I doubt that most people who gravitate to low carb for weight loss are as sensitive to carbs as I am. The key is to climb that ladder and learn your personal limits in terms of carbs and foods.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
I think it's so individual. Depends on age, medical status, hormonal status, gender, etc.

In my case, I am very small, and am disabled with lung and bone disease..BUT...I can have some sweet potato, peas, carrots (not all in one DAY mind you, lol)...I cannot have beans, but I am allergic to them...

I will say I use weights and lift heavy as I can..many days that means using my tension straps instead of holding hand weights, and if I do that three days a week...on those days, after those workouts...yeppers...I'm betting I COULD eat just about anything (I don't do sugar, gluten, etc.) and alllll the way up to about 1900 cals.

I reserve my 'high carb' ventures to days I work out. I am no longer taking insulin (Type 2, with onset from meds/steroids), I am post meno, I am hypothyroid (well maintained on T4/T3)...I am an older woman...and I am at last healthy. Better late than never I suppose
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
For me? Yes, I can progress up the carb ladder and maintain. I choose not to, with the exception of the rare meal, because I am happiest around rung 4 or so and my cravings are nonexistent.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
My experience is pretty much the same as Leo41's. I am extremely sensitive to carbs and can't eat grains at all. But its ok. I love the diet I do eat. Its very low carb and very high fat, and for me, very satisfying. As long as I keep my carbs low, I can eat what I want and as much as I want. I read all these threads about weighing, measuring, and calorie counting and am grateful I don't have to mess with all that! I'm also diabetic and control my blood sugars with my diet. I guess its a trade off. I'd eat this way if I wasn't diabetic--the appetite and weight control are great, but not having to watch every bite I put in my mouth is what does it for me. To each his own!
Dr. William Castelli, a director of the Framingham Heart Study, (the longest running heart disease study), declared: "In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol...we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol,ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least, and were the most physically active"
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
Very individual I think.I kept mine stable for ages after I got slim in 2004 until I quit smoking.Apparently a sack of chips,a whole packet of biscuits and wine ever evening is not the healthiest cigarette replacement

Before I went crazy though I kept it off while eating the odd bit of high protein bread,potatoes,fruit etc.My mother on the other hand doesn't eat 'any carb she can see' but she still has to tweak her diet to get off the odd pound sometimes though.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:54 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anniemar
Stats: 176/139/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: jan10
I think as was said before...we're all different, with different triggers. Mine seems to be a habit of hibernation during winter and not getting enough exercise during the winter months. So....carb creep occurs and I have to tell myself to MOVE. I give myself a 5lb limit, then hunker down and get back on track. So..sticking with the correct foods isn't my downfall, but I've learned exercise plays an important part of keeping my weight in balance.
Anniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
I have been doing this soon going on 9 years. I still do not eat much that is higher carb except for an occasional sweet potato. I do however eat things like Joseph Pita wraps or maybe even a flat out wrap but not that often.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
It also has to do with your "history" with a food. I can tolerate eating a roll from a breadbasket without too much trouble calorie- or plan-wise, but my history with rolls is such that I seldom eat just one. My history with the breadbasket makes it better for me to "box it out" -- make it something I just don't eat. That way, I don't get bread cravings.

I don't have the same history with rice, so it's much safer for me to eat a serving of rice. Same carbs. Different history.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Actually rice and rolls are very different carbs--although I understand the point you're making about 'trigger' foods.

Rice is listed among the 'safer' starches, and it's not considered the 'problem' that grains are [e.g., Wheat Belly], and those rolls are surely from some variety of grains.

Personally, I can't handle either one, but most people have a much easier time with rice.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kenna85
Stats: 196/174/150
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: 18Mar2013
Thanks guys. This is helpful. You how your mind races with all the excitement when you first start and then all those doubts creep in? I was having a creeping doubt day, and this was seriously helpful.

The only thing I wish now is that the weight would come off sooner. But, I'm hypothyroid, on replacement hormone (ablation 2003). My entire family can really only lose on a low carb, high fat diet, so it's not surprising that I am the same. It's just going to have to be one day at a time, and for me, that's tough because I am seriously impatient.

On a good note, I was at Olive Garden last night and stuck to the diet religiously. My DH felt so sorry for me, but I felt happy.
Kenna85 is offline   Reply With Quote