LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ziva
Stats: 230/212/199/160/140
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: March 2013
heartburn city

So all this meat is giving me crazy heartburn. My tums have sugar. Any one else experience this? If so what is your solution?
ziva is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
Very interesting as my heartburn improves when I low carb...hmmm. Anyway, Tums makes a sugar-free version in orange flavor sweetened with sorbitol.
kitcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
My heartburn always improved with low carb, but hasn't been great (better than when eating carbs, but still getting it) while doing high fat/mod protein/low carb. I love this woe, though, so I just use baking soda instead of tums. If I'm gonna have carbs, they will not be wasted on tums! lol
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
I had heart urn pre low carbing, and I had to take amylase to reduce it. You can get it at health food shops. Amylase is one of the enzymes you use to digest foods in your stomach. The hydrochloric acid isn't the only one
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
I used to take milk for heartburn when I was pregnant and it worked quite well.I know it is really high carb but if you like the taste what about a few sips of half-and-half or heavy whipping cream?
Sometimes other things that are easier to reduce in your diet can make it worse.Coffee and soda are quite common aggravaters.It may help to reduce these,they may allow the meat to be digested a little easier.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I had this problem as well and it took me a long time to accept that I had to stop taking the otc medications that I had been using (zantac and tums). Google Chris Kresser and heartburn for some very informative reading.

In my case it took 2 full wks. to get relief. That was 2 yrs ago. My gerd is gone!! That is after years and years of suffering. I used to carry the large size tums in my purse.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Protein or fat related heartburn can be a symptom of low stomach acid.

Google 'acv low stomach acid'.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tammy2002
Stats: 173/143/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
I always improve eating low carb but another thing that really helps is Apple Cider Vinegar.
Tammy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I'd agree with the ACV recommendation My almost daily heartburn cleared up entirely once I started LC... at first it just tapered down to the occasional minor flare up, but since starting with ACV I haven't noticed it return at all. Tamed my tummy ick I'd get sometimes from the high fat content too it seems!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ziva
Stats: 230/212/199/160/140
WOE: Adkins
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the ideas. I'm going to give the baking soda a try, because I completely agree, if I'm going to have carbs they will not be wasted on tums. lol, and then talk to my dr later this week. I haven't told him about being on Adkins but I'm excited for him to see the weight loss last month. I think he will be surprised. Hope he is a supporter of this WOE....
ziva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
I'd agree with the ACV recommendation My almost daily heartburn cleared up entirely once I started LC... at first it just tapered down to the occasional minor flare up, but since starting with ACV I haven't noticed it return at all. Tamed my tummy ick I'd get sometimes from the high fat content too it seems!
Are you saying that you take it when you're not having heartburn? How often and how much, and how do you get it down? I was under the impression that people used acv when they had heartburn, to feel better, but I like the idea of using something to keep from getting it at all.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Are you saying that you take it when you're not having heartburn? How often and how much, and how do you get it down? I was under the impression that people used acv when they had heartburn, to feel better, but I like the idea of using something to keep from getting it at all.
I sure do! I make myself "tonics" with Braggs and my lemon flavored stevia drops, and drink them 3 times a day usually Definitely do NOT drink ACV straight, because it can burn your esophagus and cause all kinds of nasty problems. If you do drink it even diluted in water, you'll want to rinse your mouth out with some water (or else drink some water) afterward so you can prevent any potential damage to tooth enamel too... that stuff is strong!

I take a very tall glass and fill it with very cold water (if I had to guess, I'd assume the glass holds about 16oz maybe?) and then I add 2 teaspoons of ACV and about 5-6 drops of the lemon flavored stevia to it. Stir it up, and you're good to go! I actually love the taste of it too... it tastes like tangy lemonade to me

ACV has lots of other health benefits too supposedly (some say it aids in weight loss, clears up skin, helps with tummy distress, etc.) so I love drinking the tonics I mix up. It also seems to help me not to snack in between meals, and has taken the place of other artificially sweetened drinks I'd been drinking too... so for me it's worked out great!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I think I'll try this after I pick up some braggs. I have a couple of bottles of run of the mill ACV, but I know braggs is supposed to be great. Thanks for the explanation!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I think I'll try this after I pick up some braggs. I have a couple of bottles of run of the mill ACV, but I know braggs is supposed to be great. Thanks for the explanation!
No problem! And yes, definitely try Braggs! From what I understand, some people have talked about minimal successes with regular old ACV, but what really assists in the health benefits is "The Mother" that's in Braggs. I haven't tried regular ACV myself for anything other than my hair (it makes a great natural conditioner when mixed with water!) but the Braggs has been working great for me!