Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
On vacation at the Oregon Coast and food....

I live here in Oregon and am at the coast for a few days for Spring break with my son. I did a little research of the restaurant menu's at the places in town and while there is a lot of seafood..yum....everyone serves everything fried.

Soooooooo......I made myself a deal so that I will return home guilt free.....I can have one cup of clam chowder per day. Everything else clean.

We arrived this morning and I had had bacon and bulletproof coffee prior to leaving. For lunch we went to the famous Mo's restaurant who supposedly has the best clam chowder....NOT! I took a few bites, realized it had way too many potatoes and gave it to my son. My main dish was poached cod which was about a 6 oz. piece and delicious.

In the afternoon after taking the dog for a long walk on the beach, We went back to our hotel room where I snacked on some goodies I brought. For light meals, snacks etc. I brought:

Brie Cheese, almond bark I made, coconut oil, ranch dressing, cucumbers, bacon, chili lime almonds, macadamia nuts.....they have a mini fridge and microwave in the room. I snacked on some brie.

For dinner we went to an AMAZING restaurant on a cliff with floor to ceiling windows over the water.

When the server approached us I commented that most of the seafood was breaded and she asked if I was "gluten intolerant". I told her I wasn't but preferred my seafood unbreaded. That was hard because my favorite food on the planet is fried scallops....dang! I had the green curry with fresh shrimp, Oregon rockfish and vegetables....it was out of this world.....and a cup of clam chowder which this time was delicious.

Anyway, the moral of this long winded post is that I made the decision to allow myself one cup of chowder each day so I won't feel deprived while on vacation. I was afraid that if I didn't compromise with myself I would then want to eat everything I could get my hands on.

We'll see how this little experiment works out....I'm probably not in ketosis anymore....

Last edited by marieze; 03-27-2013 at 09:32 PM..
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Have fun on your trip
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 341/301.6/150
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: Hcg 1/5/13, LC 2/10/13
I think you're doing great! It is really hard to stay on plan when you are on vacation. Remember if this is a lifestyle change, then you aren't going to be on plan 100% of the time, but if you do your best and make healthy choices like you are doing then it will all work out in the end. You may be out of ketosis, but I don't think you will gain, imho. Have fun on your vacation!! (I'm so jealous )
TheSouthernPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hey, Marieze - IMO, you're approaching your vacation exactly as a person with a LC WOL should - mindfully. I believe it is unrealistic to start LC as a true way of life without thinking that there will be times when you truly want to go "off plan" and eat some carbier foods as a treat (like your clam chowder). That's not to say that we let our selves always be tempted by high carb foods every time some event occurs. Yes, most of the time we need to say "no" to the office birthday cake, the Christmas cookies, the chocolate Easter bunnies. Our lives are filled with "special" occasions all the time. We need to figure out a way to say yes sometimes, but no most of the time. You are on a special trip with your son. You decided AHEAD OF TIME that you would allow yourself clam chowder. You PLANNED AHEAD with satisfying LC treats that helped you to stick to your WOL most of the time, and you ASSERTED YOURSELF while eating out by asking how things were prepared, getting suggestions, and even trying new things that opened you up to new (LC) taste sensations! LC WOL is about truly MINDFUL eating. Eating what we know is best for us most of the time, and seeing off-plan treats as the occasional treats they are, while not feeling deprived and saying, "the h*** with this," and eating every fried scallop, french fry, and dessert in sight. Congratulations to you for approaching your trip in this way - you see this as a lifestyle and will be successful in your wt loss and maintenance with that attitude!!
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012

Sounds like you are having a great time! ITA with the above post. This is a lifetime way of eating, you are making choices that are right for you and you know what you will need to do to get back on track when you get home. Enjoy while you are there!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I REALLY appreciate all of your feedback....

We have returned home and here's what ended up happening.....I did have a scallop basket with fries one day and a "blizzard" the next and on the last day at breakfast I ordered kielbasa and eggs that came with the restaurants famous potatoes!

With the exception of the breaded scallops, and there were only 7 small scallops...I pretty much took a couple bites then chucked the rest. Everything sounded so good but I just can't eat that way or that much anymore.

I gave my son the kielbasa less one bite....thought the eggs were gross and left them, had a couple small pieces of the potato, gave them to my son and I was actually hungry when we left....so I got an iced tea and called it a day.

The blizzard was meh....couldn't care less about that. Anyway, when we got home, the next morning I weighed myself and I was down 2 pounds. It's probably because I did so much walking. Anyway, it really does seems that in my brain the food and menu's still have a lot of intrigue to me, but the reality is none of what I tasted that all had rave reviews was any better than I can make for myself AND make it low carb....good lesson!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
That's great ! Congrats on the weight LOSS on vacation ! Amazing
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote