Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Need Help! Going to Chinese Rest. on Friday! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800488-need-help-going-chinese-rest-friday.html)

ErinandEJ 03-27-2013 06:49 PM

Need Help! Going to Chinese Rest. on Friday!

Ok, I simply cannot eat chinese vegetables. Is there anything I can have that tastes good, and is relatively low carb? I am used to ordering Almond Chicken with Fried Rice and an Egg Roll. Thanks for any help you can give! My girlfriend is home from Georgia and this was our groups favorite place to eat!:confused:

rndiane 03-27-2013 07:29 PM

I'll probably get hate mail for this but last month I went out for Chinese food with my family and I decided to eat what I wanted. The next meal, I went right on low carb and have stayed there. I decided not to feel guilty about this and enjoy my favorite foods. Surprisingly, I could only eat half of what I use to. My stomach has shrunk and it takes less to feel full. I was back in ketosis by the next evening.

picklepete 03-27-2013 08:20 PM

The noodles and deep fried items are the most important to avoid. I can't think of any Chinese dish that doesn't have vegetables though.

raindroproses 03-27-2013 08:24 PM

Perhaps if you can find a dish doesn't contain breaded meat that has a light, not super sugary sauce, you'd be able to order that and ask that they minus the veggies and the corn starch? That'd be the only thing I could think of, although I'm not sure what dish would be good to recommend at that point. I'm not sure of the amount of sugar in cashew chicken or something similar but I know that's unbreaded chicken. Maybe something like beef with broccoli without broccoli if you don't like it? Minus the cornstarch and it won't be SUCH a carb bomb.

mamabear6 03-27-2013 08:43 PM

agree with raindropsroses, beef is your best bet at a chinese joint, as it is not breaded. Although, depending on the place, there could be a great variety of unbreaded seafood dishes if you're into that. Do you have an aversion to vegetables at all?

Julie1972 03-28-2013 05:18 AM

When I eat Chinese food I order steamed meat with broccoli and cauliflower. I get chicken, beef or shrimp. Then I add a little soy sauce. If I get delivery, then I add butter! I think most Chinese restaurants could accommodate a LC order pretty easily. Just be careful of their sauces as many contain corn starch! Good luck!

Annabel Lee 03-28-2013 07:20 AM

Chinese (Chinese American really) is one of the hardest for me to do on my WOE.
Even the mostly meat dishes, like beef and broccoli, often have added sugar.
My best advice is to eat before you go so that you can stop yourself from eating too much!
You may be hungrier the next day but as long as you don't give in to it and stick to your WOE I do believe you will be fine.

Yellobrix 03-28-2013 07:50 AM

We tend to choose the buffet style places, where there's typically a salad bar, as well as sushi & sashimi, and chilled shrimp, and then I also focus on the broiled seafood items. Most charge extra to include the seafood portion of the buffet, but for me, that's where many of the LC goodies are located. No rice, no noodles. Sometimes I allow myself an eggroll.

ErinandEJ 03-28-2013 09:22 AM

I'm not opposed to vegetables, I just don't want an order of steamed broccoli and clear won ton broth for my meal. I was thinking Moo Goo Gai Pan (probably mangled the spelling on that one!), which is mushrooms, snow peas and unbreaded chicken, but that darn sauce might be the hidden enemy!

raindroproses 03-28-2013 09:34 AM

All sauces at Chinese restaurants are either packed with sugar, with cornstarch, or with both. If you can ask for the sauce without cornstarch you'll be a lot better off at least!

clackley 03-28-2013 11:35 AM

I won't do it.... there is nothing that might tempt me to go off plan except maybe Chinese food restaurants. If I had to go anyway, I would eat before hand and order one thing that seemed low carb and then push it around my plate and not eat it.

mimivac 03-28-2013 12:10 PM

I order what seems to be the best choice and just go with it. Sure the sauces have cornstarch and sugar, but I don't sweat it. Usually I'll have hunan chicken and broccoli and maybe a soup.

fsfty 03-28-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie1972 (Post 16340805)
When I eat Chinese food I order steamed meat with broccoli and cauliflower. I get chicken, beef or shrimp. Then I add a little soy sauce. If I get delivery, then I add butter! I think most Chinese restaurants could accommodate a LC order pretty easily. Just be careful of their sauces as many contain corn starch! Good luck!

This is exactly what i do...

Strawberry 03-28-2013 01:12 PM

Do they have an online menu? That way you can look it over and decide ahead of time. They often include nutritional information on restaurant websites as well.

Ntombi 03-28-2013 11:37 PM

I just order something with non-breaded meat and a non-sugary sauce. I don't sweat a bit of corn starch in the sauce. I usually like a spicy sauce, and a lot of veggies, and I can always find something that works.

I drink a ton of water during and after eating it, and move on. :)

Gibbs 03-29-2013 04:33 AM

All this talk about Chinese food....yesterday was our anniversary and we went to the Chinese place. I sort of behaved, it's a 'work-o-rant' so the choices were open. I skipped all rice, noodle or breaded items. I did have a few salt and pepper shrimp, not sure what the light breading on them would cost me, but they're awesome. That is my crack when we go there, but I only had 5 of them. I know I had more than 20 carbs in that meal, but I'm pretty sure I did a decent job of control!!

Alcmene 03-29-2013 06:36 AM

Hi Erin, how about fooyung? Maybe a meat based one, so mostly you would be eating meat and eggs.

ErinandEJ 03-29-2013 10:16 AM

Ok, First of all, Thank you for all the advice! I love this site, it keeps me real with myself! I did eat ( life is gonna throw this at us once in awhile!), but I ended up eating won ton soup (only 1 won ton), and mushrooms snow peas and chicken. Tried to eat as little of the sauce as it came with and passed on the rice and left the egg roll sit (uggh, that was hard!!!!). So although I'm probably higher than I should be, darn it, I went, I ate, I conquered!!!!!:lol:

Gibbs 03-29-2013 10:31 AM

Awesome!!

Strawberry 03-29-2013 12:39 PM

GOOD JOB!!!!!

Ntombi 03-29-2013 02:40 PM

:clap: