Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What's with all the water? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800484-whats-all-water.html)

kiwistars 03-27-2013 07:08 PM

What's with all the water?

when did 'drink so much you are at risk of secondary drowning' come in?

I have books as late as 2 years before he died and they say 'try for 8 X 8 oz glasses of water' not 'force down over 12 of them'(205lb start weight =103 oz if you use these rules).

I couldn't do Atkins if I had to drink that much water.I would be sick.

Recent studies show no drinks are dehydrating other than alcohol so all drinks and wet veges like lettuce count in the 60-70 oz per day recommendations by health departments.
Even with less veges that is still just 8 X 8oz glasses.

Ntombi 03-27-2013 07:14 PM

There are different theories as to how much water should be drunk. I used to make myself drink at least a gallon. Now, I still drink a ton, but I don't aim for a specific amount.

Drinking a lot of water helps me not retain as much water, especially when I'm on meds that tend to do that (an issue for me, because I'm on a lot of meds, some of which cause water retention, and some of which typically cause weight gain). It also helps me distinguish between thirst, hunger, and just wanting to munch on something.

I try to get my hydration mostly via water, with other drinks acting as additions, not main hydraters. When I'm off plan I tend to drink a lot more soda, which isn't good for many reasons. When I'm on plan, if I want a soda, I drink a glass of water first, so that I can enjoy the flavor of the soda (if I still have it), and not simply gulp it down. Same with tea, iced and hot.

kiwistars 03-27-2013 07:20 PM

It just seems like everyone is instantly saying 'you must drink 100 to 110 oz a day' as the answer to everything on Atkins pages and I wondered where it came from as not even the health department suggests that much.Atkins certainly never did.

DiamondDeb 03-27-2013 07:25 PM

Oh, you would cringe if you knew how much I used to drink in one day! Talk about making the scale move! We could do it with water. :laugh:

I drink mostly water & I generally get close to a gallon in every day without working at it. That does not include coffee or tea. I'm active & want to stay hydrated. And cold water tastes good!

DiamondDeb 03-27-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwistars (Post 16340300)
It just seems like everyone is instantly saying 'you must drink 100 to 110 oz a day' as the answer to everything on Atkins pages and I wondered where it came from as not even the health department suggests that much.Atkins certainly never did.

You can find people who say you must drink this amount of water, that amount of water & you can also find those who say you really don't need to drink any at all because diet coke counts.

People tend to get very enthusiastic when something works for them & they want everyone else to do the same. The only rule is do what works for you.

kiwistars 03-27-2013 07:30 PM

isn't an American gallon about 125oz?

wow that is close to unsafe levels.You can die from too much water.If you are peeing clear you are drinking too much .It should have a yellow tint like pale straw.

DiamondDeb 03-27-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwistars (Post 16340328)
isn't an American gallon about 125oz?

wow that is close to unsafe levels.You can die from too much water.If you are peeing clear you are drinking too much .It should have a yellow tint like pale straw.

A gallon has 128 oz. It is not unhealthy at all. I don't drink it in one sitting. It is just what I drink spread out over the entire day.

I'm not worried at all about drinking too much water. It is extremely difficult to do. I am more concerned with being dehydrated.

kiwistars 03-27-2013 07:47 PM

It can seriously disrupt the electrolyte balance to drink that much.It is a myth coming directly from bottled water companies advertising.There is no science behind drinking lots of water at all.
Drink when you are thirsty not when someone else tells you that you should.

clackley 03-27-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwistars (Post 16340360)
It can seriously disrupt the electrolyte balance to drink that much.It is a myth coming directly from bottled water companies advertising.There is no science behind drinking lots of water at all.

:goodpost:

DiamondDeb 03-27-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwistars (Post 16340360)

My electrolytes are fine. I am in no danger - that is a myth - but I do appreciate your concern.

Hayek 03-27-2013 08:14 PM

I drink around 128oz a day as well and have no negative effects from it. No "water intoxication" or imbalances. And since I don't drink bottled water, the corporate paranoia motive isn't a factor. I drink when I want to and am quite happy with the personal choices I've made as to what and how much I consume.

rndiane 03-27-2013 08:33 PM

I never count the oz of water I drink. I drink when I am thirsty. I have noticed I do drink more being in ketosis because I am thirsty more often.

CurveControl 03-27-2013 08:34 PM

It is pretty hard for an adult to get water intoxication, Most at risk are athletes who sweat and then replace with just water, but that is extreme and again, very very rare. Most adults (Serious Athletes) who sweat enough to put themselves in danger also know about electrolytes. Chronic dehydration is much more common and much more dangerous. IMO it is a non issue for anyone over the age of 2 who is not a professional athlete or serious marathon runner.

raindroproses 03-27-2013 08:35 PM

Well, I think the words "too much" are really subjective honestly. It's personal to each individual. What may be too much for you, may be perfect for someone else. For instance, DiamondDeb mentioned she's quite active and drinks when she feels compelled to... someone who's very active will require more water than someone who's mostly sedentary. This also doesn't take into account someone's potential medical history, their diet (how much salt, etc.), and other factors.

So while I agree that someone saying "you must consume X amount of water a day" on the Atkins board is rather subjective and judgy and potentially bad advice... I think the same can be said for your "If people don't want to believe too much water is risky" comment. Just because DiamondDeb and others drink more than you do in a given day doesn't mean it's risky. Can it be? Sure, if you're forcing it down. But everyone's bodies have different needs and it's likely hers are just different than yours.

My PCP also advises that urine should be pale yellow to clear actually, so he doesn't seem to be alarmed by my level of hydration either... and I drink over 8 glasses a day normally on my own without forcing it or counting. It's probably more like 10-11 glasses, and this seems to keep me at peak health/energy on a regular basis.

Different strokes for different folks and all that!

Just my two cents :)

picklepete 03-27-2013 09:15 PM

I agree, I've never seen any source besides ads for Dannon bottled water.

Minimizing stress is more important than meeting yet another daily quota IMO.

reddarin 03-27-2013 09:16 PM

Drinking lots of water has been around for decades. I remember Mom trying to drink x number of glasses back in the 70s. It probably got started back when the faux science of low fat got its legs.

I've seen the bottle water companies encouraging it but it is more about exploiting a populist notion of more water is better. I don't think they started the trend.

But I do remember when carrying around something to drink, water or soda or whatever, was unusual. These days its hard to find a car without a water bottle or soda cup not in the cup holder. Heck, having a cup holder used to be a luxury item lol. Wow. I feel old.

kimberlyann11 03-28-2013 03:56 AM

Hi Kiwistars - check out Snopes - they have some good info about that myth. (and even the eight glasses doesn't have any scientific basis that anyone can point to). I do think people on Atkins drink more because they are thirstier - and lowcarb tends to dehydrate you somewhat.

Ntombi 03-28-2013 04:20 AM

When I first started Atkins about eleven years ago, the number going around was that one should drink half their body weight in ounces. Still quite a bit, but more reasonable than twice as much. :laugh:

I think drinking enough water--actual water, not liquids--is important, but I don't have a target number for "enough," other than light yellow to very pale urine.

Hydration is a big issue, and dehydration can also lead to cognitive issues. I've been dealing with that with a family member. There were already some issues, and chronic dehydration made things measurably worse. The person was drinking other things, including coffee and tea, and eating soups and plenty of fruits and vegetables, which all have moisture, but the lack of enough water led to real problems.

peretroika 03-28-2013 04:39 AM

I drink a lot of water because I'm always thirsty. Your body is different from my body is different from anyone else's body! I don't think anyone can tell you exactly how much to drink.

I would say- if you are not drinking a lot of water but are drinking a lot of other stuff, that could be a problem.

baileygirl3 03-28-2013 04:55 AM

I agree with the post above, on lc I am more thirsty so I tend to drink more water...of course there are days when I have more water then others. Water seems to satisfy me.

Mrs_Potato_Head 03-28-2013 05:33 AM

Water isn't really complicated. The best way of knowing how much to drink is to look at your urine. Drink enough to make it a pale yellow colour, there are colour charts you can find by doing a google image search. The ammount is different for everyone. The best argument for keeping hydrated is if you don't drink enough water, your body will recycle the water from your bowel. Besides making your poo hard and difficult to excrete, it also means the water from your bowels is then circulating in your body. Lol, thats the thought that really makes me down water.

NH_Free 03-28-2013 08:08 AM

I grew up hearing "64 oz. a day" because you need that much for your sinuses and digestion to work at peak efficiency. I have no idea what the source of that info was (my mother got it from somewhere). I never drank that much because I don't like water, but I had chronic sinus problems that got worse as I got older.

When I first started Atkins, I forced down the 64 oz. a day because the scale went down faster. But after a couple weeks, my sinus problems miraculously went away and I even stopped snoring. The same thing happened for my husband. So we aim for 64 oz. a day.

For me, personally, diet soda doesn't replace water. My scale wouldn't budge for days when I didn't drink any water and my sinus problems come roaring back after about a week of drinking waist watcher's instead of water.

avid 03-28-2013 08:50 AM

The first time i heard about a minimum water requirement was when the stillman diet first became popular.
It makes some sense, because his diet is high protein and so the water was necessary to keep the system flushing so as not to overload the kidneys. His requirement was for 8 glasses of 8 oz. in addition to whatever may be ingested via veggies etc. Or at least that is my recollection. I can tell you from own experience that I dont retain water like I used to. (I represent the anecdote referring to racehorses) and water helps with my keto breath, so i drink alot, but usually not plain water, actually very little. I'm kinda partial to Arizona diet green tea w/ ginseng......I add filitered water to each glass, but drink alot of this diluted mixture every day.

jeaniem 03-28-2013 10:11 AM

I drink when thirsty and sometimes more when I am trying to lose some carb bloat. One thing that really irks me is when a diet book states that water will fill me up. NOT, actually drinking water beyond my normal thirst level makes me hungrier.

abby! 03-28-2013 12:18 PM

I've only heard of one person who died of water intoxication, a radio contestant who was trying to drink as much as possible in a competition. Dehydration, however, is a very real problem plaguing many even in nations where clean water is a plenty. When I make the effort to drink more water, I see the positives from my skin to my digestion to my overall feeling of well-being. If the "drink when thirsty" worked, we would not have dehydrated people. Some people don't feel the thirst even when dehydrated. I do agree that watching the color of your urine is a good place to monitor this.

trishthedish 03-28-2013 03:04 PM

I agree that YMMV. I tend to shoot for the old standard of 64 ounces a day just because a basic human biology class will clarify that your body needs water to function at optimum health.

However, I have noticed that I personally lose weight more consistently and feel less bloated drinking just 40 ounces a day.:dunno:

Just like nutritional plans, our bodies are so individual and each of us must do what works best for us and not worry about what works for others.

Rhubarb 03-28-2013 05:19 PM

I have electrolyte issues which got worse when I was following the advice to push water. So, for me, there is some truth is the idea that drinking too much water can affect your electrolytes. Like a lot of people here, I take magnesium and when I added some salt, some avocado and started just drinking to my thirst, my electrolyte issues went away. (Unless I drink alcohol ... dehydration brings them back.)

I naturally drink between 100 and 120 oz a day. But I have to say that I've always drunk a lot of water, even before LC. I'm just a thirsty girl.

My LC water experience says that if you are drinking too much water you'll know it.

Tammy2002 03-29-2013 11:31 AM

I drink about 160 oz of pure water/day. and then, as a "reward", I drink 1 can of diet coke at night. I've been doing so for years and I just don't feel right unless i'm drinking that much water. I work out 4-5 times/day as well so I feel that I need that water and still have strength of weight-training and cardio so my electrolytes must be okay.:dunno:

Heheher 03-29-2013 01:12 PM

I only drink when I'm thirsty and don't force anything and I drink way more than a gallon. I make a gallon of green tea (brewed and sweetened with stevia) every day. I Sri k it all plus SEVERAL glasses (20 ounces eah) of ice water straight from the faucet. I've done this for years. Never had any problems. I don't sweat much and don't use the bathroom an extreme amount....maybe once every couple of hours.

Strawberry 03-29-2013 01:35 PM

Water needs are EXTREMELY varied. A single number guideline cant apply to everyone.

Obviously weight/size is a big factor - a 250 lb 6'5'' male is going to need a lot more than a 110 lb 5'1'' female.

We also tend to forget about weather and humidity. When you live at 90% humidity in Florida you dont need as much as 15% humidity in dry Arizona! And then obviously living in a cold place you wont sweat as much as a warm place.

Its really silly to worry about a specific number 64 oz or a gallon or whatever. This stuff is highly individual.

As long as you arent forcing down gallons in a hour or running a marathon and then chugging pure water, you really dont need to worry about water intoxication.