Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I thought I did well... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800477-i-thought-i-did-well.html)

Gibbs 03-27-2013 04:05 PM

I thought I did well...

We went to the Olive Garden. I didn't have breadsticks which was tough. I had the salmon with broccoli, but I had 2 servings of salad, no crutons, no tomato. I just looked up the dressing, 2 Tbsp is 22 carbs!! Seriously??? Tell me it ain't so!!

raindroproses 03-27-2013 04:11 PM

Ouch! What kind? That sounds like a vinaigrette of some sort... they're awful :sick:

I always stick to caesar, ranch, or blue cheese anymore... everything else is generally to carby for me :annoyed:

DiamondDeb 03-27-2013 06:13 PM

Wow, I was thinking that sounds like the perfect thing to order!

That was the regular dressing they put on the big salads, wasn't it? What in the world is in the dressing?

That is the same number of carbs I had today - all day. But I ate lots of veggies and got some fiber in there, too.

Ntombi 03-27-2013 06:19 PM

I always always always check the online menu of any large chain. I can even do it on my smartphone while I'm there, if need be. Dressings are often a trouble area, because most are LF, which means high sugar. :(

Otherwise, you did great!

kitcub 03-27-2013 06:48 PM

Oh, hold on there a minute! When I look up the nutritional info on the Olive Garden website, it says 11 g. carbs per serving for the salad - croutons and all. I found a nutritional listing for just the dressing on another site that lists the dressing as 3 g. carbs per 2 TB serving. I don't think it was as bad as you thought.

That said, I know quite a number of low carbers that ask for dressing on the side when they eat in a restaurant - and then pull their own dressing out of their purse!

raindroproses 03-27-2013 07:43 PM

Hopefully kitcub is right! 11g with the croutons still added seems MUCH more reasonable... hopefully you'll be safe after all Gibbs :)

Jessica1129 03-27-2013 08:04 PM

Their dressing is 2 carbs for 2 TBSP. I looked at the bottle last time we ate there. When you're inside, you can ask for a "nutritional menu" it has all of their nutritional info for everything they have.

Gibbs 03-28-2013 01:14 AM

This morning I'm up 3# BOOOOO

Lesson learned, always look even though you think it's ok!!

Ntombi 03-28-2013 02:11 AM

Sorry. :( it'll be gone in a day or so. Drink plenty of water to flush the retention out of your system.

Meli-Mel 03-28-2013 09:39 AM

You did do well. And keep in mind that what you eat yesterday does not turn into fat today. The dressing has a ton of sodium in it, so that may account for the scale increase as well as daily weight fluctuations. You made excellent choices.

Knittering 03-28-2013 10:04 AM

You made really good choices and I'm sure you're just up water weight from the salt. :)

Gibbs 03-28-2013 10:49 AM

Thanks all! I am proud of myself for avoiding the bread sticks and ordering the salmon. I was hoping to go somewhere I could get surf-n-turf, but this was just as good. Next time, just a side salad with ranch, and yes, I'll take my own!

tinamanni 03-28-2013 02:08 PM

Olive Garden is the worst - you walk in and gain weight. I do anyway. It's sooooo hard to eat there because even the lettuce is overly carby. No not really but almost everything has carbs you wouldnt expect :( It's one of the few restaurants I make myself avoid. You did way better than I ever do

Strawberry 03-28-2013 06:25 PM

The dressing is fine.... its only 2 carbs per 2 tbsp. I eat it all the time.

Your weight is probably up because restaurant meals are always salty, and the salt causes you to retain water. relax! sounds like you did fine!

biancasteeplechase 03-28-2013 06:35 PM

The last time I went to an Olive Garden, they were able to give me a listing of all the nutritional info. I bet I had the same salmon dish you did. (I'd looked it up online beforehand when my friends told me where they were planning to go, but it was nice that the restaurant had something you could look at alongside the menu.)

zombiegoat2000 03-30-2013 03:33 PM

Sounds good to me but when in doubt bring your own dressing, I do I have no shame in my game plus it taste way better!:yummy: