Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gungadinn1997
WOE: atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Soooo confused!

Long story short, I lost 42 pounds last year on weight watchers, then quit smoking, quit ww and gained it all back. Now I'm researching,trying to decide what type of diet to follow. DH was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic in december and is 95% low carb now. I just don't know which way to turn anymore. I don't like fruits at all, i like minimal veggies, obviously like junk food...

i keep seeing how bad wheat products are for you. My head says "low carb" so I start, then binge after a few days on junk...

Any suggestions, any help would be sooo very appreciated! I'm just sooo confused!
gungadinn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Yes.

Google 'jimmy moore julia ross' for a two great podcasts about beating carb addiction. Dr. Ross has a couple of books that might help you too. The Diet Cure and The Mood Cure. I think she said her site has most of the diet information available for free.

One is episode 19 on the ATLCX podcast and the other is episode 266 on the LLVLC podcast.

Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis is the book to read about the awful nature of modern wheat.

Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes is a great book to get your head on straight about why LC is the way to live.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
If you enjoy things like meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, cream, etc. I'd also recommend you check out the Nutritional Ketosis board. I found that once ketosis occurred in my body all of those cravings for the junky foods went away almost entirely. That's the thing about starchy carbs... we don't really realize it until we cut them out, but eating them actually makes us CRAVE them even more, and that in turn for many leads to overeating and binging.

Nutritional Ketosis has been fantastic for me... no more cravings and I'm hardly ever hungry in between meals anymore. I'd definitely give it a shot and see if you can power through those first few days. They're always the toughest, while the carbs work their way out of your system/your system switches over to your new WOE.

Good luck to you! Low carb can be VERY rewarding if you can summon up the strength to get through the beginning
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thank you reddarin! All of those are on my to read lists!

raindroproses....I do great on those foods, until I slip once,then its an all out binge!

Thank you both for taking the time to answer me!!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
Early Atkins(the 1972 book) also kills those cravings fast if NK is a little too complicated for you(Some find it that way)
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Be sure you are consuming fat - particularly when the urge to binge comes. The best food for satisfying (in my opinion) is a couple of eggs, scrambled with a couple of tbsp of hwc, cooked in butter and then topped off with a pat of butter. It is amazing!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thank you kiwistars and clackley! I am reading, reading, and reading! I've done sooo many diets over the years and everyone has a different opinion on whats healthy, it just gets soo confusing!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I'll give a shout out for JUDDD No food restrictions and a lot of flexibility-very doable for weight loss and long term maintenance This site has an awesome JUDDD section in the Weight Loss section-check it out!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Basically it comes down to what feels right,makes sense to you and fits your lifestyle.

The best diet in the world is no good if you dread it or can't understand half of it or only do it on weekends...
Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

mom23kids....I have been reading everything here about JUDDD I thought that it might be the answer to my feelings of being deprived...I did one down day, which went great, then the ud became an all out binge! I think it would be great for me after I get control on the binges, maybe more of a maintenance plan for me.

kiwistars, you are absolutely correct. And that is the problem I am having which is why instead of continuing to lurk like I have done for years, I finally chose to reach out for help.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:49 AM   #11
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadinn1997 View Post
mom23kids....I have been reading everything here about JUDDD I thought that it might be the answer to my feelings of being deprived...I did one down day, which went great, then the ud became an all out binge! I think it would be great for me after I get control on the binges, maybe more of a maintenance plan for me.

kiwistars, you are absolutely correct. And that is the problem I am having which is why instead of continuing to lurk like I have done for years, I finally chose to reach out for help.
There' a few here who do a combination of lc and JUDDD, it's pretty easy to customize JUDDD to your individual needs/lifestyle
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
If you're interested in the mind/food connection, you may want to see if you can get The Thin Commandments from your library. It has some really good ideas on how to identify trigger foods (determine your "history" with a food) and how to deal with them. You can "box them in", by making rules that limit where or how you can eat them (like allowing dessert but only in a restaurant, or on a holiday), or "box them out" by choosing to not eat them at all. It also has some great tips for dealing with right-now cravings.

No matter what plan you follow, there are mind-food connections that can help you succeed on your plan.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

there was another book people were talking about. 'Brain to binge' or something?

There was a thread by that name.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistars View Post
there was another book people were talking about. 'Brain to binge' or something?

There was a thread by that name.
Brain Over Binge. The author is coming from the perspective of a bulimic, but even though I never purged I definitely learned a lot about binging. She goes through a lot of the mental aspects of binging, and ends with behavior therapy (how to change ingrained habits).

It is one of my four go-to books on the mental aspects of weight loss. It's number four of the four, but it does have some interesting things to offer. You might want to look a the Amazon reviews to get a feel for whether it might help you.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

That was the one, thank you

I am lucky that apparently I have not(but not through lack of trying)damaged my metabolism too much so my body responds well to low carb and reasonably fast but even so some things easily trigger binges for me.
If I give in and sneak a cheat food I am better off with a slice of bread than a piece fruit for example.Both make me 'fidgety hungry' for days but fruit I can't stop at one.
I am trying to teach myself this is a WOL not a 'diet' and I am only cheating myself if I cheat.
It isn't that easy though so any book or theory that helps...
Old 03-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadinn1997 View Post

Hey, gunga - a bit over 2 yrs ago, I started a LC lifestyle. I wanted to lose weight and look better, of course, but after just turning 50, I was determined to improve my health BEFORE it got so bad that I had to turn to medication. I saw my mom develop type II diabetes in her 50s and today she needs insulin shots before every meal and her overall health is a wreck - strokes, mobility issues, etc. Long story short, I lost over 20 lbs with a LC lifestyle and felt SOOOOO much better overall. However, feeling sometimes deprived, I thought I'd check out the JUDDD lifestyle. My plan was to continue primarily LC, but add a few treats in on my Up days. Initially, I, too, had the out of control eating for a while on my up days, but eventually this became more manageable and the down days got easier (but never easy). With JUDDD, I made it to my goal wt in late spring of 2012. Today, I am back to LC on a daily basis - trying to be very strict - as my foray into carbier eating on my JUDDD Up days led to more and more carbs and FOR ME, really out of control carb eating every day. I fell into that maintenance mentality that I could now treat myself more often, rather than keep treats still as occasional TREATS as are meant to be. I've gained back 8 pounds over my goal. I loved JUDDD for the flexibility, but for me personally, allowing certain carbs back in, particularly sweets and wheat based items, were my downfall. My plan now is to stick to LC combined with portion control and get my cravings under control - I'm pretty much there now. I'd like to do a fat fast for a week to give my body a bit of a jolt (Dana Carpender has a great ebook cookbook on fat fasting, by the way), and go back to JUDDD in a more mindful way: staying away from wheat, maybe a VERY occasional sweet treat, like ice cream, and some additional carbier veggies, legumes and perhaps oatmeal on my Up days. I have to say that LC totally agrees with my body. I love meat, fat, veggies (and it goes without saying that I love my carbs way too much!), so this WOL has been much less of a struggle than my former low fat, low cal days that only led me back, eventually, to even higher weights and a defeated attitude. So after all this blathering, my message to you is you will have to figure out what works for you not only now to get the weight off, but what you can stick to long term, as a way of life, not just another "diet." You are fortunate that your husband has already adopted a primarily LC lifestyle for his health. You will be a great support for each other if you go that route with him, and I have no doubt you will reap great benefits. Good luck, and come to this forum often!!
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Thank you again everyone! I've spent a good part of the weekend digging through my stash of books I've accumulated over the years and doing lots of reading! I've decided I can do anything for 2 weeks, so tomorrow starts induction from the 2002 book! The Easter Bunny also brought me The Wheat Belly book instead of a basket of junk this year, so that is my next read! I'm gonna keep it simple and get back to posting here on a regular basis like I did once upon a time, join some challenges and make some new friends!

Thank you all very very much for all of your help!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
. Dr. Ross has a couple of books that might help you too.
A pet peeve of mine, misrepresented credentials - She only has an MA, so she is not a doctor of anything.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
A pet peeve of mine, misrepresented credentials - She only has an MA, so she is not a doctor of anything.
Right. My mistake. Well, here are her credentials from her Recovery Systems Clinic site:

Quote:
ABOUT JULIA ROSS, M.A., M.F.T.

Julia Ross is the founder and Executive Director of The Recovery Systems Clinic. She is internationally recognized as a pioneer in the field of nutritional psychotherapy. Her work has identified the key physiological causes of depression and anxiety, overeating, and addiction. More importantly, she and the Clinic’s team of nutritionists, psychotherapists, and physicians have developed the innovative and effective solutions to these problems that are detailed on this site.

Julia began directing treatment programs for adults and adolescents in 1980 and has founded and directed seven programs in the San Francisco Bay Area since then. Her early work alerted her to the limitations of psychotherapy and drug therapy and led her to investigate research on nutritional therapy and to incorporate it into a new, holistic model of treatment.

Julia is the author of The Diet Cure and The Mood Cure, both based on The Recovery Systems Clinic’s successful programs. Her books have sold well in the US, UK, and Australia, and are being translated into Japanese and German. Julia has frequently been featured on radio, television and in print. She has presented at hundreds of professional conferences internationally and trains health professionals throughout the US in the nutritional therapy methods developed at the Clinic.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Even better! When I saw "Dr. Ross" I thought she had gone back to school to get a phd or md.

I remember when her first book came out about 10 yrs ago- I was a big fan but in the end, I don't like how she overhypes supplements and sets up expectations that are way too high with her spiel "he took this supplement and changed dramatically from suicidal into happy in 30 mins in my office".

Last edited by nolcjunk; 04-01-2013 at 02:37 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote