Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 5'3" 182.6/??/160(1st goal)eventually 130-140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/25/13
How does a hysterectomy affect weight loss on atkins?

i am having a hysterectomy on Tuesday 4/1. I do get to keep my ovaries. I am having it done with the divinci robot.

i know to expect to be blown up with gas during the surgery and will be releasing it for a few days after surgery. so my weight will probably go up.

but overall, what have been your experience post-hysterectomy? weight gain or weight loss? slow losing? slow gaining? i will not need hormones or be in menopause because i get to keep the ovaries.

i just can't afford to gain anymore weight. fortunately i weigh on monday (the day before) and won't weigh again til the next Monday when i will attempt to return to work.

any opinions?
DeterminedMomWithKids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
for an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery. That's cool about the robot
I suggest you not even step on a scale for a month after the surgery.
When your body is healing, it tends to do some wacky things! So let it handle it's job, and just eat "right" and don't weigh.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LESESKI
I had my hysterectomy 3 yrs ago. Your abdomen will be swollen but that is due to the gas they pump in you and also bruising. It will slowly go down on its own. You might gain weight from the IV fluids but after a couple of days that will go away too. You most likely will not feel too hungry for several days after surgery due to the medications given. I hope all goes well for you.
LESESKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hockeymom48183
Stats: 227/227/150
I am 12 days post op today! So far the entire experience has been great. I also decided to keep my ovaries and my surgery was done with the Davinci Robot. All 4 incisions are completely healed and I've honestly had very little pain. The only rough part I experienced was the gas pain but walking definitely helped.

I ended up gaining 15lbs due to water retention which is now gone and I started working out a few days ago. My doctor cleared me to walk and use the elliptical machine at the gym.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers =D
Hockeymom48183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Since you're keeping your ovaries, there shouldn't be much long term effect. When I had my hysterectomy 6 years ago (kept ovaries), I lost weight initially because I couldn't eat the nasty hospital food, then I was too out of it to eat. Keeping your digestive system moving along well is the biggest challenge! Good luck, and remember that most women recover very well, reasonably quickly, and are happier afterwards.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I had mine Dec 27th. I kept the one and only ovary I had and everything else went. I don't know if my problems losing weight are directly related to the Hyster or not but yeah I've been having problems. I also have a Thyroid problem so it could be related to That too. lol. I haven't had any hot flashes or mood problems.
Good luck with your surgery! Just take it easy and Rest a Lot afterwards
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: AngelaL
Stats: fat/thin/fatagain/wearing a size 10
Start Date: 5/9/2000
My 50 pound Atkins weight loss was years after my hysterectomy.

With that being said, your doctor should prepare you for the possibility of ovarian failure after hysterectomy. This happened to me, in my early 30s, and is very common. Not as drastic as surgical menopause with ovarian removal.
AngelaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeterminedMomWithKids View Post
i am having a hysterectomy on Tuesday 4/1. I do get to keep my ovaries. I am having it done with the divinci robot.

i know to expect to be blown up with gas during the surgery and will be releasing it for a few days after surgery. so my weight will probably go up.

but overall, what have been your experience post-hysterectomy? weight gain or weight loss? slow losing? slow gaining? i will not need hormones or be in menopause because i get to keep the ovaries.

i just can't afford to gain anymore weight. fortunately i weigh on monday (the day before) and won't weigh again til the next Monday when i will attempt to return to work.

any opinions?
4/1 is a Monday. Just in case it's Monday...
Wishing you an easy surgery and easy, full recovery.
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: djksin
Stats: 275/255/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2/10
I have had just like princessmommy, both hyster w/1 ovary and thyroid issues. I have found that I have to keep up my iodine content. I went back on Atkins after the surgey was long over, several times, and have found for me that if I keep up with iodized salt, which I don't normally use salt, I stop cravings, mood swings, and funnily enough fatigue isn't as bad. Just thought I'd share.

Last edited by djksin; 03-28-2013 at 05:49 AM..
djksin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
for an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery. That's cool about the robot
I suggest you not even step on a scale for a month after the surgery.
When your body is healing, it tends to do some wacky things! So let it handle it's job, and just eat "right" and don't weigh.
Thank you so much.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LESESKI View Post
I had my hysterectomy 3 yrs ago. Your abdomen will be swollen but that is due to the gas they pump in you and also bruising. It will slowly go down on its own. You might gain weight from the IV fluids but after a couple of days that will go away too. You most likely will not feel too hungry for several days after surgery due to the medications given. I hope all goes well for you.
if i'm not hungry i'll just have to eat small things like some deviled eggs and chicken broth. i hope i feel like eating, just not a lot. i'm afraid of that thing they call starvation mode.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeymom48183 View Post
I am 12 days post op today! So far the entire experience has been great. I also decided to keep my ovaries and my surgery was done with the Davinci Robot. All 4 incisions are completely healed and I've honestly had very little pain. The only rough part I experienced was the gas pain but walking definitely helped.

I ended up gaining 15lbs due to water retention which is now gone and I started working out a few days ago. My doctor cleared me to walk and use the elliptical machine at the gym.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers =D
12 days? that's great. my doc says 2 weeks. he knows i plan on going back to work on 4/8 (i'm a teacher). he said just take it easy and if i can't handle it to take the rest of the week off. i can teach from a stool and overhead projector if i need to take it easy. i'll make the kids pass out whatever i need.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

i'm sorry, i don't know to quote everyone. i just want to say thanks to each and every one of you for your information. i'm just deathly afraid of gaining weight in the weeks, months, and years to come. i can't afford it. i weigh too much as it is.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Starvation mode only occurs after restricting calories constantly for weeks and weeks on end. You wont go into starvation mode from a simple hysterectomy.

Just be prepared that your weight will go up from water retention and swelling related to the surgery. Give it a good week or two to go away. It wont affect true fat loss.

After that, not having the uterus (but having normal ovaries) should not affect your weight loss.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
Start Date: October 2009
I had a hysterectomy in Oct. I kept my ovaries also. Although I am in maintenance instead of weight loss, I did not have a weight gain. Maybe a poound or two post op, but overall, and even today, I am 3-4 lbs less than my pre-op weight, with no change in eating habits.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pri17cess72
Stats: 180/in progress/130 5'5"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Re-start again October 21 2013
Hi. I had davinci hysterectomy on jan 25. I gained 10 lbs from surgery with water weight etc. it came off in 4 weeks. The first 2 weeks I was focused on healing and not low carb so I'm sure it could have come off faster. I wish you well with surgery. I've been lc for 8 weeks lost about 15lbs and it seems to be coming off slower than in the past but I feel good! Best of luck.
pri17cess72 is offline   Reply With Quote