Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
What would you do?

Whenever I see a post from anyone on here or other sites related to health / diet and they say I am starting this new eating plan on Monday, I always reply saying “why wait, start today”!

Well I am kind of in the same place and asking all your advice please, and what would you do in same circumstances.

I fell off the LC bandwagon a couple of weeks back. I have tried to eat below TDEE calories and have been mostly successful, although I have still gained back around 5lbs (I assume due to eating carbs and glycogen stores??)

I want to get back on to eating low carb and get the weight moving in the right direction. Normally I would just say right, do it today and give myself a kick up the backside and do it today. But I have a lot of family coming to visit over the Easter weekend, especially on Sunday when I am making a curry for everyone along with Easter cupcakes.

If I was a few weeks in to LC I wouldn’t worry as I know my appetite would be reduced and I wouldn’t be having cravings, but if I get my shopping in today for LC, I will be 3-4 days in to LC and probably not in to ketosis.

I don’t know why I am making such a deal out of this , but keep going to and fro between waiting until Monday or going shopping today and starting in the morning (already after 11am here in UK).

So what would you do in same circumstances please??

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I know exactly how you feel. But LC has become a way of life for many people on here. In my opinion, if you are going to do it to lose weight effectlvely you have to make it a lifestyle, because it takes a really long time to lose bodyfat, and in order to maintain a low body weight, you also have to be on a plan that is more of a lifestyle.

Having said that, what I would do is figure out how to make your meals that you have planned low carb. For example a chicken curry dish can easily be made low carb. It just has to contain a lot of fat and protein. You can spread it over cauliflower instead of rice. I just made that for a pot luck I had to go to and funny thing was that all the non LC people loved it. Next time I have to make a lot more of it! Cupcakes can also be done LC. If you use an artificial sweetener. For example you can use flaxseed meal or almond flour (I would used golden flaxseed), baking powder and eggs. And then ice them with an icing made with an artificial sweetener. I've never tried it but I have made bread with the flaxseed meal. Maybe someone else can chime in with a recipe that works, you may have to experiment. The recipe for bread that I use is this:

1/4 cup flaxseed meal (golden for cupcakes)
1 large egg
1/2 tsp baking powder
small pinch salt

Bake at 350F for 10 to 15min. I think you have to lightly grease the pan too. That would make 1 large cupcake, so you would need to increase the batch to make more. And of course you would probably have to add splenda or another sweetner, or something to make it taste more like a cupcake. But I would definitely experiment.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
There is always going to be some occasion and celebration that is looming. When is the 'best' time ever going to be aside from now?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I hear you. but y'know there are always 'good reasons' aka excuses not to do what we know is right and healhty for us to do TODAY. You know this in your heart because you always give that advice to others when asked.
The key for me, and Punkin said it as well...LC is a lifestyle choice. When it stops being a 'diet' and becomes the actual way of living we choose, then refusing a helping of rice or piece of cake is no more of a sacrifice than saying "no" to a serving of arsenic or any other slow acting poison.
This was hard for me in the beginning but has gotten easier over time. I just don't eat certain things and that's all there is to it.
The temptation comes from the uncertainty. If we absolutely do not eat particular foods then we never need feel tempted.
Good luck to you. To coin a phrase...."Our way is simple, but not easy"
Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
I agree with the "start today" crowd. There will ALWAYS be something -- a holiday, a vacation, a birthday, a party, a get-together with friends... if you wait, you'll be waiting forever.

Make the curry low-carb. I make LC curry all the time.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Yes, yes, yes lol. I think I had already answered my own question, maybe I was just looking for excuses! It’s always the answer I give other people, you are all right. If I don’t get back on the healthy LC as soon as possible I could gain 5lbs over the Easter weekend and that is 5lb extra I will have to lose again! Thank you for the suggestions and advice. I was already making my mum a small cottage pie on Sunday as she doesn’t eat curry, so I will make two small individual cottage pies for me and mum and a curry for the guys. I will top mine with mashed cauliflower and mums with potato like normal. And I will make some sugar free jelly to have with whipped cream while everyone else has cupcakes so I don’t feel like I am missing out.

I already told my hubby I am back to LC from tomorrow instead of after the weekend and I’ll be shopping after work to pick up plenty of LC foods (house is full of porridge, bread, potato at the moment!). Hopefully I won’t be far away from ketosis by then so I can stay strong and stay away from the nasty carbs over the weekend! Many thanks for your replies xxx
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
It looks like you are off to a good start. I began my low carb journey 2 days after Christmas, while I still had plenty of holiday goodies on hand. I gave most of them away and stuck the rest in the freezer. I know it's all in my head but for me, starting off on a Thursday seemed easier than doing it on a Monday.
lisamt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jazills
Stats: 241.8/241.8/145 - 5'2"
WOE: VLC/NK
Start Date: July, 7 2014
Proud of you for being stronger than a few sweets that could derail any plan of getting back on the wagon. Even if you decided to start Monday, then Monday turns into next week. Granted everyone needs to feel they have to have a starting point, but in reality all we have is today. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed and neither is next Monday or Easter. You are stronger than you think.
jazills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:06 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone! I am starting today! Scrambled egg with cheese for breakfast, tuna mayo salad for lunch and pork loins with vegetables for dinner. Some ham / soft cheese rolls and boiled eggs for snacks if I need them.

I know with water loss, I could be down 3-4lbs by Monday from where I am now. If I waited until Monday to start I could be 5lb up with all the food over Easter so that could be half a stone difference by putting it off a few days! It made sense to start today
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:12 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Good for you, and good luck!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
Great!
For anyone who is begining LC or "fell of the wagon" start with the next meal. Why wait for tommorrow when tommorrow might not come?!
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I always tell people so they can encourage me along the way. Only a few people close to me, but it still helps so people won't even offer me those foods. As you know, after a while you'll be stronger and able to turn down those foods that you think you want now.
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Stardust, you were very smart to start when you did.
I'm guessing you are happy about that today.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote