Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Cool Whip Insanity! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800409-cool-whip-insanity.html)

kitcub 03-26-2013 09:24 PM

Cool Whip Insanity!

So, I've heard people on this board mention eating SF Cool Whip. I generally stay away from that stuff as I know it's full of hydrogenated oils and crap but as I was shopping today for ingredients to make an easy LC Easter dessert, I picked up the SF Cool Whip and read the label. It says its 3 g. carbs per serving. This list of ingredients starts 1. Water 2. corn syrup - wait, what? :confused: Because corn syrup isn't sugar, eh? At the very bottom of the list of ingredients is Ace-k and aspartame (:sick:). So then I pick up the regular Cool Whip and the ingredients are 1. Water 2. Hydrogenated vegetable oil 3. HFCS...and only 2 g. carbs per serving!

Stop the insanity people!!!

Needless to say, I'll be using real whipped cream this holiday. :)

raindroproses 03-26-2013 09:30 PM

Wooooooow! Goes to show you I haven't read the labels on that stuff since I've started LC! :laugh: I can't believe there's actually more carbs in the SF version, yikes. I wound up cutting out Cool Whip a while ago too because of the hydrogenated oils, but I know a lot of other people eat it with berries and such so I figured it must have been low carb enough. Good thing I don't really like it... great job spotting that!

If you're looking for something that'll stand up like Cool Whip, be careful because real whipped cream will weep and won't set up like Cool Whip will in a recipe btw. I know I read somewhere about people adding a touch of plain gelatin to it while whipping the cream, but if you do an internet search for Cool Whip substitutes I'm sure you can find something that'll work well enough :)

watcher513 03-27-2013 02:02 AM

If you add some Deb El Just Whites to whipping cream, it'll help it stay whipped and not weep. Available in most stores.

clackley 03-27-2013 05:55 AM

Crazy! Give me real cream anyday!!

Knittering 03-27-2013 05:56 AM

Whipping up some cream takes what? Three, four minutes? And it's a thousand times better-tasting!

cfine 03-27-2013 10:12 AM

Homemade is so much better :)

LoriAS 03-27-2013 10:27 AM

I LOVE fresh whipped cream and so do my kiddos. We probably make it 3-4 times a week for a little treat.

wastednuffime 03-27-2013 10:36 AM

OMG, this thread just reminded me of something...

Anyone here remember that poster ( I'm talking from back-in-the-day, aka, 2003-2004...) Who ate TONS of this stuff, well on a regular / daily basis ( along with regular LC foods) Who lost like 200lbs eating this way??

Don't know if i should call her name...Guess I won't. but *some* of you know who I'm referring to...I say all that to say this,...Different strokes for different folks :dunno:

Yellobrix 03-27-2013 10:53 AM

It's fascinating to me how much my tastes have changed over the years. I first started becoming truly aware of food when my son needed a special diet to avoid certain additives. The easiest way was to simply cook real food from the original ingredients, rather than purchase anything prepared. Then I started low-carbing. Between those two WOE, what my mouth expects has definitely improved! Two days ago, DH brought home a container of what appeared to be butter, left over from a staff luncheon. I took the smallest bit to taste it, and nearly gagged. The difference between real butter and whatever that oily, sweetened, dyed, whipped concoction was? Enormous! Then I ate a pat of butter just because it was so amazing! LOL!

Gibbs 03-27-2013 12:14 PM

MMMM Cool Whip and peanut butter mixed! I have to stay away from it, I could eat the whole tub in one sitting!

Wendy T 03-27-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 16338776)
Whipping up some cream takes what? Three, four minutes? And it's a thousand times better-tasting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16339381)
Homemade is so much better :)

:goodpost:

Just Beachy 03-27-2013 01:50 PM

I use the Land O' Lakes Sugar Free Whipped Heavy Cream. In fact, shhhhh.........., but I have even, on occasion, sprayed the stuff right into my mouth.

I do sometimes make my own, but the spray stuff is so easy and no mess. It also feels a little bit decadent.

:) Beachy

abitobeef 03-27-2013 02:02 PM

I have a whipped cream dispenser so no cool whip for me

JennyP 03-27-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Beachy (Post 16339778)
I use the Land O' Lakes Sugar Free Whipped Heavy Cream. In fact, shhhhh.........., but I have even, on occasion, sprayed the stuff right into my mouth.

I do sometimes make my own, but the spray stuff is so easy and no mess. It also feels a little bit decadent.

:) Beachy

GASP!! I would NEVER do such a thing, EVER!!!!!

:rofl:

Ntombi 03-27-2013 04:17 PM

An iSi whipper is a fabulous little tool. Just sayin'.

LCWizard 03-28-2013 01:40 PM

They make an SF version? The regular has less carbs - 2g I think? I'll admit to having it as a treat.

LCWizard 03-28-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibbs (Post 16339614)
MMMM Cool Whip and peanut butter mixed! I have to stay away from it, I could eat the whole tub in one sitting!

O M G. Never thought of that combo. :o

kiwistars 03-28-2013 02:40 PM

If coolwhip is a sweetened flavoured whipped cream thing you could try what bakeries here do to make cream buns.
We don't get anything here in NZ except real cream in a can so you whip cream as usual but add vanilla essence and icing sugar(powdered sugar).As the sugar is for flavouring more than structural it should work low carb especially if you use a powdered AS like splenda or one of the stevia/erythritol mixes.I wouldn't use xylitol though unless you like a cool minty style taste.

Janknitz 03-28-2013 05:02 PM

One of the "problems" I Used to have with real whipped cream is that the Cool Whip junk will stay in the fridge for a while or frozen even longer. It's hard to keep real whipped cream on hand for when you need it.

But now, Trader Joe's sells little boxes of shelf stable whipping cream (I think it has a carrageen gum thickener). So you can always have it on hand. I love the convenience!

kiwistars 03-28-2013 05:06 PM

The spray can cream is plain cream+ propellant but it does stay nicely in the fridge for a while so it is handy.

Mad4Chillas 03-28-2013 07:13 PM

I grew up on Cool-Whip and never though differently about eating it until I started LCing about 2-3 years ago and then began having REAL whipped cream.

Needless to say now I cannot eat cool whip because it tastes too chemically for me. Real Whipped Cream all the way--I wont even buy the sugar-free kind either just because I feel like its a frankenfood that is further from real food than Id like it to be :lol:

Patience 03-30-2013 07:21 AM

what is a whipped cream dispenser? sounds heavenly
what is an iSi whipper? (I might guess an immersion blender)

Ntombi 03-30-2013 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Google is your friend.

I have had an iSi for years, I love it. Mine looks like this. It takes real cream and dispenses it like one of those Redi Whip cans. No chemicals, no crap, just real cream, maybe a bit of sweetener or flavoring of your choosing, and you can spritz it however you like.

Patience 03-30-2013 11:24 AM

Thanks, Ntombe, especially for the picture!
Sounds like something to consider purchasing.

clackley 03-30-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16344828)
Google is your friend.

I have had an iSi for years, I love it. Mine looks like this. It takes real cream and dispenses it like one of those Redi Whip cans. No chemicals, no crap, just real cream, maybe a bit of sweetener or flavoring of your choosing, and you can spritz it however you like.

I NEED this!!

Maryposa 03-30-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwistars (Post 16342113)
The spray can cream is plain cream+ propellant but it does stay nicely in the fridge for a while so it is handy.

Unfortunately, it's not like that here in the US :( here even the highest quality brand has sugar in it as well as cream

Maryposa 03-30-2013 05:11 PM

Ntombi, I tried to go in kitchen stores to find something like that dispenser you have... apparently "kids" (teens) buy the canisters to get high on, so most stores don't care to sell those supplies :(

Someday I might just find and buy something online...

Ntombi 03-30-2013 05:16 PM

That's a shame. I probably bought mine on amazon, but it's been so long, I can't even remember.

Patience 03-31-2013 08:58 AM

Check out Amazon, they are there. You can also just google, per Ntombe's suggestion.
There are other brands, but iSi gets good reviews. I am trying to decide whether I go for 1/2 pint or pint. I think pint as it uses the same cartridge . . altho day to day the 1/2 would be good for me.

SkeeterN 04-01-2013 08:15 AM

:jumpjoy:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16340040)
An iSi whipper is a fabulous little tool. Just sayin'.

:jumpjoy:

Keep mine filled in the fridge all the time. I have the half pint. got mine at a store but you can get them online too. I bought a second one in case anything happens to this one