Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Done with processed... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800405-done-processed.html)

jazills 03-26-2013 07:24 PM

Done with processed...

3 Attachment(s)
So the only thing left in my diet that was processed and I couldn't live without was SAUSAGE. I found an amazing sausage recipe and made it! I even ground the pork loin by myself. I'm proud of this because this is the first time I've ever done anything this homemade! I'm never taking a second glance at processed sausage ever again! PHOOEY! Take a look :::: :jumpjoy:

RECIPE:
5lb pork loin ground
4 tsp sage
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp red cayenne pepper
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder

Mix well (I used my hands). I made each patty 2oz. 79 calories each, 2.9g fat, .3 carbohydrate, 12.7g protein :)

Sidenote: I had every intention on making this today NO MATTER WHAT! I was going to put it in my blender on the food processor setting. Then I asked my mother, did you ever have a meat grinder with a hand crank? She said oh! I know who has one. My dad had one in his shed that he bought at a flea market for $2. Little unknown gem :) Came in handy!

sillyme 03-26-2013 07:42 PM

we need the recipe too!!!

jazills 03-26-2013 08:19 PM

I posted the recipe :) sorry i forgot... lol! i was just SO excited i did this!

raindroproses 03-26-2013 08:36 PM

Yaaaay! That's awesome :jumpjoy:

I just started making my own sausage patties recently too, and I agree... it's SO much better than the store bought stuff, and without all those nasty preservatives! :) I wasn't quite as awesome as you, grinding my own meat. I started with ground pork from my local supermarket. It's got to be even more satisfying grinding your own!

I think I just found another reason to ask for a meat grinder for Christmas... if I can find a place to put one! :D

jazills 03-26-2013 08:45 PM

It was way awesome grinding up my own pork! After I made this I made mini cheesecakes...I was in a cooking mood tonight and now I'm exhausted. This was very awesome though, it's going to be so much more amazing to have a REAL sausage patty for breakfast. I'm looking forward to breakfast lol!

picklepete 03-26-2013 08:50 PM

Excellent!
When I pick up a dubious sausage, what I'm really craving is the seasonings but I'm too lazy to figure it out on my own. :p

rubidoux 03-26-2013 09:45 PM

That sounds so yummy!

jazills 03-27-2013 08:03 AM

I had some for breakfast just now and it was so delicious even after being frozen. This is amazing! I'm so glad I did this.

@Picklepete you know...I crave the seasoning too, that's truly what makes the pork...sausage! :) That's really the only reason I refuse to remove it from my diet. It's feels great to have an great alternative to processed.

cfine 03-27-2013 10:07 AM

I am going to try this with beef :)

jazills 03-27-2013 10:17 AM

I'm sure it'll be just as good!! I fry mine is bacon grease for extra fat :) YUMMO!

clackley 03-27-2013 01:18 PM

That is awesome and I am going to have to try this. I can find sausage without wheat crumbs but it inevitably has some kind of dextrose or sugar by another name! I have avoided most sausage as a result.....it is going back on the menu this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

abitobeef 03-27-2013 02:12 PM

that sounds delicious

jazills 03-27-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16339745)
That is awesome and I am going to have to try this. I can find sausage without wheat crumbs but it inevitably has some kind of dextrose or sugar by another name! I have avoided most sausage as a result.....it is going back on the menu this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome! Most of the time you can get your grocer to grind the pork but I had no luck with that at any grocery store I went to :( It was fun doing it myself though. I LOVE not having all those nasty ingredients in it!

clackley 03-28-2013 11:06 AM

Picked up some ground 'all natural' pork today at a great price and will be giving this a go tomorrow! Thanks again.

jazills 03-28-2013 11:21 AM

AWESOME!! Good luck! Let me know how it turns out for you! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

clackley 03-28-2013 11:25 AM

I will!

Patience 03-31-2013 01:10 PM

The seasoning sounds good, too.
I have searched for sausage that tasted as it did in my youth.
My aunt and uncle processed their own pigs, so I am guessing they had their own secret recipe and sadly they are now departed. I know sage is required and something to make it somewhat spicy. That's probably thee cayenne, or I may recall red pepper flakes.
The mix my food coop uses contains cinnamon and that is horrible imo.

jazills 03-31-2013 01:42 PM

Its really a delicious blend. Not too spicy..just enough!

Salad Spinner 04-01-2013 05:21 AM

Good for you jazills on making your own! We process venison and turn it into kilbasa and a breakfast sausage. It's great to make your own because you can use whatever seasonings you really like (bella, yuck on the cinnamon ~ we tried an apple sausage w/cinnamon that sounded fantastic but was actually awful.) Your recipe sounds delish btw, one we'll likely try. If someone doesn't have a grinder try asking the store you buy your meat at if they will grind it for you. Sometimes they may not be happy if what your buying is on sale, but they will usually do it.

jazills 04-01-2013 01:00 PM

I asked 3 different stores and they said they couldn't. So I took it upon myself. If you try this let me know how you like it :)

PaminKY 04-03-2013 11:39 AM

Thanks for this recipe, I've bought a 5lb pork loin to try this out. I'm also trying to go process-free and it is really hard.

I didn't buy organic pork to try this with but if I like it I will next time.

jazills 04-03-2013 01:24 PM

It is hard to go non processed but well worth it for being healthy! Let me know how you like it :)

Karerose 04-03-2013 02:40 PM

Marking my place here because I'm going to try this - and I already have a meat grinder.

jazills 04-03-2013 04:52 PM

Good luck with it! Its delicious! Let us know how you like it :)