Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 04:05 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs_Potato_Head
Stats: 467/450/143-154?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2 March 2013
Is losing 13 lbs in a week even possible?

So I weighed myself this morning and my scales have GOT to be lying to me! Apparently Im down 13lbs from last week?!? OK, Im not complaining, but at the same time I dont want to note down a mistake incase next week it evens out and I appear not to have lost a lot (I wish the numbers on a scale meant less to me, but tbh they do influence my emotions). I know I have a lot to loose and the heavier you are the quicker you loose but I am truely confused. I even weighed myself three times and averaged out the numbers.

Right now Im on week 5 of a 12 week liquid diet as I am being prepared for bariatric surgery and this is part of the program. I was given a low fat liquid diet of 1200 calories per day but after struggling with crazy hunger for 2 weeks and hardly losing anything at all, I decided to do it my way. As far as the weight loss team know Im still doing low fat because if I tell them Im actully doing low carb they will cancel the funding for the surgery. Anyways, I made up my own 20gms of carbs a day liquid diet. Im not hungry much and its still liquid (the idea of being entirely liquid is to see what emotional issues crop up about eating that I can lean to deal with as Im given every second week time with a psychologist). If I end up chosing not to have the surgery, I am looking at this as induction.

The only things I've changed about my diet this week is I have added coconut oil to breakfast, lunch and dinner and yesterday I began to make sure Im drinking 2 litres of water a day. Oh and I stopped adding 1 serve of raspberries so Im only eating a cup of salad a day for fibre. In the original plan, Im supposed to be eating two serves of fruit/vegetables a day, I tried to keep with that but it put my carbs over 20gms.

Anyways, Im flabbergasted and not sure what to make of it.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 04:12 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shrinkingviolet
Stats: 248/241.6/140
WOE: Atkins but probably with tweaks
Start Date: Oct 2010, restarting July 2014
Perhaps the fat increase ramped up your weight loss? I wouldn't be surprised that you lost that much, the human body does some bizarre things, perhaps it was a whoosh after your body decided to let go of the water it filled the fat cells with in any case, well done! And kutgw!
Shrinkingviolet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nanner
Stats: 253/229.5/200
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: This time - 03/18/2013/JUDDD 04/29/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Potato_Head View Post
So I weighed myself this morning and my scales have GOT to be lying to me! Apparently Im down 13lbs from last week?!? OK, Im not complaining, but at the same time I dont want to note down a mistake incase next week it evens out and I appear not to have lost a lot (I wish the numbers on a scale meant less to me, but tbh they do influence my emotions). I know I have a lot to loose and the heavier you are the quicker you loose but I am truely confused. I even weighed myself three times and averaged out the numbers.

Right now Im on week 5 of a 12 week liquid diet as I am being prepared for bariatric surgery and this is part of the program. I was given a low fat liquid diet of 1200 calories per day but after struggling with crazy hunger for 2 weeks and hardly losing anything at all, I decided to do it my way. As far as the weight loss team know Im still doing low fat because if I tell them Im actully doing low carb they will cancel the funding for the surgery. Anyways, I made up my own 20gms of carbs a day liquid diet. Im not hungry much and its still liquid (the idea of being entirely liquid is to see what emotional issues crop up about eating that I can lean to deal with as Im given every second week time with a psychologist). If I end up chosing not to have the surgery, I am looking at this as induction.

The only things I've changed about my diet this week is I have added coconut oil to breakfast, lunch and dinner and yesterday I began to make sure Im drinking 2 litres of water a day. Oh and I stopped adding 1 serve of raspberries so Im only eating a cup of salad a day for fibre. In the original plan, Im supposed to be eating two serves of fruit/vegetables a day, I tried to keep with that but it put my carbs over 20gms.

I lost 8.5 lb last week (my first week of low carb), so I definitely believe it's possible. I was very bloated with water, so I know that was a big part of the loss.
Nanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Yes it is possible and will almost certainly not continue at that rate. I lost about 8 lbs. in my first week too. It is primarily water weight that is released as the glycogen stores are depleted. What ever - it is scale weight and something to be celebrated!! KUTGW!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
At your stats/ weight, totally possible!!!
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC

I agree. For someone starting out at say...180 then a thirteen pound loss would be something to seriously question...But at your starting point i do think it is possible.
Consider also the water weight that is lost in the beginning of lc.
Anyway....even if the scale is off by a pound or two you had an amazing drop in weight and should feel totally encouraged.
Don't question it. Enjoy it and let it motivate you to continue on your journey to maximum healh.
I say HOORAY for you!
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Potato_Head View Post

I'm concerned about the part I put in bold above. Is it possible that they will find out anyway by testing for ketosis? Do they test blood and urine regularly? Please be careful. Whatever happens, sounds like you need this surgery to get a handle on your health so not worth risking your funding. You can do low carb to your heart's desire AFTER the surgery though to continue in your healing path. That said, so happy for your big loss and so happy you're taking charge of your health. Rooting for you!

Last edited by abby!; 03-26-2013 at 07:14 AM..
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the concern . No, they dont do blood or urine tests at all so there is no way of them finding out, unless I tell them. Which I don't plan to. Put it this way, my weight is this high simply because I ate a bucket load of carbs every day, and not just carbs but carbs and fat (doughnuts you delicious tools of the devil you!). When I went back to low carb, I found it impossible to lose weight until I was put on metformin, so I think that makes me pre-diabetic, the perfect candidate for low carb. Then I went through a binge period for a long time. Now Im low carbing it and on metformin the weight is coming off.

Im hoping to avoid surgery, and with or without surgery I still need to fix my mind and my behaviours around carbs. Thats where Im at with my shrink, learning to deflect a binge before it happens. I know surgery a great tool for many, and Im not judging those who have had surgery, but if I can loose without it, I'd rather it take longer than have surgery to save some time. Still, Im on the fence now so I dont want to have the funding pulled, incase I decide I want the surgery, I still want the option for the future.

Here in the UK, most drs dont even know what low carb is. When my husband had his cholesterol checked, and it went down after low carb, he laughed and said "and this is after eating heaps of animal fat for months on end". My doctor replied with "you should write a book, you'll make millions" and my husband replied "I think Atkins got there before me". So the idea of good health here is low fat and lots of carbs. I don't think Im going to be able to change that in a hurry, even if they see the results low carb can bring. They are simply to entrenched in low fat dogma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby! View Post
I'm concerned about the part I put in bold above. Is it possible that they will find out anyway by testing for ketosis? Do they test blood and urine regularly? Please be careful. Whatever happens, sounds like you need this surgery to get a handle on your health so not worth risking your funding. You can do low carb to your heart's desire AFTER the surgery though to continue in your healing path. That said, so happy for your big loss and so happy you're taking charge of your health. Rooting for you!
Mrs_Potato_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GAVIV
Stats: RNY 12/26/12 234.4/148/125-130?
WOE: Trying to stay low carb as possible
Great job!!
GAVIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LC My Way
Do you know why they would pull the funding for the surgery if they found out you were doing low carb? I mean what has lc got to do with it, or is it just that you are not following their protocol?

Oh and congrats on the 13 lbs!

~
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Like all things that don't make any logical sense, its all about politics. I've been told a couple of times that my funding relies entirely on me sticking with their program, so if I weren't losing weight, or keep 'cheating' by eating actual food (on the liquid part of the diet) or even if I miss two appointments in a row, Im out. Most of it is all about pleasing voters who think funding for bariatric surgery is a waste of money, so the government makes you jump through hoops to prove you really need the surgery and that regular dieting jus doesn't do it. That way they can say to voters, we only give surgery to those that actually need it and only after they have learnt to eat right ect.

But thats the way it is, so I tell them what they want to hear. Personally I don't see the difference, its all about losing weight right? But when I asked my nutritionist if the plan was low carb or low fat her answer was "its lower fat, because fat has too many calories". All I could do was sigh and shake my head. I mean come on, a professional nutritionist should at least know what a low carb diet is about, even if they don't agree with it. When you realise you're up against institutionalised ignorance, you know theres not a lot you can do.

Oh and thanks : ), yep pretty happy about the weight loss! Stunned but happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidihoopi View Post
Do you know why they would pull the funding for the surgery if they found out you were doing low carb? I mean what has lc got to do with it, or is it just that you are not following their protocol?

Oh and congrats on the 13 lbs!

~
Mrs_Potato_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
wouldn't it be wonderful if LC works and you didn't need the surgery?
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

^^^This and from what I understand, post surgery way of eating is pretty much low carb.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GAVIV
Stats: RNY 12/26/12 234.4/148/125-130?
WOE: Trying to stay low carb as possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
wouldn't it be wonderful if LC works and you didn't need the surgery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
^^^This and from what I understand, post surgery way of eating is pretty much low carb.
LC alone doesn't work for everyone...

And post surgery most people are told to avoid carbs and sugar.
GAVIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
You might want to visit Jimmy Moore's Livin' la Vida Low-carb blog. His starting weight was 410, I think, and he's lost 200 pounds or so over a few years of LC trial and error. There's a wealth of information on his site.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Short Answer:

13 pounds - yes
13 pounds of fat - not very likely

Pounds measured on the scale refers to everything that contributes to your weight, meaning fat, water, muscle, etc. Likely, it's a combination of water and fat.

Last edited by evas; 03-27-2013 at 12:45 PM..
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVIV View Post
LC alone doesn't work for everyone...

And post surgery most people are told to avoid carbs and sugar.
Yes and that is why it seems wise to try low carb first and see if it can get you where you need to go. Btw, I am an 'expert' on the many possible reasons why low carb can fail some people for weight loss and this is due to my very long term stall which has stymied me half way through my weight loss.