LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jazills
Stats: 241.8/241.8/145 - 5'2"
WOE: VLC/NK
Start Date: July, 7 2014
"Luckily..."

Today i was at the grocery store picking up some spinach, peanut butter, and cream cheese. Just some stuff I needed. Anywho, I noticed the store recently started selling PB2, so I was reading the back minding my own business and the grocery store associate comes up to me and says "Have you tried that Nutella? I eat it everyday, it's my favorite." I said "Nah, it has too much sugar for me." He said "Oh, well luckily I don't have to worry about that."

What did he think I was diabetic? I mean I understand where he could get it from but he wasn't exactly "Mr. physique-of-the-year" either. I wanted to say, "You should start worrying about it because you will die from that poison." I'm not rude I'm just honest.

Interesting story of the day how naive some people are.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Some employees, I noticed, are just nosy. I recently found SF electrolyte drinks at Walmart that I love, and they hardly ever have them. I was standing there looking and throwing all of them into my cart that they had. He asked if I needed any more and I said yes that would be great, as they only had 2 flavors out. He asked if we played a lot of sports, I said no we just like them to drink. I said make sure they are the sugar free ones and he asked why I didn't want the other ones. I said because I don't eat sugar. He kept asking more questions, maybe he was just curious, but he did go to the back and get me a case of them. Very helpful, but asked a lot of questions.

Dude, I'm LC, I just like them lol.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yeah, lots of people assume I don't eat sugar because I'm diabetic, and sometimes I correct them, sometimes I don't bother.

Luckily ( ), more and more people are waking up to the dangers of sugar, so it's slowly becoming less of an issue. Even several of my healthy friends are starting to see the light and cut way down.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
Crazily enough, with all the things going on in our country, a lot of people don't even know about the sugar-diabetes connection! I am actually taking a nutrition class in college, and many of the students I'm with thought sugar was 'good when you need energy'. OMG.
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I seem to get the "nosy" problem more often when ordering at restaurants oddly enough... I've never really had anyone comment about my choices while shopping in grocery stores.

It's also weird to me that more people don't start to make the "gluten free" connection more often when I order places too. For instance, the other day I ordered myself a burger with no bun and a salad without croutons... and the lady still brought me out a roll and sat it in front of me. I'd completely forgotten they served them there, so that was my bad... but I just found it odd that someone would think I'd want a roll when I didn't even want a bun for my burger or croutons on my salad

The lady even went on to say, "Oh, well can't you just eat one of them? They're really good!" It's like... I'm sure they ARE good, but no lady... I can't

After telling her to take it away and telling her gluten makes me sick, she apologized... it's just strange how many times I've had people try to convince me that "just this one time" will be okay.
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Speaking sugar for energy I was in the Navy and we would work 18-20hours a day on deployments and the people I worked with would consume a lot of terrible things like candy and energy drinks to stay awake. I did the same and this is how I gained my weight back...terrible time in my life but anyway. This girl admitted to me she had a sugar addiction and she cannot part with it no matter what. The sad reality is that this is true for most people and before LC I'm sure it was an issue for all of us.

I havent had many people convince me one is fine, my last go around it was always me convincing myself it was ok. I feel a lot stronger this time around because I'm doin it for a different reason.
jazills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
Maybe the guy was just trying to make conversation.
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abitobeef
Yes trying to explain no carb when looking for new foods.
abitobeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

He probably was, but in my head I was thinking I wish he was more health conscious. I wish the whole world had the knowledge that we share with each other daily.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
Just arguing something similar on facebook.Trying to explain to people if they get grumpy without sugar it shows sugar is bad and addictive not that low carb is bad for them *sighs,shakes head*
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

You're right because you come down off of the "high" just like any other drug or alcohol that is bad for us. If only more people adopted this way of thinking.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Basically from everything I have read, everyone is eating too many carbs. Some people are better equipped to deal with it than others. We underestimate how much fat we need on a daily basis as energy fuel. we can convert carbs to fat for fuel, which is what most people do, but even in the lean, who don't have a lot of lipophilic tissues, the fat deposits still find places to go. Skinny people are still susceptible to cardiac disease.

It is really difficult to find a good balance of how many carbs we actually should be eating, in relation to the amount of fat/protein. Nutella definitely tips the scale in the wrong direction. I think there are enough carbs in 100% cacao and the nuts that you mix with it, without all that added sugar. Processed foods are ridiculously out of proportion.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:03 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
I am perfectly aware I am on the harsh/politically incorrect side of things, but my reply to the question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazills View Post
"Have you tried that Nutella? I eat it everyday, it's my favorite."
Would have been "Did I ask you?"

There is just no way I would have justified why I buy this or that, I am paying for it anyways so I get no questions. A well crafted harsh reply is often a good fix.

Last edited by PaleoRainy; 03-26-2013 at 05:06 AM..
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

^^^ hahahahaha!! Right!! He don't know me
Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoRainy View Post
I am perfectly aware I am on the harsh/politically incorrect side of things, but my reply to the question:

Would have been "Did I ask you?"

There is just no way I would have justified why I buy this or that, I am paying for it anyways so I get no questions. A well crafted harsh reply is often a good fix.
would you be as harsh with someone in produce who mentioned a type of mushroom they prefer, or a butcher who points out a cut of meat that they enjoy that you may not have tried? (that is how I found out about Flat Iron steak)

She was looking at similar products, he mentioned that he likes a specific one. He has NO way of knowing what her eating habits are other than that she is in the nut butter area.
I just see no reason to add a layer of mean to a word that already has so much badness when the guy was probably just trying to pass along something he thought she might enjoy (a positive intent) by throwing such venom in his face. If I were trying to be friendly and someone was that snippy with me it might affect my mood with the next person I see. WHY choose to cause hurt and ruin some one's day? I just do not understand the mentality behind deliberate rudeness and spite.
I don't think I have ever seen an instance where a random well meaning comment is "fixed" by a harsh verbal slap. And I am by no means PC in most instances.
That isn't politically incorrect it is just mean. There is enough mean in the world.

Re the OP:

It seems like there are some people who really don't have the same issues with sugar that others do. I don't think anyone thinks sugar is GOOD, but for some lucky people it doesn't seem to cause as bad a reaction, at least not bad enough to cause them concern, and really, that is the bottom line, what WE chose our acceptable risk to be.
Alcohol is a poison, but many people drink. For some it causes serious health problems, for others it doesn't. Some choose to abstain. Some choose moderation. Some kill themselves slowly. I look at sugar the same way. It is a poison, But it is a poison we choose to take in moderation, overabundance or not at all.
I guess that any ill effects he gets from it are not enough for him to chose to not consume it.

Or it could just be that he thought you were cute and wanted to initiate a conversation.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am still amazed that sugar (in all it's organic forms) is prominent in the 'health food' stores. We have a long way to go!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Khewes
Unless someone is blatantly pointing at me and saying hey fattie, you shouldn't be eating that, I think people just generally like to make conversation. I like to believe that there does exist some good in people.

To the OP: you are adorable. I'm guessing he was hitting on you.
Khewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

LOL! My mom said the same thing, she said "Jana why would he not ask you about peanut butter. you're the cutest girl he's probably ever seen." Please mom...lol!!