Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Today is the day! And also... poll (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800281-today-day-also-poll.html)

SchoolPsych1979 03-25-2013 10:24 AM

Today is the day! And also... poll

Hi there,

After contemplating and being wishy-washy, Ive decided that I am going COLD TURKEY and starting my low carb lifestyle today. I've been haunted by the past for a long time, and thinking about this and that, and why I am not at my weight, etc. But I think I am at a point in my life where I am ready and just GOING TO DO IT. :jumpjoy:

Also, does anyone out there just do "low carb" and not follow a particular plan and are successful?

ab1ht 03-25-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16335312)
Also, does anyone out there just do "low carb" and not follow a particular plan and are successful?

My "low carb" has morphed into "90% natural foods". I eat rice, beans, nuts, and fruit in addition to plenty of veggies and some meat.

I've dumped at least 90% or more of processed foods/drinks. Try very hard to avoid added sugar (some dark chocolate slips into my trail mix). Also try to stop eating when not hungry.

Maintaining my ideal weight pretty well.

Knittering 03-25-2013 10:41 AM

Excellent!! I am so proud of you. :)

There are LOTS of people who do "low carb my own way" and there's a long support thread waiting for you: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...b-our-way.html

SchoolPsych1979 03-25-2013 11:24 AM

Thank you for that thread!

Shrinkingviolet 03-25-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16335312)
Hi there,

After contemplating and being wishy-washy, Ive decided that I am going COLD TURKEY and starting my low carb lifestyle today. I've been haunted by the past for a long time, and thinking about this and that, and why I am not at my weight, etc. But I think I am at a point in my life where I am ready and just GOING TO DO IT. :jumpjoy:

Hi there, WOO HOO!!! I'm so excited for you! I guess I follow my own way, thinking about it. I started off with Rose Elliott's vegetarian low carb plan (although I'm not veggie but used to be), then read Atkins books and followed atkins but added my own choice of foods into induction, such as Greek yogurt and berries. I also like Neris and India's From Pig to Twig book, it helped me relax a bit about what I ate. So I lost 40lb the first time round by counting carbs but eating pretty much what I fancied within those carbs. You will figure out what works for you as you go along :) good luck!! :heart:

SchoolPsych1979 03-25-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrinkingviolet (Post 16335555)
Hi there, WOO HOO!!! I'm so excited for you! I guess I follow my own way, thinking about it. I started off with Rose Elliott's vegetarian low carb plan (although I'm not veggie but used to be), then read Atkins books and followed atkins but added my own choice of foods into induction, such as Greek yogurt and berries. I also like Neris and India's From Pig to Twig book, it helped me relax a bit about what I ate. So I lost 40lb the first time round by counting carbs but eating pretty much what I fancied within those carbs. You will figure out what works for you as you go along :) good luck!! :heart:

Haha! I also read the pig to twig book! Loved it. So cute! Thanks for the encouragement!

tinamanni 03-25-2013 01:43 PM

I bet most people do it their way. Most of us start with the basics (me atkins) and then change it to fit out bodies so it ends up being our own thing and not necessarily following an exact plan. Just listen to your body!

Good luck!

Shrinkingviolet 03-25-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16335656)
Haha! I also read the pig to twig book! Loved it. So cute! Thanks for the encouragement!

Yeah it made me laugh and take it all a bit more easy on myself :)

GAVIV 03-25-2013 07:41 PM

I do my own thing as well. Focus is on protein, with some veggies and modest amount of condiments (mustard, light mayo, light sour cream, etc.). No grains or carbs.

Great job committing...good luck!