Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 170/170/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1/4/14
Not sure where to be

Hello, The minute I layed my fingers on the keyboard to type this, my eyes well up with tears. I can't do this, I am saying to myself. I don't know why I am even here. I want to suceed but I have tried so many times and failed. I am discouraged. I would like to know where the best place to be able to just write some thoughts for the day would be. Not necessarily looking for someone to pat me on the back or kick my butt each day but to know someone who is going through the same thing would understand my words.

I am 47, Female, Married (25 yrs) and have a motivation problem. I have done Atkins in the past and have been successful but I don't feel like it would be the plan for me at this stage of my life. I would like to go back to the WW plan with my own reducing in carbs incorporated.

I would like to write down how I live in sweat pants, how I can't walk fast anymore, how I get winded easily, how when I go to the gym to try a simple thing like walking on the trend mill - I get lightheaded and stop.

I am just not happy and I feel like I am at my breaking point because I can't get a grip on losing weight. How did I get here and Lord, how do I get out?
LoveThoseLeopards is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
and There's a journal section on the site, where you can start your own journal to record your thoughts, stats etc. That may be a good starting point for you.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/195/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
I enjoy the Atkins WOE, but I have a hard time staying on track for any length of time, so I know where you're coming from. I understand that feeling of not being able to get a grip on it and the discouragement that goes along with it.

This board has a lot to offer in the encouragement department. That's why even when I'm not watching my diet, I am always reading the boards.

Just hang in there.

P.S. If you are looking for an alternative eating plan that is moderate carb, and allows more flexibility, then maybe look over the 17 day diet. Maybe you just need a fresh idea to get you going.
natural_born_texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August (this time around)
Hi and Welcome!

Have you read up on low carb, lately? Some great reads that we always highly recommend are Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat", and Dr Davis "Wheat Belly". Also highly reco'd is Tom Naughton's movie "Fat Head" (Hulu or Amazon).

All of these will help you get your HEAD into LC, whichever plan you ultimately choose.

Best of luck, we are here for you.
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Start a Journal. I'll pop in and say hi and compare notes if you like. I am 55 years old, post menopause and Hypothyroid.

VLC doesn't work well for me but I'm doing well with WW and moderate carb.

I'm not a big organized exerciser. I lost my ability to run and even walk for long periods of time about 10 years ago after a back surgery.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Welcome! You DID come to the right place! My first questions would be: have you been checked for iron, thyroid, and vitamin deficiencies? The symptoms you described plus what sounds like depression (another symptom of those issues) could be part of what's going on with you. Why don't you start with some blood work first? It could tell you a lot and give you some baseline information. I do know that there are some people on the board who do lower carb weight watchers which is perfectly acceptable! Whatever works for you and your body. I feel people try very hard here not to bash others and how thy eat. We are all here to support and encourage. You have come to the right place! (((Hugs)))

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekaboolie View Post
Welcome! You DID come to the right place! My first questions would be: have you been checked for iron, thyroid, and vitamin deficiencies? The symptoms you described plus what sounds like depression (another symptom of those issues) could be part of what's going on with you. Why don't you start with some blood work first? It could tell you a lot and give you some baseline information. I do know that there are some people on the board who do lower carb weight watchers which is perfectly acceptable! Whatever works for you and your body. I feel people try very hard here not to bash others and how thy eat. We are all here to support and encourage. You have come to the right place! (((Hugs)))
and finding what works for US is the whole key! I do LC and I'm starving! I do JUDDD/IF alternate day dieting and I binge on the UDs, I do WW and I save all my points for snack foods! It was crazy until I stopped dieting and starting tracking my food and calories to see what I REALLY was eating and figuring out why and eating ONLY when I am truly hungry and ONLY what I REALLY want, not just to eat! PLUS, depression, vitamin deficiencies, any kind of health issue contributes to why and what we eat. Walking, being winded, light headed, etc. sounds a little more serious to me besides a bit overweight. I would suggest a good check-up! You may find you have been hard on yourself and it really was NOT what you were doing but an underlying health issue!

Be strong and find what works for you! It's NOT a "one size, fits all" world!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nanner
Stats: 253/229.5/200
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: This time - 03/18/2013/JUDDD 04/29/2013
I'm with you - I've restarted so many times it's ridiculous. I've done JUDDD, which is a good diet, and I did lose on it but got off track. I really do like LC, but not strict Atkins. I've just restarted, and I decided I am determined to track what I'm eating and also to journal so that I can keep track of where and when I'm losing and how many carbs I can eat and still lose. This first week has gone well, so I will just keep logging things in and see where it gets me. Good luck!

Bye-bye 240's - 04/05/2013
230's - 05/12/2013
220's -
210's -
200!! -
Nanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shrinkingviolet
Stats: 248/238.4/140
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: Oct 2010, restarting July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveThoseLeopards View Post
I am just not happy and I feel like I am at my breaking point because I can't get a grip on losing weight. How did I get here and Lord, how do I get out?
Awwww huge hugs to you. You're not the only person who knows that place, most of us have been there, and still go back to visit periodically the first step is the hardest, but that will turn into a day, then two days, then a week, then a month, and you'll look back and think, man that was a hard time I was going through, but I beat it! If Atkins isn't for you, then go the WW route, whatever works for you is what is best. You are not alone, so keep on trucking and we're all trucking along with you
Shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much for the replies! You guys really know how to make someone feel welcome - I appreciate it so much.

I have suffered from depression for many many years but have it very much under control with medication. In fact, it is when I started the anti-depressants is when I started gaining weight. I can't go off of them....I have tried and just rebound into deep depression. I have also tried different types but I have to stick with the combination I am on as it works best for me.

Also, I have had a full work up of blood and the only thing that was out of the ordinary (well sort of) was the thyroid. It was low so I thought "UREKA! that's it!!!" but my PCP thought it "wasn't low enough" to treat. So I asked for a second opinion. She sent me to an Endocrinologist - which I saw and he said the same thing....My thyroid was low but not enough to treat. UGH! He said at sometime in my life he will have to treat but not yet.

Other than that, no vitamin deficiency or other medical conditions.

I think I did pretty well yesterday. I kept all my carbs early in the day: Fiber one cereal for breakfast, half of a whole wheat pita with tuna fish, shredded lettuce and tomato slices and for dinner I had a steak with mushrooms and onions and a large helping of spaghetti squash.

I'm going to try day #2 today and see what happens. Thanks again for all the support. Today I am going to see what this JUDD is all about and maybe start a blog. Thanks again!

Lisa
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
If you don't have a binging disorder, JUDDD is a fantastic diet. I lost weight really quickly on it and enjoyed my "up" days a lot.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
You can totally do this!!!! I have a thyroid condition, metabolic disorder, and am on Paxil....all notorious for causing weight gain. I lose VERY slowly! However, the important point is that you do this for your overall health! I would recommend taking these supplements as suggested by my naturopathic endocrinologist and research: vitamin D3 (up to 5000 iu), Magnesium Chelate/Glycinate (up to 600 mg at night), Fish Oil (up to 4g daily at night), and maybe a probiotic. These supplements will not only help with some of the depression, but they will also help support and improve your immune function. I think it helps improve weight loss attempts as well. I hope this helps!!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Wow! Thank you Julie that's really encouraging. Will do my research.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Beachy
Stats: 226.5/166/145
WOE: LC/MP/HF (NK)
Start Date: July, 29, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveThoseLeopards View Post
I think I did pretty well yesterday. I kept all my carbs early in the day: Fiber one cereal for breakfast, half of a whole wheat pita with tuna fish, shredded lettuce and tomato slices and for dinner I had a steak with mushrooms and onions and a large helping of spaghetti squash.

I'm going to try day #2 today and see what happens. Thanks again for all the support. Today I am going to see what this JUDD is all about and maybe start a blog. Thanks again!

Lisa
Lisa, Have you read Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis? Have you ever looked at his blog or FB page? He posted an article either earlier today or yesterday about wheat and depression. It might be a good idea to consider cutting out all wheat from your diet -- if not all grains.

I hope today went well for you, and you can do this. Everyone here is cheering for you.

Beachy
Just Beachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Beachy. I'm amazed at all the information just on this one thread alone! I briefly went out to the Wheat Belly FB page and watched the video of him on CBS. Sparks so many questions for more research. Thank you.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #16

Gallery: FatCat
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct. '99
Did you mention to your Dr. that you get light-headed on the treadmill? To me, that is an ominous sign.
FatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Carol
WOE: Just Low Carb... kinda Atkinsy
Start Date: 03/2013
You can do it, Love! And have you tried Welbutrin/Bupropion for depression? That's what my doc gave me because it doesn't cause weight gain like a lot of others. Personally, carbs for me beget more carbs. I'm like a carboholic--once I start, I can't stop! Wishing you all the best & hope you find your personal best plan.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

@FatCat - I haven't yet. I figured I would tell her at my next physical in June.

@Carol - Yes, I am currently on Wellbutrin and Trileptal. I actually went off of ALL medication for about a year (probably not advisable) to see if I could lose the weight but I couldn't. Of course the depression "out weighed" the weight issue so I resumed all medication again. I know that's pretty deperate to sacrifice health for weight loss.