Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Is being hungry a part of all weight loss plans? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800214-being-hungry-part-all-weight-loss-plans.html)

3fatcats 03-24-2013 06:58 AM

Is being hungry a part of all weight loss plans?

Meaning, I have 10-15 lbs to go and it seems like in order to lose, I overall have to eat less. I'm big framed like my dad and can definately eat like a man, but it seems like unless I create a calorie deficit too, I won't be able to lose these last lbs. I was 160 in highschool which was string bean me (didn't think so at the time! duh) and I'm 174 now. I can get to 172 and then it stops BLAM! like a brick wall. I got down to 170 once but that was because I was sick. *sigh* I will start running again soon, but it still isn't enough for these last stubborn lbs. I'm reading the Dr. Phiney? thread. I'll start trying a calorie deficit with higher fat. Does this menu look right? It's really hard to get these %'s right.

eggs (2), bacon (3pcs) lard (2 tablespoon), onion (1/8 cup), pickle (2), chicken sausage (7), sour cream (1/2 cup) ground beef (1-1/2 cup), olive oil (2 tbl)

Totals: 1680 cals, 134 fat, 14.8 carbs, 102 protein Fat 71% carbs 3% protein 25%

I will have to "drink" more olive oil to get the fat up, but then my calories go up. Is there something I should change for dietary ketosis? I am hungry on anything less than 120 gr or protein. :cry: I don't like being hungry. Makes me like this...:mad:

Thanks is advance for the suggestions

raindroproses 03-24-2013 07:10 AM

You really have to watch the protein, because protein can actually create an insulin response like many others have said. It's good to find your "sweet spot" for weight loss for your protein along with your carbs imo. I'm currently doing NK (pretty much) and I try to keep my protein between 70-90 grams most days. Granted I'm a little lighter than you (though not by much) but 120+ seems too high for your target weight. I'd aim for closer to 100 honestly. There's a formula you can use to figure it out.

If you get most of your calories from fat, you shouldn't feel hungry with the lack of protein. I use coconut oil to get my fat up... have you ever made fat bombs? Those are tasty and help a LOT to fill you up with fat rather than protein. Sounds a lot more appetizing than drinking olive oil too, though I kind of hope the quotes are there to indicate you wouldn't be literally DRINKING it. I couldn't imagine what that would taste like :laugh:

For NK you want to aim for around 80% of your calories being from fat. I'm never RIGHT at 80, but I'm usually pretty close. That sample you gave seems pretty good, I'd just caution watching your protein intake because that CAN mess you up and stall you. I'm wondering if that's why you haven't been able to drop those last pounds!

raindroproses 03-24-2013 07:14 AM

Check out the Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb board for some more information... everyone's great over there! If you check out the first page of the March thread, it has a TON of useful information about what NK is, how you achieve it, and how to keep your protein levels moderate. There's a formula for figuring out how much protein you should be consuming over there too :)

If you keep your fat high enough, no... you shouldn't be hungry! If you still are hungry on NK or LC in general I'd definitely decrease protein, INCREASE fat, and make sure you're not experiencing carb creep anywhere from a hidden source of carbs you're not tracking. Also be sure to drink plenty of water! I usually drink between 8-12 glasses a day, sometimes more! :)

If you're curious what a sample day for me looks like on NK, here's what I had yesterday:

B - chocolate egg cream
L - a couple fat bombs (yeah, I know... I was in a hurry, LOL)
D - salmon caesar salad with chopped hard boiled egg added, with an extra side caesar (no croutons of course!)
S - daily piece of dark chocolate, 1/8 cup macadamia nuts, diet black cherry limeade

1466 calories, 126g fat, 81g protein, 15g total carbs, 1039mg sodium, 7g sugar

76% Fat | 20% Protein | 4% Carbs

jhbyrd 03-24-2013 07:18 AM

I find that I am not really hungry but more mind hungry,lol!! I want something but my stomach is not really hungry if that makes sense. I am trying to work on this and know the difference. I hit a stall at around 160, I have gone back to VLC (I was still doing lc) to reach goal-which is around 145 or so. I started last Sunday with VLC and I can tell a difference already. I do watch calories but not as closely as carbs, HOPE this helps!!

Jeannie

3fatcats 03-24-2013 07:35 AM

Thanks for the info ladies! I'll try switching it up a bit. More fat less protein. WAHHHHH!!! *sniffle sniffle*. I actually am the start of grumbly when I want more protein lately. I drink tons of water.

I'll jump over to the Ketotis thread and get me edumacated! lol

Oh, and I sometimes DO drink olive oil. Veryyyy peppery. *smile*

picklepete 03-24-2013 08:15 AM

In my experience, hunger is a sign that I'm not burning fat. If I were burning fat, the cells would have energy and I wouldn't be hungry. A good diet should maximize energy and minimize stress. Stress = cortisol = converting more protein into glucose (no mystery why you crave it). Check sleep quality too.

Nobody really knows the answer for an individual, but if your weight hasn't been this low in a long time then it might just be a matter of patience and letting the insulin/leptin/cell membranes heal. Run if you enjoy it, but not if you "have to" (I do better with walking every day and sprint set once a week).

clackley 03-24-2013 08:19 AM

For me there is being hungry on a regular diet and being hungry on a ketogenic diet. Apples and oranges for me.

On a ketogenic diet, I can and do go long hours between consuming much food if any and can be completely comfortable. Yes, I would identify some hunger signals from time to time but nothing that has the same urgency as when I am not in ketosis. Being hungry does not equal weight loss for me.

picklepete 03-24-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16333412)
For me there is being hungry on a regular diet and being hungry on a ketogenic diet. Apples and oranges for me.

Good point. It's probably wise to tolerate a mild appetite when you know you've got a great dinner planned. This was probably our normal state before barcode/drivethru food. But serious deprivation anxiety shortly after a meal should be looked at and fixed.

cfine 03-24-2013 08:27 AM

102 grams of protein for your height and build is probably just about right. Also, to me, your fat intake and calories looked good also. I think your body just needs to adjust to your new weight. Give it some time.

Ntombi 03-24-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16333412)

On a ketogenic diet, I can and do go long hours between consuming much food if any and can be completely comfortable. Yes, I would identify some hunger signals from time to time but nothing that has the same urgency as when I am not in ketosis. Being hungry does not equal weight loss for me.

This.

kiwistars 03-24-2013 12:50 PM

do you do Atkins or another plan?If Atkins look at doing 1972 diet revolution as you definitely are eating stuff that isn't on that plan and it can be really successful.I had no slows last time as I approached the finish line,I got TINY.

Also check chicken sausages as those things normally have a ton of carbs/fillers.

Just Russ 03-24-2013 01:57 PM

I didn't lose on Atkins 2002... I went back to Atkins 72 & lost. I appear to be resistant but still I keep my carbs low & I inch down. I am not hungry which is what caused me to FAIL on calorie counting. I find I must challenge myself... the primary instruction in Dr Atkins 72 book is "Eat all you need (from the approved foods) to not be hungry." But it is not an invitation to eat all you want because it goes on "Eat ONLY what you need to not be hungry." Eat meals on time. You should be just getting hungry when it's time to eat next.

Typically I eat 3 saugage links & 2 eggs for breakfast... but I am testing, one less egg VS one less link. Today I did one less egg & was not hungry before lunch. I DO measure meals... but it's not a bad thing. Do NOT be afraid to test yourself as to your food needs.

I am guilty of eating too much to be sure I was not hungry but I did not lose. Because of disability my activity is minimal & my previous Atkins run was quite successful but it leads me to believe I'm Metabolic Challenged.

3fatcats 03-24-2013 02:15 PM

I do atkins usually...this menu was aimed at the ketogenic diet. The chicken sausages are 1 carb a link..alfresco brand. Atkins has always worked...until I get to 172-174 ish... was stuck for 8 months so I uppe the carbs without gaining, figuring it was my set spot. I am not happy with that. I have a good amount of belly fat that I am not comfortable with.

mom23kids 03-24-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3fatcats (Post 16333279)
Meaning, I have 10-15 lbs to go and it seems like in order to lose, I overall have to eat less. I'm big framed like my dad and can definately eat like a man, but it seems like unless I create a calorie deficit too, I won't be able to lose these last lbs. I was 160 in highschool which was string bean me (didn't think so at the time! duh) and I'm 174 now. I can get to 172 and then it stops BLAM! like a brick wall. I got down to 170 once but that was because I was sick. *sigh* I will start running again soon, but it still isn't enough for these last stubborn lbs. I'm reading the Dr. Phiney? thread. I'll start trying a calorie deficit with higher fat. Does this menu look right? It's really hard to get these %'s right.

eggs (2), bacon (3pcs) lard (2 tablespoon), onion (1/8 cup), pickle (2), chicken sausage (7), sour cream (1/2 cup) ground beef (1-1/2 cup), olive oil (2 tbl)

Totals: 1680 cals, 134 fat, 14.8 carbs, 102 protein Fat 71% carbs 3% protein 25%

I will have to "drink" more olive oil to get the fat up, but then my calories go up. Is there something I should change for dietary ketosis? I am hungry on anything less than 120 gr or protein. :cry: I don't like being hungry. Makes me like this...:mad:

Thanks is advance for the suggestions

Your body might just need a break from weight loss mode, if you're really struggling with the last few pounds. I also was having trouble with my last few pounds so I called goal early and declared February as a trial run for maintenance. After a few weeks I felt refreshed and went back to weight loss mode and effortlessly lost my last few pounds, and in fact lost a couple more than my goal weight :) My body just needed a break from losing weight. Maybe try a maintenance break for a bit and see if that helps :)

evas 03-25-2013 10:20 AM

IMHO we have forgotten, as a society, that's it's OK to be hungry! There is a sliding scale for hunger and I don't think that any diet program should ever leave you starving but a little mild hunger is totally fine! Do we really need to be completely full all day long? No, I don't think so, but people have gotten so used to starting to eat in the morning and carrying it through until they go bed and to some degree I think people are obsessed with staying full. I realize that for some people it can make it easier to not overindulge (get really hungry and then binge) but really it also forces you to restrict a lot more because you're eating more times throughout the day so you're going to have to restrict what you eat more if you want to continue to lose weight.

I let myself get hungry before I eat and if I'm not ACTUALLY hungry then I don't eat, even if it's "lunch time" and I think I "should" be eating. If there's no hunger, there's no need to eat (aside from psychological :p)

Also, there is a sliding scale for being full. After you eat, it ranges from "not hungry anymore" to actually FULL. I try to shoot for the full that is "just not hungry anymore" instead of the "I'm really full feeling."

NineOhNine 03-25-2013 10:33 AM

I'm much less hungry eating low-carb than I ever was eating a high-carb ad lib diet--thanks to steady blood sugar and lower insulin production.

Knittering 03-25-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

IMHO we have forgotten, as a society, that's it's OK to be hungry!
Yes, this! Hunger is not an emergency.

I do think there's a difference between being hungry before you eat and still feeling hunger after you finish a meal. The later is no fun at all and I clearly remember those days from when I was doing WW.

3fatcats 03-25-2013 03:16 PM

Hunger is not an emergency, unless you are me. Within minutes of waking up my tummy is growling. If I leave it got too long, I feel sick. Same with meals. I for sure don't pig out (1 large chicken breast does not a meal make). But if I don't eat when I am hungry, I'm a beast in no time. I'm not diabetic nor hypo, everything has been tested. Been like this since I was a kid. I'm a breakfast girl!

I did notice today that I was less hungray with the poop load of fat that I'm eating. It does make me miss actual food, though. I'm trying to weigh my portions of meat so I don't overdo it. Man I miss eating more food even though I wasn't losing....staying the same, but just not losing.

Leo41 03-25-2013 03:28 PM

I've found that I do best eating to my hunger. That is, I'm always a big breakfast eater--in fact, it's my biggest meal of the day.

When I first started losing weight, I was fearful that eating that much so early in the day would set me up for overeating, but it's exactly the opposite. By satisfying myself early, I'm not hungry later on.

So I try to eat according to my 'biorhythms.' I'm a 'morning person, so it's natural that I eat early.

I also do not eat 'high fat.' I focus on getting my minimum of protein and keeping my carbs low (because I'm very carb sensitive). I don't restrict fat, but I don't add it unnecessarily--just what is normal for preparing food or in the food itself.

Because I'm so resistant to loss, I tried the Atkins fat fast some time ago, but it just wasn't enough 'real food' for me. Protein satiates me much more than fat.

This may be because I'm an 'older' woman, and I've read that we do best with moderate fat intake. That's certainly true for me.

biancasteeplechase 03-25-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3fatcats (Post 16333279)
I'm 174 now. I can get to 172 and then it stops BLAM! like a brick wall. I got down to 170 once but that was because I was sick.

How long have you been at this point? Some people have temporary plateaus that sort themselves out after a few weeks if they stay on plan.