Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What do you put in your coffee? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800154-what-do-you-put-your-coffee.html)

moonmirror 03-23-2013 07:20 AM

What do you put in your coffee?

I have run the gamut on this: I've done whipping cream; but it feels too heavy and sometimes gives me heartburn. Half and half too; kind of sets up the day wrong (I eat more afterward? Don't know why) so I've done coconut milk with stevia, almond milk with stevia, almond milk alone...lately because it seems to work better for me physically just black coffee. But I get tired of black coffee. Sigh.

I'd like something light, lower in calories, non-dairy, minimal AS...

Someone needs to invent something that creams a coffee well but doesn't spike food sensitivities or have too many calories!

DiamondDeb 03-23-2013 07:25 AM

I add a little stevia to my coffee.

I used half & half for quite a while but discovered my coffee tastes fine without it a few years ago and have not used it since. I rarely eat any dairy foods now.

astribling 03-23-2013 08:29 AM

I use the Coffee Mate sugar free creamers. They have some great flavors. I know it's not "real" food, but it's one of those things I just won't give up. And it doesn't have any more carbs than half and half.

Knittering 03-23-2013 10:13 AM

I use coconut oil. It gives me lots of energy!

picklepete 03-23-2013 10:26 AM

Alas I'm a giant SF syrup junkie. Toffee, caramel, marshmallow, praline, dulce de leche are pretty convincing. I froth it with equal parts coconut milk.

Some people mix cinnamon or cocoa into the grounds, or add vanilla extract later. Without a sweetener it can really backfire though.

wicked 03-23-2013 10:30 AM

3 tablespoons of coconut cream concentrate from Tropical Traditions, tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoons of HWC, 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa and 16 oz. brewed coffee. AS to taste. The coffee you use will make a big difference in taste also. The butter is an optional mood thing for me when trying to add fat for the day. I usually get 6-8 hours on this for breakfast alone before hunger hits.

MissJuly2013 03-23-2013 10:58 AM

Have you tried soya milk? As long as your water isn't quite boiling, it shouldn't curdle.

debstin 03-23-2013 11:14 AM

I usually put a little hwc, cinnamon et stevia. Sometimes will add a little sf syrup:vanilla,hazelnut or caramel. And i put it in a contigo brand insulated coffee container and it stays warm from 7 til noon !!! Great product.

synger 03-23-2013 11:55 AM

I drink it black at work.

I use coconut oil and hwc at home.

I use creamer at church.

Knittering 03-23-2013 12:22 PM

Wow, wicked -- I'm calculating your coffee drink at 1,100 calories! I'm not surprised you get 6-8 hours out of that. :)

marieze 03-23-2013 12:46 PM

Always a dash of cinammon in the grounds, 2-3 Tbl. Coconut Oil and heavy whipping cream....EVERY MORNING!

kitcub 03-23-2013 03:37 PM

A small splash of heavy cream and a packet of Splenda. Really, it's the only sweetener I like the taste of and it doesn't give me problems. I avoid aspartame like the plague and I've tried Stevia (even the brands people say are good) and I can't get over the bitter aftertaste. I keep saying I'm gonna try putting coconut oil in my coffee and haven't tried it yet.

Ntombi 03-23-2013 04:01 PM

Mostly, I drink tea with HWC and a drop of liquid Splenda, but when I make coffee, I have it with HWC, sometimes with liquid splenda, sometimes with SF syrup. I do sometimes add a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg to the grounds before brewing.

moonmirror 03-23-2013 05:00 PM

Wicked's drink should only be about 5-600? unless coconut cream is ...extremely...caloric!

You guys are serious coffee connoisseurs. I need to try some of these :)

Maryposa 03-23-2013 05:23 PM

Maybe it's the fat plus coffee that is giving you tummy troubles? I know some people here eat very high fat and feel great... personally I can't do low fat, but nearly all fat on an empty stomach first thing in the morning isn't great for my digestive system either, apparently.

I recently purchased lc foods low carb milk powder (netrition carries it) and I don't know if it will work in hot coffee or not, but I have blended it with ice, coffee and splenda in the blender to make an iced one and it was fine (I prefer calorie countdown milk to the milk powder)

Another one is, as mentioned above... calorie countdown milk (hood brand) my ralphs (kroger) does not carry it, but stater bros does. It was originally called CARB countdown, but they changed the name (I guess to appeal to a wider crowd, and it is lower in calories than regular milk) it also comes in chocolate which might be good in coffee too :)

And another I like in coffee is Gosh That's Good! brand sugar free white velvet chocolate mix which is a powder and does add some creaminess to the coffee. I think it tastes wonderful, and after buying the smaller tub, I bought the 2.5lb tub, I like it that much! Both are here on netrition, too.

ravenrose 03-23-2013 06:18 PM

I LOVE Hood Calorie Countdown 2% chocolate milk in mine!

GAVIV 03-23-2013 07:15 PM

a splash of sugar free vanilla creamer and ez-sweetz.

tinamanni 03-23-2013 08:00 PM

hwc and splenda!

Butternut 03-23-2013 08:23 PM

Half n Half

kiwistars 03-23-2013 08:43 PM

HWC (a trickle)and 'bettasweet' (stevia and erythritol).

Bobbette78 03-24-2013 09:17 AM

I've just recently started adding a tsp of coconut oil and a dash of cinnamon. Love it!

makrida 03-24-2013 11:07 AM

sugar free hazelnut creamer...it sweetens and whitens in one so I don't add any other sweetener. If I don't have that I would use HWC and a packet of sweetener

Strawberry 03-24-2013 11:24 AM

I got 485 calories for Wickeds coffee drink... but considering that is almost as many cals in a big mac, yeah, I can see where that would last 6 hrs. And I wouldnt recommend it for something to sip in the afternoon, that would have to qualify as breakfast.

I usually use regular milk and sweetner of some sort = like Pete, I really love the flavored syrups!

wicked 03-24-2013 01:58 PM

I guess I better not mention the occasional indulgent splash of Irish Cream that may find it's way in there every now and then!:D

And yes, I do use it as a high fat, liquid breakfast. Many times I don't get hungry til 2pm. Then I'll eat a late lunch and only tea til breakfast. Broke a long stall at 210lbs. with this method of eating heavy in the morning and not eating after 5pm at the latest.

moonmirror 03-24-2013 10:32 PM

Yeah I do better with fat than sugar, that is for SURE, but fat for some reason digests better with me if I eat a complete meal with plenty of meat protein and vegetables.

It also could be the acidic component of the coffee combined with heavy fats causing some heartburn.

~PaperMoon~ 03-24-2013 10:54 PM

I just use powdered creamer and sweet n low. :dunno: Nothing fancy I just love coffee no need to add any kind of boost to it, I never get bored with just reg coffee. :)

What is HWC?

Maryposa 03-24-2013 10:59 PM

regarding powdered creamer, all the stuff I have seen lists hfcs solids as a top ingredient, so when I started low carbing I stopped using it. If someone can add just 1tbsp I would not criticize that choice, but I like my coffee LIGHT (my grandpa who drinks his coffee black with 1 equal packet teases that I like a little coffee in my cream! :o) and that would just be too much high fructose corn syrup first thing in the morning for me :(

~PaperMoon~ 03-24-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 16333742)
I got 485 calories for Wickeds coffee drink... but considering that is almost as many cals in a big mac, yeah, I can see where that would last 6 hrs. And I wouldnt recommend it for something to sip in the afternoon, that would have to qualify as breakfast.

I usually use regular milk and sweetner of some sort = like Pete, I really love the flavored syrups!

Wow! :eek: That would definitely have to be a once in a blue moon indulgence for me. :)

~PaperMoon~ 03-24-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryposa (Post 16334514)
regarding powdered creamer, all the stuff I have seen lists hfcs solids as a top ingredient, so when I started low carbing I stopped using it. If someone can add just 1tbsp I would not criticize that choice, but I like my coffee LIGHT (my grandpa who drinks his coffee black with 1 equal packet teases that I like a little coffee in my cream! :o) and that would just be too much high fructose corn syrup first thing in the morning for me :(

Yeah, I used to load my coffee up with tons of creamer and tons of real pure sugar! I used to have coffe in my creamer and sugar too. :D And I used to drink 2-3 big cups a day! But now I just use 1 spoon of creamer and sweet n low and drink 1 cup a day, so for me that's a huge improvement. :)

Ntombi 03-25-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ (Post 16334513)
I just use powdered creamer and sweet n low. :dunno: Nothing fancy I just love coffee no need to add any kind of boost to it, I never get bored with just reg coffee. :)

What is HWC?

HWC is heavy whipping cream.

I can't stand powdered creamer. :sick: that stuff is full of chemicals and tastes like it. I use HWC, sometimes half & half, and if I can't get either, I'll skip the coffee altogether.