Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Non-perishables

The thread about meal planning got me thinking about what to stock in a proper kitchen. I buy meat and produce once a week and try to avoid anything that's too ready-to-eat, so this is what I keep around:

Cupboard
• oils -- coconut, olive, avocado, macadamia
• vinegars -- wine, rice, malt
• soy sauce, fish sauce
• salt, pepper
• alkali / acid salts -- baking soda, cream of tartar, aluminium-free baking powder
• dry spices -- cinnamon, taco blend, curry blend, Chinese five spice, toasted sesame
• cocoa powder
• liquid extracts -- vanilla, peppermint
• tea, coffee
• sweeteners -- erythritol powder, stevia liquid, sucralose liquid

Refrigerator
• butter
• grated cheese, crumbled cheese
• pickled vegetables
• olives
• condiments -- mustard, horseradish, cayenne sauce
• filtered water, seltzer, iced tea

Freezer
• berries
• nuts
• non-grain flours

I wonder what I'm missing. What's in yours?
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I LOVE fresh veggies and find that I am always running out, so I make sure I keep a stash of red peppers and broccoli--they seem to last longer for me IDK. I also have a bag of kale that I plan to bake into kale chips some day. I have a dozen eggs at any time, cream, lots of cheeses, Chinese garlic chili sauce, reduced soy sauce, lots of other low carby sauces... and in my cupboard it's kind of funny because I have a ton of LUNA bars (my previous sponsor) and also gu products I will likely rarely eat or use, except for the sugar free Gu electrolytes I am saving for a hot summer day. My friends tell me when they need LUNA bars and I dole them out, but somehow I still have several cases. I also have lots of different kinds of oils, sunflower, safflower, olive, canola, peanut... in my freezer I have bags of frozen fish, frozen meats, and frozen butter. There is a stale 1/2 loaf of low carb bread that I'm not sure what to do with. I have sugar free jam that was never opened.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I always have a few cartons of Kitchen Basics chicken broth around. I sometimes keep real homemade broth in the freezer but it gets used up quickly!

I keep canned tomatoes on hand (Cue someone to tell me about BPA, I know know...)

Various salad dressings in the refrigerator.

Various frozen veggies in freezer - green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, stir fry mix, kale, trader joes frozen leeks (trying to figure out what to make with them!)
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I have most of what's in yours, Pete, minus the berries and nut stuff (allergies), plus several types of block cheeses on top of the grated and crumbled. I also have several tubs of soft cheeses, cream cheese and Boursin cheeses.

I also have about ten different hot sauces, about five or six different chili peppers in the fridge (whole, fresh and pickled), and at least that many ground chilies and a couple of chili oils in the cupboard. I like spice.

I don't keep much in the way of snacks around, but I usually have at least one package of hard salami in the fridge. Sometimes a bag of pork rinds in the cupboard, mostly used to cook with.

I stock up on meats when there are sales on choices I like, so I almost always have at least several weeks' worth of meat in the chest freezer at any given time. I do the same with soda, even though I don't drink a ton.

I keep chicken bones and the end bits of veggies in the freezer too, waiting to be turned into broth. Then I freeze the broth into ice cubes to be added to whatever I need.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
For the leeks, I had an amazing leek and cheese (smoked Gouda, IIRC) soup at a friend's house a few months back. I get you could make that LC fairly easily. It was delicious, and they said it was from a standard cookbook, maybe the Joy of Cooking?
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shrinkingviolet
Stats: 230/226/140
WOE: Atkins tweaked my way :)
Start Date: Oct 2010, restarting Mar 2013
Carbquik is my new must have storecupboard ingredient but I always keep eggs, bacon and sausages in in case I'm feeling uninspired and just want a good old Atkins fry up. I also have plenty of cheese, canned tomatoes, pesto in jars etc to go with Dreamfields pasta....which I also keep in stock and cabbage, cauli, mayonnaise, salad ingreds etc. I have cooked chicken chunks in the freezer for quick and easy meals, and coconut milk for quick curries. Nothing out of the ordinary. I have a stash of zero carb sweets but I can't have more than one or two per day or my digestive tract rebels, it's the polyols
Shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
Adding to the original post and other posters (unless I missed).. I also have..

- canned chicken in case I need a quick lunch
- frozen cheesesteak style beef - again for a quick lunch
- diet hot chocolate - it's my daily snack
- pork rinds - for coating or snacking
- American deluxe cheese for my cheese crackers when I need a carb replacement for Mexican or Spanish food

I think that's about all
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
I keep the stuff you do, Pete, plus:

Chicken and beef broth
Coconut milk
Coconut butter
Flaked coconut
Capers
Canned tomatoes, fire-roasted and regular
Canned peppers
Canned artichoke hearts
Frozen broccoli and cauliflower for soups
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Pretty much everything that all posters have said, plus these additional items are staples for me:

spaghetti squash (they keep for a couple of weeks in the pantry)
jars of Ragu Alfredo sauce (delicious over the spaghetti squash)

pork rinds
cream cheese
Atkins bars - for emergencies
greek yogurt
mama lupe tortillas

Last edited by astribling; 03-23-2013 at 07:02 AM..
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by creseis View Post
in my freezer I have bags of frozen fish
I should do that--the availability of good affordable fish comes and goes so quickly it stresses me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I also have about ten different hot sauces
I like the way you think! I've got some Trader Joe's habanero and Frank's redhot at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Canned artichoke hearts
I should do that too. I discovered I'm way too lazy to deal with fresh artichokes.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shrinkingviolet
Stats: 230/226/140
WOE: Atkins tweaked my way :)
Start Date: Oct 2010, restarting Mar 2013
I keep frozen fish in the freezer too, it's really convenient. I buy bulk packs of salmon fillets and white fish plus smoked haddock for chowder. Couldn't be without also frozen beef mince and lamb mince, cooked chicken, and low carb cake I've portioned beforehand for treats
Shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
We keep burgers, shrimp, and Steak-Umms in the freezer, along with frozen veggies.

I can chicken, pork, and beef, and keep that in the pantry, along with canned tuna, sardines, and kippers. Canned tomatoes, salsa, and beans.

My spice cupboard is pretty full, and I have five hot sauces. I also keep a stir-fry sauce and a barbeque sauce on hand in the fridge

Fridge always has eggs, cheese, sour cream and cream. Pepperoni and hot dogs. Salad greens, radishes, celery, carrots.

Butter, bacon grease, roasted garlic olive oil, coconut oil, ghee, olive oil, and some other kind of oil (used to be macadamia nut, now it's flax -- for salad dressing). I also keep chicken fat and pork fat for cooking, when I have enough left over from roasting meat.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Heinz low carb ketchup, homemade BBQ sauce made from said ketchup, Tyson Tequila lime wings (frozen), bacon jerky. (Oberto is pretty good- 1 carb per ounce) Liquid smoke, worcestershire sauce, flax seeds (whole) flax meal, chia seeds, homemade peanut butter

Also, Blue Diamond unsweetened almond milk- boxed like chicken broth and shelf-stable, although the refrigerated kind tastes better and is cheaper for some reason.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Oh, I forgot jars of roasted red peppers!

Other good jarred items - marinated artichoke hearts, pickles, olives, hearts of palm, baby corn (surprisingly low in carbs compared to regular corn)
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Ah let's see:

Frozen meats, berries, and veggies, as well as gf bread for the kids and some dark chocolate.

Fridge: produce, spicy sausage, coconut milk that was opened, coconut yogurt for the kids, condiments, deli turkey for the kids, fancy Pellegrino water for a treat drink instead of alcohol for my husband and myself.

Cupboards: sweet potatoes, onions, garlic, coconut oil, spices, nuts, canned fish, Lara bars, Kind bars, raisins, coconut flakes and flour, almond flour, coconut butter, trail mix (nuts and dried fruit...for school lunches)... And that's it!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote